GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold hands on the way to work early this morning so called in at the local shop and bought a set of Oxford hot grips that were recommended. Never installed them before, is there much to it?

For those that have got them on where have they put the control unit?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cold hands on the way to work early this morning so called in at the local shop and bought a set of Oxford hot grips that were recommended. Never installed them before, is there much to it?

For those that have got them on where have they put the control unit?
Hot grips will work only good and efficient if you install caps as well, otherwise your handpalm will be warm and your hand cold

Reactions: GixxerKev

·
Registered
375 Posts
Probably a bit late now but for years i've been putting heated grips on my bikes and always have the same problem, warm palms but cold fingers and backs of hands. Then i had an epiphany.............. I was introduced to Keis Heated X800 Outer Gloves (Hi Power) - Keis Apparel
They're not cheap but can be found at a better price if you shop around. They plug into a hard wired cable that you run from the battery and can honestly say my hands were so toastie last winter that i actually looked forward to the work commute. If I added up the money spent over the years on heated grips and there less than adequate performance compared to the one off cost of these gloves and there excellent performance then they would, in my view, have paid for themselves after one winter.
Now to answer your question - in the past i've fitted the control box to the top yolk on sports bikes and fitted a bracket to the bars on naked's, ( usually get one with most brands ). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers. Never bothered with them before just have a selection of gloves but with mornings like this when it was cold and I knew it was going to get hot later I didn't want to wear bulky gloves.

Might stick them on over the weekend as it looks like another wet one. The bracket that screws to the clutch lever mount will need a 20mm offset to miss the mirror bracket so looks like I will have to make something up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Heath Robinson springs to mind, the master of man cave constructions. My hero ....:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All fitted no problem, couldn't have been too taxing because I ended up doing it after a gallon of Old Speckled Hen last night!

Had to make a new bracket up to hold the controller and file down the raised bits on the throttle twist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I checked out Oxford Heat Grips and they come in different flavours and sizes, would anyone know which ones to buy?

They come as Premium Sports and Adventure types I think. How easy is it to install them? Do they come with a plug that plugs right in?

Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm with Lee711! Over this winter, I've been using Gerbing G3 heated gloves. The gloves themselves are the softest leather I've ever come across, giving me plenty of feel. The whole hand stays warm and the controller hooks on the belt of my jacket for easy access. I bought the gloves and controller for under US$200 which is more than grips but not expensive in absolute terms. Won't ever go back to heated grips.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I installed the Oxford grips on mine last winter and got on great with them.
I was still using my summer gloves well into January before I switched to my winter ones. Heated gloves would probably be the way to go for prolonged trips but they were more than adequate for my 40minute commute.
If I remember correctly the different types are really just the grip pattern and ond one model is for small bikes.
There are a couple of links and pictures in this old post worth having a look at.
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-general-discussion/23410-heated-grips-photo.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
love my oxfords, I use mine in the aussie summer on long rides on a low temp to help blood circulate in the hands, works an absolute treat!

besides filing the throttle grip down no drams on installing as you found! enjoy

·
Registered
974 Posts
I always had circulation problems in my hands on my 1400 but not once has it been an issue on this bike, no idea why as its almost the same seating position

·
Registered
13 Posts
love my oxfords, I use mine in the aussie summer on long rides on a low temp to help blood circulate in the hands, works an absolute treat!
Hi, which type did you get? Sports or Touring. Just going thru this forum I see diverging opinions which type is more suitable for our bikes.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I bought the Sports version but wish I hadn't, the pimples dig into my hands between thumb and forefinger when braking. I would get the touring version next time.
Also to keep things looking tidier I mounted the control unit to the front brake master cylinder with Velcro rather than use the ugly bracket supplied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts