GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on the overall reliability of the GSXS1000? There is surprisingly little info on the subject when searching the net. It's been out for 5 years now, enough time to start getting a feel for how the bikes hold up overall. I bought my '16 1000F new in early 2017 before any real testimonials could be written but figured at least the motor should be pretty proven given it's essentially a detuned GSXR motor from the mid 2000's.

About the only real complaints I've read is fairly minor stuff like a sticking ignition lock and thin paint. Personally I've experienced the sticking ignition and every once in a great while my starter fails to "catch" which is kinda worrying and pretty embarrassing. Also my front brakes would randomly go "soft" like air was in the lines if the bike sat for a while. I changed the fluid and re-bled the system and haven't had it happen in over a year now. My bike currently has a little over 12K miles which is hardly a test of longevity.

Would be interested to hear from some owners that put some real miles on one of these bikes and what to expect. I usually keep a bike for a long time and could easily see myself riding this for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
have 16 all stock...still have same battery around 28000 miles... its not waxed cleaned or babyed .... chain gets lubed not to often ,two three times a year ,,,, sits for 5 to 6 months every year no tender and fires right up when its time...cant see getting another bike for a long time

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,458 Posts
39400 miles no mechanical or electrical problems other than checking/adjusting the TPS setting.
Depending on how particular you are, you might want to change the brake pads and the rear shock.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ditto.
30k and it’s only been tires fuel, pads and a chain and sprocket.
The finish isn’t as good As when it was new but but it still scrubs up quite well considering I ride all year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
18½k & all year round commuter , I've been caught in copious rainfalls too.

I've customised the bike alot from the air filter , air box , decat , battery , indicators , Handlebars , brake pads , Boosterplug , SparkPlugs , Crash bungs , sprocket change ,& travelled the the south coast up through Wales , through the Midlands , Derbyshire Dales , Yorkshire Dales & Lake District , Norfolk , Suffolk , Essex London & back to the coast.

chain is due for a change ASAP -

I had one issue when pulling hard at about 100mph (only in 4th) the torque would suddenly drop off - I think this may have been a heat issue as its happened 3 times on particularly hot days.

Bikes legendary - I really want a KTM 1290 SuperDuke R - WHEN i get one i have no intention of selling the GSX-S it's a wonderful machine

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can't think of a single reliability issue I've had. Tires gas and oil are pretty much it. It's treated me great so far.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've seriously been considering a change to a triumph speed rs or a Yamaha mt10-sp.
5 minutes spent perusing their associated forums and I'm definitely keeping the Suzi.

I know that issues are still rare on modern bikes but ruined gearboxes, engine cutouts, issues starting... right up to the mt10 engines exploding, literally.

The amazing performance and supreme reliability of the gsx-s really can't be overstated. Not to mention the lowest price of all the competition. I think we're all on a winner here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am an experienced rider now riding a KTM Duke 390 in northern Thailand. I had a B-King for almost 8 years in Europe, and I miss it. I'm looking to buy a GSX-S1000 next year. There is something so soothing about the tractability of an litre inline four that you just don't get with twins and smaller engines in general. It goes without saying it will be reliable. My King was totally reliable all the time I had it.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,458 Posts
I am an experienced rider now riding a KTM Duke 390 in northern Thailand. I had a B-King for almost 8 years in Europe, and I miss it. I'm looking to buy a GSX-S1000 next year. There is something so soothing about the tractability of an litre inline four that you just don't get with twins and smaller engines in general. It goes without saying it will be reliable. My King was totally reliable all the time I had it.
You almost got me crying in my coffee, here's my sadly departed.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've seriously been considering a change to a triumph speed rs or a Yamaha mt10-sp.
5 minutes spent perusing their associated forums and I'm definitely keeping the Suzi.

I know that issues are still rare on modern bikes but ruined gearboxes, engine cutouts, issues starting... right up to the mt10 engines exploding, literally.

The amazing performance and supreme reliability of the gsx-s really can't be overstated. Not to mention the lowest price of all the competition. I think we're all on a winner here.
i had a z900 for 6 weeks - 4.5k miles in the clutch went ; notorious issue with that bike

the YouTube vloggers i follow - stated that the GSXS is a really awesome machine for the price - provides a great base to build on & i guess that base starts with that infamous Gixxer engine.

44teeth & Lambchops persuaded me

i joined the KTM forums to find out issues that may happen with the SDR - but I'd keep the gsx-s as a commuter

·
Registered
699 Posts
Best bang for the buck for sure. I've bought and sold several bikes in the last few years, but never considered selling the Gixxus. It's my go-to bike. Always starts and have had zero issues in 4 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My battery died within the first 2 months. Not sure if that was more attributable to the batteries the dealer was using or what. The dealer was 100 miles away so honestly it wasn't worth pursuing much since I got the bike at an absolute steal price.. Bike has been perfect otherwise in the first 8 months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts