GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a two part question.

#1- I have the bodywork pulled and am prepared to raise the tank to plug the PAIR valve. It is supposed to be on the RH side of the air box but I don't know what to look for. Can someone provide some details of exactly what I am looking for and what I need to do. A picture would be best. I think I am supposed to unplug a hose and insert a marble and plug it back up.

#2- I wasn't thinking when I pulled the bodywork to do this mod before realizing there is more fuel in the tank than I had when I pulled the ECU. I remember if you have too much fuel some fuel can leak out when you tilt up the tank. I have exactly 100 miles on the odometer since filling up so that means I have about a half a tank of fuel. Will it be possible for me to raise the tank enough to plug the PAIR valve without spilling fuel or should I ride the bike another 50 miles before raising the tank?

thanks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You can still lift the tank as normal, just much heavier with fuel. Have a wooden dowel or something ready to hold the tank propped up.

There are threads on the PAIR valve marble with pics, just google it on the Forum.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is a two part question.

#1- I have the bodywork pulled and am prepared to raise the tank to plug the PAIR valve. It is supposed to be on the RH side of the air box but I don't know what to look for. Can someone provide some details of exactly what I am looking for and what I need to do. A picture would be best. I think I am supposed to unplug a hose and insert a marble and plug it back up.

#2- I wasn't thinking when I pulled the bodywork to do this mod before realizing there is more fuel in the tank than I had when I pulled the ECU. I remember if you have too much fuel some fuel can leak out when you tilt up the tank. I have exactly 100 miles on the odometer since filling up so that means I have about a half a tank of fuel. Will it be possible for me to raise the tank enough to plug the PAIR valve without spilling fuel or should I ride the bike another 50 miles before raising the tank?

thanks
I lifted the tank without leakage at around the same mileage.

Marble goes at the arrow. I used vacuum caps instead, 3/4" on hose, 5/8" on airbox port, assorted pack at O'Reilly for like $4.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the great information. I will consider the vacuum caps as well. I hope to finish up later tonight so I will post an update afterwards.

I actually am not sure if I can find a marble at home. If I have to go buy marbles (don't think I can buy just one) wouldn't I be better off getting the caps?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the great information. I will consider the vacuum caps as well. I hope to finish up later tonight so I will post an update afterwards.

I actually am not sure if I can find a marble at home. If I have to go buy marbles (don't think I can buy just one) wouldn't I be better off getting the caps?
Anything that plugs the tube will do. I used a screw in my SV1000, worked fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Related question: I had my ECU re-flashed by Dano's a few weeks ago. The throttle is much smoother and the bike is much more enjoyable now but it can "hunt" or do the "jitter bug" at small throttle openings at low speeds. I emailed Danos about the issue and he said to plug the PAIR valve and report back to him. How do you all feel about plugging the PAIR valve actually helping with this issue? It isn't really noticeable until you go thru a small town or in traffic where you find yourself running maybe 35 mph in 3rd or 4th gear. The tach will bounce up and down. Kind of annoying. My local shop mechanic seems to think the PAIR valve can certainly effect the issue I am having. Do most owners plug the PAIR valve when having any type of ECU work done? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Related question: I had my ECU re-flashed by Dano's a few weeks ago. The throttle is much smoother and the bike is much more enjoyable now but it can "hunt" or do the "jitter bug" at small throttle openings at low speeds. I emailed Danos about the issue and he said to plug the PAIR valve and report back to him. How do you all feel about plugging the PAIR valve actually helping with this issue? It isn't really noticeable until you go thru a small town or in traffic where you find yourself running maybe 35 mph in 3rd or 4th gear. The tach will bounce up and down. Kind of annoying. My local shop mechanic seems to think the PAIR valve can certainly effect the issue I am having. Do most owners plug the PAIR valve when having any type of ECU work done? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Plugging the PAIR is really common when you get the bike tuned and put on an after market system. I cuts down on the air being slammed into the exhaust to meet regulations.

When I finally get my Yoshi header in I am definitely going to be blocking off mine. As far as just blocking it with the factory system still in place I am not sure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am not sure either. My local dealer (mechanic) and Danos certainly seem to think it could be causing the issue. I will report back after I get the valve plugged to report the results. I hope it does the trick. Danos recommends going to the dealer to check for other issues if this does not work. The first question Danos asked me when I emailed him about the "hunting" was "what type of exhausts do you have?" Is it the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that looks like good stuff.

I hope plugging the PAIR valve will resolve this steady, light throttle issue. We will see.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I have the tank raised and have pulled the PAIR valve air hose off the air box. I had to go buy a bag of marbles just to get one. Anyway I am ready to plug the hose with the marble but it looks like it might be difficult to remove the marble later if I need or want to. I am considering buying some vacuum caps and using those instead like gsxsdave.
What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ok, so I have the tank raised and have pulled the PAIR valve air hose off the air box. I had to go buy a bag of marbles just to get one. Anyway I am ready to plug the hose with the marble but it looks like it might be difficult to remove the marble later if I need or want to. I am considering buying some vacuum caps and using those instead like gsxsdave.
What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
You're overthinking it all mate. You can plug it with literally anything. I personally can't see that PAIR is your problem. Sounds like a fuelling issue to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was just thinking that when I had my GsxR600 and got it flashed I tried leaving the o2 sensor active and that caused some surging while cruising as the ECU was trying to override the flash. It wasn't a sudden, erratic behavior just more of a gradual surging. Not sure if this applies in this situation, just thought I'd bring it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just thinking that when I had my GsxR600 and got it flashed I tried leaving the o2 sensor active and that caused some surging while cruising as the ECU was trying to override the flash. It wasn't a sudden, erratic behavior just more of a gradual surging. Not sure if this applies in this situation, just thought I'd bring it up.

I asked both Danos and my local dealer mechanic if they thought it could be the O2 sensor if plugging the PAIR did not resolve the issue. Both of them said they did not think it would be the O2 sensor. Danos said plug the PAIR and ride the bike and report back to him with the results. If it does not resolve the issue he will dig deeper into the problem. I will plug the PAIR tonight and hopefully ride the bike tomorrow or Saturday. It is raining everyday here :( so this is taking longer than I anticipated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the PAIR plugged with the marble tonight and got all the bodywork back on. Hope to ride tomorrow or Saturday and report back with the results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your kidding. You are leaving us all hanging. You must have a similar situation as I. I got mine all buttoned up last monday night about 1:00 am and so wanted to take it out for a test ride. I waited to morning giving my lovely co pilot a chance to sleep.

I am about to do the same and hope for the best but I suspect it will not have that much affect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just rode about 20 miles and it appears plugging the PAIR valve made little to no difference in the surging/hunting at constant throttle at low engine speeds. I will report these results to Danos and see what else he has to say. Just like I said before this is not a deal breaker if I am unable to resolve this. Still a fantastic bike. I don't ride at constant throttle at very low speeds very often so I can deal with it but it is annoying and I would like to resolve it if possible. I will update with more information later if I have more feedback.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Is there anyone who has had their O2 sensor removed and disabled in the ECU that still gets the hunting/surging issue? I had O2 left intact with the M4 system and I get the surging issue at idle, though I haven't noticed it impact ride performance so I let it be. I noticed on YouTube videos many M4 systems don't have this issue when they use a fuel controller but didn't flash their ECU.

Just rode about 20 miles and it appears plugging the PAIR valve made little to no difference in the surging/hunting at constant throttle at low engine speeds. I will report these results to Danos and see what else he has to say. Just like I said before this is not a deal breaker if I am unable to resolve this. Still a fantastic bike. I don't ride at constant throttle at very low speeds very often so I can deal with it but it is annoying and I would like to resolve it if possible. I will update with more information later if I have more feedback.
If Dano's does get the issue sorted, I'll probably send my ECU back.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Is there anyone who has had their O2 sensor removed and disabled in the ECU that still gets the hunting/surging issue? I had O2 left intact with the M4 system and I get the surging issue at idle, though I haven't noticed it impact ride performance so I let it be. I noticed on YouTube videos many M4 systems don't have this issue when they use a fuel controller but didn't flash their ECU.

If Dano's does get the issue sorted, I'll probably send my ECU back.

I have two ECUs, one has the 02 enabled and the other is disabled and they both idle and run exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts