GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
FYI, Michelin calls the tire the Road 5, no "pilot" in this one for whatever reason.

I'm due for a new rear and will go with another PR4 over the R5. The 4 is a great tire and $45 cheaper, locally anyway. Seems the reviews brag mostly about the 5's superior handling in rain which I never ride in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You're not very optimistic are you. The Road 5 should last for 20,000 miles. People were getting that out of the PR4 and the R5 is supposed to have better longevity.
If you are getting 20,000 MILES out of a tire then you are not using the bikes potential and are most likely running the tire to the cords.

I personally have never seen over 5,000 MILES out of a rear tire, but I also replace at the wear bars.

I also agree wear you ride and the road surface plays a very big part in your mileage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can anyone compare the pr 5 to the old pr3 , I’ve not used Michelin’s since those were popular . Was using Dunlop sportsmart and roadsmart on my last bike which I really liked , so I was surprised the one Dunlop’s are not liked yet some .

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, the rear has finally reached its replacement time, but the front still has loads of life in it.
Can I just change the rear to 5's and get on with it, or should i change them both to match. I am a tight Scot, so first option suits the wallet, but Id rather be upright than sliding down the road.
Anyone out there done this? Normally I would put on another matching one till the front needs changed then do the swap, but these OM's are crap.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You'll be fine.
I replaced just the rear to a road 5 earlier this spring. I'm really impressed with it compared to the M7RR which was on there. The M7 is a really good tyre and riding like the Granny way I do, it gave me about 3.5k miles. I've done nearly that on the Road 5 rear and it still looks like new. I'm going to fit the matching front on Friday as I have a little trip to Scotland planned in a couple of weeks and the front M7 definitely wouldn't last the trip.
Personally I think the Road 5 is a better road tyre than the M7. To clarify that, I mean it works good in a wider range of circumstances. It warms up better in the cold, it's even more planted than the M7 in the wet, sticky enough on the edges to get your knee down and I'm getting better mileage out of it.
Just what a tight Scott needs:D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Can anyone comment on the comfort of the PR5 set ?
Not the road holding wet weather, but does the suspension suddenly feel more plush and a flying carpet sort of ride.
New tyres always feel better than the old, but after a while do they fade a bit more than you expected ?

The stock S21 on the 750 have so much feel as a racing biased tyre that they feed back all the road imperfections with great effect too.

As I have a few times mentioned before, PR4 GT's on the heavy Honda VFR1200F transformed the bike to 10 out of 10, from a 5, over the same garbage roads that the 750 now is traveling on.
I am trying to reason out if it was the heavier side wall of the GT version or the Pilot Road's themselves.

With now 1750 KM, the S21's are still like new unfortunately. The Council stone chip roads here are doing their best effort to linisher them away with every ride.

Rob.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Can anyone comment on the comfort of the PR5 set ?
Not the road holding wet weather, but does the suspension suddenly feel more plush and a flying carpet sort of ride.
New tyres always feel better than the old, but after a while do they fade a bit more than you expected ?

The stock S21 on the 750 have so much feel as a racing biased tyre that they feed back all the road imperfections with great effect too.

As I have a few times before, PR4 ST's on the heavy Honda VFR1200F transformed the bike to 10 out of 10, from a 5, over the same garbage roads that the 750 now is traveling on.
I am trying to reason out if it was the heavier side wall of the ST version or the Pilot Road's themselves.

With now 1750 KM, the S21's are still like new unfortunately. The Council stone chip roads here are doing their best effort to linisher them away with every ride.

Rob.
Just fitted pr5 rear and it's more comfortable than the stock tyre ever was. Still feel suspension is 80% of the equation and tyres doing the rest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is an update on my PR5 experience.

I have installed them to replace ****ty stock tires at 11000 km. Not that the stock tires were done (they probably had another 5000 km left in them) but I never liked the feedback and confidence they gave me. This is of course personal. Your mileage may vary. The PR5 were more comfortable, A lot more grippy and very confidence inspiring. I am now at 25000 km and they are mostly done.
Only one negative comment. The way the front tire wear is very unorthodox. It went away like a triangle. the center tread is ok, but the side are flatted out. For this reason, I will not repeat the experience and I have already bought my next set. I will be installing a set of Metzeller M7 RR at the beginning of this season and will report back.

My season will not start before March 16 (dammed winter tires law)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Which one did you get? 55s 50?
Hi LS,
I may be while till Bruno replies but you never know.
Do you need an explanation of the differences in feel between the two profile ratio's ?
55% will make the turn in at the rear faster, where 50 will have more rubber on the road when over on it's side.

So if you like smoking the rear out of a sharp turn, go for the stock 50 for safety against slides.
If you want the sharp turn in feeling like riding a racing bicycle, then the 55 will suit better, but watch the power of the snatchy throttle that we all love and hate.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I tried the 55 profile didn't like it. I like to feel that it is me making the bike lean at the rate I want, not the bike falling in on it's own. Also when at lean I felt that the front was pushing out and the rear did not have the same grip. Perhaps I'm just a crap rider. :)
Also tried one on my previous B-King with the same result, I should have learned from that!
Oh and also I had embarrassing chicken strips on the rear, something I don't get with the 50. Us old farts have got to keep our street cred up yer know. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi LS,
I may be while till Bruno replies but you never know.
Do you need an explanation of the differences in feel between the two profile ratio's ?
55% will make the turn in at the rear faster, where 50 will have more rubber on the road when over on it's side.

So if you like smoking the rear out of a sharp turn, go for the stock 50 for safety against slides.
If you want the sharp turn in feeling like riding a racing bicycle, then the 55 will suit better, but watch the power of the snatchy throttle that we all love and hate.

Rob.
oh i just wanted to know if it was R5/55 that he was talking about or a different combo because he seemed ecstatic about it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I've had my R5/50s on for about 3500 miles now. They handle much better than stock, are much stickier than stock, and still look like new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's the difference between the GT and the non GT? the gsx-s1000 should just be ok with the non GT right? (if i read it right the GT is for heavier bikes?)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts