GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All .
Been thinking a while about heated grips ( Yep , getting old ) The things that put me off were making a tidy installation , and not wanting the bars looking cluttered up . After a good ride out a week ago slightly marred by cold hands ( i noticed i found it harder to filter and maneuver slowly with cold hands ) i started to watch a few reviews for hot grips .what swayed me was going into local bike shop Saturday morning and seeing a 2016 CB1000r Onda fitted with them , the install was so tidy that i bought a set later that day and fitted them in the afternoon / evening . All pretty straight forward , just need to spend a bit of time planning where to run wires , attach controller etc . I found the best way to hinge the head light forward and hide the connections in there . i also ran the wires for a 12v charger that i had at the same time to save lifting the tank and removing panels at a later date ( need to be able to charge the fone when i go to the IOM next year :)
One thing to watch for is starting the bike with the cowling around the key removed , it has a sensor around the key and if not in place thinks the ignition is being tampered with , allowing the bike to turn over but not start . and showing a FI and management light . It sorted it's self after replacing the cowling . It may of stored a fault code but i'll get it cleared when im passing the dealer .
On a 30 odd mile ride yesterday they were great , set at 75 per cent to warm up then no more than 40 from then . They have an intelligent controller that senses voltage drop and turns them off if you leave them on after shutting bike down .
hot grips 1.jpg

Hot grips 2.jpg

Hot grips 3.jpg

Hot grips 4.jpg

Hot grips 5.jpg

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have had the same on every bike I've had, great grips. I mounted the controller to the back of the brake master cylinder using Velcro. A bit more awkward to use but tidier I think as it doesn't stick up so much.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nice One.
I too did the same installation. They make a huge difference. And if you think they are good in the cold, just wait until you get caught in the rain. They can make those unbearable trips, bearable-just;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Installed the same kit on my GSXS.
Not happy with the throttle grip, and I see it seems to be even more gap/improper fitment on the pictures here.
Difficult to get it over the plastic throttle grip and the Oxford grip have no groove that fit the plastic grip as the OEM grip has.
But the heating is nice and works wonder in cold weather. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes tbh I cut off the plastic stopper for the original grip , then removed the ridges to which you refer and got It sitting really snug up to the end of the tube . Then when I went for the final fit with the glue supplied I was too slow and didn't get it up tight enough 🙁 To late to do anything other than live with it now , and hope no one notices 😜

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes tbh I cut off the plastic stopper for the original grip , then removed the ridges to which you refer and got It sitting really snug up to the end of the tube . Then when I went for the final fit with the glue supplied I was too slow and didn't get it up tight enough 🙁 To late to do anything other than live with it now , and hope no one notices 😜
Same with me.
Since I am a little nitpick I bought spare OEM grips if someone should complain about my installation (when selling/trade in the bike for new one) :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same with me.
Since I am a little nitpick I bought spare OEM grips if someone should complain about my installation (when selling/trade in the bike for new one) :)
Ok it got to me in the end so i did this
Hot grips 6.jpg
Went through the bin and found the off cut from the open end of the grip so that it matches the rubber , trimmed it up and stuck it in the gap . Now all i gotta do is convince myself that's how it was meant to be :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had this Oxford in my last bandit; now I've just fitted the tecnoglobe in my Gsx-s. The control is located in left grip, very small.

oxford was warmer than tecnoglobe, but this is enough for me.

I made all the installation behind the main light, here there is a connector with 12v when ignition is ON, I think this connector is for warm grips original.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have the Oxford Heaterz on the V-strom and love them. Recently I've been seriously looking for some heated gloves, but there were issues every way I turned. Finally just ordered a set of Oxfords for the GSXS, too. I'm still amazed at how inexpensive they are - you get a lot of stuff for just $90 and it is good quality. Has to be one of the best values out there in motorcycle accessories.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had Oxfords on my first fj09 my second FJ09 (crashed the first one ) I had factory heated grips. The Oxfords work better !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had two sets of Oxford heated grips. Same problem with both (be warned) the power wire going back to the battery broke, internally, somewhere near the head-stock. So when installing, if you run the wires back to the batter, be sure to leave lots of slack.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Finally installed the Oxfords I got for Christmas yesterday. Pretty straight forward, but I did spend a lot of time trimming, sanding the throttle tube. I used a Dremel to cutoff/level all of the ridges and the collars at either end, then hand sanded it smooth from there. The wiring is "Plug & Play", especially on a naked since it is very easy to get the pieces off required to lift the gas tank (I ran the wires to the battery as stated in the instructions).

I used Weather Stripping Adhesive from the the auto parts store, rather than the supplied Super Glue that came with the grips. It gives you more time to slide the grips into position, and still bonds very well once set. I had to cut a brand new grip off of my wife's bike a few months ago because the super glue set before I could get it slid on all the way onto the throttle tube. That was an $80 mistake since the Kuryakyn grips for her bike only come in pairs. Lesson Learned though.....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Be sure to cover the bodywork if using the superglue supplied. In my haste banging them on before the glue set, some squirted out and on to the plastics. Didn't see it until too late.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Also, if you install the grip to the throttle tube with it on the bike, don't put glue on the grip or the tube will scrape it off and it will run between the tube and bar. Will seem fine right away until you come back the next day to ride.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
In the good old days we used to use ladies hairspray instead of glue. It would go on nice and slippery and then set. It was easy to wash off any over spray with just a bit of soap and water.
Never had any problems with a grip moving afterwards and although difficult it wasn’t impossible to get a grip back off if you wanted to change them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts