GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these things actually work any better than standard filters. Does anyone have or know of dyno graphs that show there is any benefit to fitting one. I have the dominator pipe and have ordered an Arrow slip on tailpipe and when that's done get a remap primarily to sort out the 2-4000rpm stutter. So would I actually see any improvement by fitting a k+n etc.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There was a forum member here with a custom exhaust who had achieved some of the highest power figures we've seen. Through testing a BMC filter vs stock he found there were no performance benefits and the air flow produced using either filter was greater than required. It isn't the bottleneck in the power delivered by this motor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is a channel on youtube that tested filters. Check this out this link...is crazy.
Project Farm Air Filter Test Video

Basically, yes you get more power with a higher flowing filter, but nothing mind blowing. Usually they do not filter as good as OE style paper element filters.
BUT, was the K&N oiled correctly for the test......so many variables that were not touched on.

Project Farm - is a cool watch on YouTube
Engineering Explained - is another super cool & informative channel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There was a forum member here with a custom exhaust who had achieved some of the highest power figures we've seen. Through testing a BMC filter vs stock he found there were no performance benefits and the air flow produced using either filter was greater than required. It isn't the bottleneck in the power delivered by this motor.
The "bottleneck" is all in the fueling as with any modern motorcycles.
I watched 650ib on YouTube with a brand new 2020 BMW S1000, can't find video at moment, but they are SUPER killed under 8k rpm with the stock ecu tune.
Flashed @ 7500rpm there was a 44hp gain shown. Wicked smooth chart with flash.
Everyone is bitching about that bike because of it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The "bottleneck" is all in the fueling as with any modern motorcycles.
I watched 650ib on YouTube with a brand new 2020 BMW S1000, can't find video at moment, but they are SUPER killed under 8k rpm with the stock ecu tune.
Flashed @ 7500rpm there was a 44hp gain shown. Wicked smooth chart with flash.
Everyone is bitching about that bike because of it.
Definitely. There is nothing to be gained in the air flow department as even with considerably increasing fuel where necessary, no combination of fuel and exhaust modifications
will require more from the airbox as this engine does not get into the 200hp figures. I am certain the airflow is more than adequate, there are other factors that are capping potential power.
Without serious engine work nobody has achieved more than the high 160's and the air filter made no difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
...what is it is called "better"??? As tests have shown, a 'performance' filter simply allows more air by FILTERING LESS. If I poke holes in my stock air filter with a thin screw driver I get an instant 'performance' filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fitted a K&N on my last GSXS only because it came up at a bargain price. I believe that they filter well and have greater surface area providing a higher flow for less pressure drop but don't think they give any power gain on the GSXS1000.
I always wonder how good they are after there first and subsequent cleaning and re-oiling, doesn't seem a great idea when the alternative is to bin & replace s=a cheap paper filter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
...what is it is called "better"??? As tests have shown, a 'performance' filter simply allows more air by FILTERING LESS. If I poke holes in my stock air filter with a thin screw driver I get an instant 'performance' filter.
Doesnt quite work like that , depending on the filter (mine is polyester) the layers & mesh capture shed loads of crap , I checked mine last week while adjusting my boosterplug position.
My box is not dusty & i'll never have to buy another air filter again , my sprint filter will outlast the engine Fact.
The airflow increase will be worthwhile only if you have modded the exhaust headers air in & out is a pretty huge factor.
I've hit 160mph at 9500rpm in 6th & backed off as I do see this as a reckless act (I am on the naked too) the exhaust & filter definitely aid

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fitted a K&N on my last GSXS only because it came up at a bargain price. I believe that they filter well and have greater surface area providing a higher flow for less pressure drop but don't think they give any power gain on the GSXS1000.
I always wonder how good they are after there first and subsequent cleaning and re-oiling, doesn't seem a great idea when the alternative is to bin & replace s=a cheap paper filter.
sprint filter pal , needs no cleaning & oiling , simply use a compressor to shift the debris & pop it back in. Couldnt be arsed with buying new filters & that washing , drying & reoiling rigmarol is something I cannot be bothered with

1 - 13 of 13 Posts