GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have these for about 1500 miles so far. They're fantastic. I've only ever ridden on the PR3s and PR5s, but man, these PR5s are great. Ready for the twisties from **** near cold.

Not even a faint flat spot yet. I've dragged my pegs a few times just on the street with these things when compared to the stock Dunlop that would start slipping not even fully leaned over. I got just a hair over 5,000 miles with stockers. I'm hoping for at least 8000 with this tire. Tons of tread. The tread pattern on the PR4s were never very attractive to me, but these look much better. That's what sold me on these compared to other Michelin's.

I got caught in a couple monsoons (literally), and these things handle wet amazingly. I was able to full throttle 1st in TC1 with only minimal intrusion. Turning was great too, no slippage.

Went with the stock tire size, 190/50. Might try the 190/55 next. Not sure yet.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case someone was on the fence in regards to these tires.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had pilot power before but the road 5 looks like a nice tire. The tread is definitely cooler looking. The wear characteristics they describe really seem to be their main selling point. Opinions May vary but I pretty much think Mitchel makes the best tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Agree with everything you say about them. The 55 profile option is excellent. The tyre is holding up well at 3000 km. The only thing of note is that the soft compound towards the edge currently has a blue hue, as if it runs hot in the twisties. It's winter here in NZ so it's unlikely that they're really cooking. No big deal, just interesting. Running them at 35psi front, 39 psi rear for normal road work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You're not very optimistic are you. The Road 5 should last for 20,000 miles. People were getting that out of the PR4 and the R5 is supposed to have better longevity.
Depends on so many factors, particularly road surface and type and road temperatures etc in addition to how hard you ride, how heavy you are, the state of your suspension and so on. The rear PR3's and 4's on my Street Triple lasted for about 14,000km. On the GSX-S, the rear PR4 and Roadtec 01 lasted for about 12000 km. As long as the Road 5 gives over 10,000 km, that will be fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Road 5 tyres are done after 5500 miles they have been brilliant. Still feel good but need replacing.

Had Roadtech 01's before, they were equally as good, did 6000 miles and you could tell when they were done, went squirrelly over road imperfections and white lines.

Both have more grip in the dry than I have ability, Wet grip on both is greater than my nerve!.

Not sure what to buy next.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Stick with the same.
Why change something your happy with. 5 1/2 k is pretty respectable from a well ridden bike. I was only getting 3 1/2 k out of the Metzler 7rrs and they are the same price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been convinced by the internet that these PR5s are my next tire. I wish I could do it now, but only have 1500 clicks on the stockers and I can't justify it (economically).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Stick with the same.
Why change something your happy with. 5 1/2 k is pretty respectable from a well ridden bike. I was only getting 3 1/2 k out of the Metzler 7rrs and they are the same price
The Road 5's have been very good, as were the Roadtec 01's. Difficult choice between either of them. may give the Conti Road Attack 3 a punt next.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're not very optimistic are you. The Road 5 should last for 20,000 miles. People were getting that out of the PR4 and the R5 is supposed to have better longevity.
Too many burnouts to last nearly that long. >:D

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Too many burnouts to last nearly that long. >:D
Where you been ChicagoAJ? I'm glad to see your still rockin' the GSX-S. I remember when we were both active on FZ-07 forum. If I remember correctly, you had bad luck with your FZ-07. I still miss mine as a commuter hooligan machine, it was nice! ...but not my GXS-S. :D

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where you been ChicagoAJ? I'm glad to see your still rockin' the GSX-S. I remember when we were both active on FZ-07 forum. If I remember correctly, you had bad luck with your FZ-07. I still miss mine as a commuter hooligan machine, it was nice! ...but not my GXS-S. :D
Absolutely slammed with work. We lost someone and I've been doing 3 jobs for the last 6 months. Finally filled the positions so I should have more time now.

My FZ-07 was a problem child. Oil leak by water pump that could never be fixed 100%. Then the swing arm bushing blew out at 2500 miles. It was in for warranty work more than I actually had it. Fun bike though, miss the effortless wheelies. Might get an FZ-09 in the future to mess around on, but I'm keeping my GSXS. >:D>:D>:D

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find even though the tread lasts a long time on the pr 4's, the handling characteristics change lonng before the tread wears out. I end up needing much harder steering input to get leaned over after about 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hello there
that feedback on the Michelin Pilot Road 5's is such good news; at the moment I've still got about a thousand km's left on the 4's which went on the bike at 4Kand they have now done 18K ; in anticipation of them finally getting down to the wearmarkers, I just bought a pair of 5's; asFredFlinstonewould say "Yabba dabba do"

Steve

·
Registered
234 Posts
Which way to go

I had the PR4's which I thought were very good but squared off to early due to too many motorway miles. Currently have PR2's as doing more motorway miles over the winter and they were cheap! Going to replace them for summer and was originally thinking M7rr's but may now go PR5's anybody tried both and can guide me?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had the PR4's which I thought were very good but squared off to early due to too many motorway miles. Currently have PR2's as doing more motorway miles over the winter and they were cheap! Going to replace them for summer and was originally thinking M7rr's but may now go PR5's anybody tried both and can guide me?
I have 5's after 2 sets of Roadtec 01's, a Road 4 and the horrid OEM D214. The front 5 has been on for about 8000 km and the rear for 6000 km as the first one punctured and had to be replaced. All the replacements since the D214 have been 55 profile which give a faster turn-in and a bigger contact patch when leaned over. In terms of both wet and dry weather grip, they are at least the equal of the Roadtecs and I run out of talent before they let go. In terms of wear, my best guess is that the rear will least for around 11,000 km - about the same as the Roadtecs. Might even last a little longer as I fitted a Nitron shock a few months ago. At 6000 km, it has kept its profile well. The front is showing signs of wear on the sides. I live in an area with really twisty roads and heavy countersteering is probably the culprit.

A mate had M7RR's on his F and loved them . Life was under 10000 km and he is now on 5's.

In summary, the Road 5 is an excellent all-weather tyre and I would do a straight replacement. However, the Suzuki is being replaced in the coming weeks after 3 1/2 years of ownership. The new bike will have Road 5's from day1. I guess that's a ringing endorsement!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks Geoff your input is invaluable as always. what is the next bike? not been on the forum much recently so apologies if you have already said

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks Geoff your input is invaluable as always. what is the next bike? not been on the forum much recently so apologies if you have already said
Hi Brent,

You're very welcome! Going for something lighter as a nod to my 7 decades and 5' 8" height, but still want performance. The 2 bikes in the frame are the Street Triple 765 R and the Duke 790. I'm looking after my wife at present following her hip replacement a week ago but as soon as she's a bit more mobile, I'll get a leave pass for the day and do a couple of test rides.

Happy tyre choosing!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts