GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)hi just to say nice to be in the club, I have read quite a few discussions and found them very good, I have a gsxs1000 red/black naked, been riding now for 50yrs and this is the 1st club that I have joined, had a whole lot of bikes in that time all makes and all cc"s right through the range of bikes I have found this bike is so easy to ride and a very quick one at that>:D had her six mths now and still love to take her out and plod along or let rip whatever mood I am in at the time just love to ride her great bike, am off to Europe (again):) in april with her done 2,000mls up to now, thanks to you all and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Welcome pilot1, I too ride a "naked" and have been in the saddle over 50 years.
I am guessing you might be in the UK ?
Good luck with your Europe trip, I will be heading for the Black Forest but not sure when yet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Perhaps we should rename it The Old Farts forum given our decades in the saddle! "Sons of Ibuprofen" maybe :D
Can't take ibuprofen. It thins the blood and I'm already on blood thinner so when I get an unbearable pain I have to resort to Tylenol. For all you spring chickens on the forum, don't laugh, its coming for you too.

Now I know I'm hi-jacking this thread but that's a privilege of being old. I just wanted to say that I followed a thread on another forum once-upon-a-time and the thread was entitled "How old were you when you quit riding and why?" Many respondents were in their 80's but the most common reason was that they became unable to handle the weight of the bike before getting it moving. Some said they just quit riding and some said they just down-sized.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why is everyone making fun of a guy who has been riding 50 years? Most of you will quit riding once you get married or have children and sit around on the couch eating pizza and getting fat, then succumb to a electric wheelchair by the time you're 62 and spend the rest of your days eating cake and watching TV. Go to any old age home and you'll see hundreds of people, who aren't really that old, sitting in chairs looking miserable. My friends, most of you will turn out that way.

You should be careful what older person you make fun of because most of you will not turn out to be the person you had hoped you would.

We should look up to, and admire, older people who have led their life the way they had wanted to lead it and wound up in the exact place they planned on being. We should admire them because they are smarter than us.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Why is everyone making fun of a guy who has been riding 50 years?
We should look up to, and admire, older people who have led their life the way they had wanted to lead it and wound up in the exact place they planned on being. We should admire them because they are smarter than us.
I think you've mis-read the situation. Most of us are pulling his leg because we're in exactly the same position! I'm 69 this year and have been riding for over 50 years too. When I started to notice age was getting in the way of motorcycling enjoyment, I looked at strategies to safely prolong my riding days. Started by selling my Blackbird as it was noticeably getting too top-heavy and a tad tall as I got older. Bought a Street Triple which re-kindled the enthusiasm. Most of us pick up bad habits during our riding and I arranged an assessment with the NZ branch of the UK Institute of Advanced Motorists - the same roadcraft system that a lot of police use internationally. Initially bad for the ego but the outcome has been outstanding in terms of raising my game over the last 5 years. It's arguably the best training system anywhere and like most worthwhile things, not easy to achieve.

I'm only mentioning this because there's plenty we can do as we get older rather than just giving up earlier than we need to. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Why is everyone making fun of a guy who has been riding 50 years? Most of you will quit riding once you get married or have children and sit around on the couch eating pizza and getting fat, then succumb to a electric wheelchair by the time you're 62 and spend the rest of your days eating cake and watching TV. Go to any old age home and you'll see hundreds of people, who aren't really that old, sitting in chairs looking miserable. My friends, most of you will turn out that way.

You should be careful what older person you make fun of because most of you will not turn out to be the person you had hoped you would.

You totally missed the point. I didn't read any post on this thread that I construed as being offensive to or "making fun of" older people. As Kiwi Geoff said, most of us are "older people". I believe the comments were all in good fun. I'm 70 years old and blessed with reasonably good health. I have been riding for 47 years and intend to ride as long as my physical condition allows. But I have changed my attitude about motorcycling in that I now work diligently to hone my skills. Instead of telling myself that I am a competent rider, I am now compelled to prove it to myself by mentally analyzing every thing I do on every ride.

P.S Your last sentence would have been more on target if you had said "they are more experienced than us". My office is full of young Architects and Professional Engineers that are much smarter than me. But on occasion, one of them may loose sight of the fact that experience is sometimes irreplaceable.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Bless you Thumper your heart is in the right place, however as has already been said no one has been made fun of or disrespected in this thread.
I am not that old that I cannot enjoy a good old p....ss take, that's what makes forums enjoyable.
Any of you can call me an old fart to my face ---- if you can catch me ?:)
Just for info' I am 74 and started riding in 1957, no plaudits or congratulations required or wanted, I am just another biker.0:)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bless you Thumper your heart is in the right place, however as has already been said no one has been made fun of or disrespected in this thread.
I am not that old that I cannot enjoy a good old p....ss take, that's what makes forums enjoyable.
Any of you can call me an old fart to my face ---- if you can catch me ?:)
Just for info' I am 74 and started riding in 1957, no plaudits or congratulations required or wanted, I am just another biker.0:)
74 and you can use a PC! Very nice! LOL

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah perhaps I was a little overly defensive. I just hear it a lot, that's all. I'm only 48 but am still called OLD MAN often, by fat kids who abuse their bodies and get by only on their youth.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah perhaps I was a little overly defensive. I just hear it a lot, that's all. I'm only 48 but am still called OLD MAN often, by fat kids who abuse their bodies and get by only on their youth.
No problem Thumper. I get your drift and your original post made good points that some young folks should pay attention to. One good thing I have discovered in getting old is that I don't worry about the little things anymore (unless it has to do with a motorcycle).

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Oh Crap!
I've purposely been staying away from BMWs all my biking life because I thought they were for old men and now I've gone and bought a GSX S1000F.
What's a guy to do? I'm only 50 FFS!
?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts