GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm pretty excited. After the long winter, the streets are dry enough now to go pick up my new GSX S1000 which i bought in january. Its still cold as **** but I don't live far from the dealership.

I just want to get her home so i can start with putting the sliders on and fender eliminator I bought. I'm Upgrading from an FZ/MT 07, so this should be quite a new experience owning a bike like this. Wish me luck I don't drop it on my first ride!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Enjoy your new bike :) you may notice a slight power increase, lol

·
Registered
974 Posts
Put the TC on 3 for the trip home as them tyres may be slippery , enjoy and you never got if you don't post a picture

·
Registered
987 Posts
Welcome! Some things to try...Adjust the throttle cable to minimum free-play (no more than 2mm) and check the TPS adjustment in service mode (see thread linked below). I fitted a G2 Throttle Tamer which also helped. A lot of it is just training the wrist; after only a few hundred miles my riding is much smoother. I don't think mine has the same problem some have, but I would still call it an abrupt throttle response. If you haven't already seen this thread, you can read to your heart's content:

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...tions/28994-primary-tps-could-key-snatch.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will re-read that thread again with new interest now that I know first hand what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Super exciting. Wow, how did you manage the 3 months of waiting? You must of been grinning ear to ear for those 3 months and climbing the walls each snow lol. Congrats and be safe.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's a brand new bike, don't go worrying about it, ride it, enjoy it and break it in, the bike is probably 98% perfect so put some miles on it first and let it settle in, if it is too responsive then get a simple throttle tamer as you will not be altering anything of the bike setup.
I find mine reacts differently with different air temperatures so if it's not perfect today then it may be next week so give it a chance and enjoy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Freebird23103, the funny thing is we were starting to get some nice spring weather here in the Montreal area (almost no snow left anywhere) right up until this past Wednesday where we got dumped on with the worst snow storm in 40 years!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@nicka, you are right. I am not too worried, I'm sure it's just something to to get used to. Man this thing sounds amazing even stock form. And it seems way more responsive and fast then the during the demo ride I did this summer...

·
Registered
98 Posts
@nicka, you are right. I am not too worried, I'm sure it's just something to to get used to. Man this thing sounds amazing even stock form. And it seems way more responsive and fast then the during the demo ride I did this summer...
Yep, Blipping the throttle is intoxicating. Best sounding stock exhaust I have ever heard.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Also, if you haven't done so yourself, check the tire pressures. The dealer may or may not have set them properly - I've taken delivery on new bikes that were 5 psi high, and 10 psi low. Fortunately I always take a gauge with me and check before I ride away. I've seen where some have had good luck going down a few psi from stock. I'm no expert on pressures and traction, but a lower pressure should give a larger contact patch and better grip, a plus with new tires. Also, the extra flex will cause the tire to heat up faster, better for cold weather.

Going too low, especially in front will cause slow turn-in and mushy handling. I rode my son's '08 Gixxer 600 right after he picked it up from a private individual. I wasn't used to sport bikes, but I thought the handling was pretty crappy and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Then I checked the tires and they were at least 15 psi low. What a difference that made! (Then proper suspension set-up and new tires made another world of difference, but that's another thread.)

Reactions: dima_cnj

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome! Some things to try...Adjust the throttle cable to minimum free-play (no more than 2mm) and check the TPS adjustment in service mode (see thread linked below). I fitted a G2 Throttle Tamer which also helped. A lot of it is just training the wrist; after only a few hundred miles my riding is much smoother. I don't think mine has the same problem some have, but I would still call it an abrupt throttle response. If you haven't already seen this thread, you can read to your heart's content:

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...tions/28994-primary-tps-could-key-snatch.html

I took your advice and took all the throttle free play out. Worked like a charm! Way easier to control now thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took your advice and took all the throttle free play out. Worked like a charm! Way easier to control now thanks.

Good tip. Been doing this for years, I take all the free play out. Be ready to re adjust in about 500 miles as the cable will stretch, but after 2nd adjustment you should be golden. Enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts