GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pit-Bull Hybrid Front Stand (both Headstock and Paddle Type) that I would love to use. The Hole in the GSX-S1000 is ~13mm and my present Pin for my Triumph is too big.
I have contacted Pit-Bull but in case they do not reply in a timely manner I am seeking out if anyone else has already spec'd the Pin Size yet.

Pit-Bull uses a numbering system for their pins (i.e. #xx , #xy , #xz and so forth) that do not denote actual sizes.

Thanks

If I hear back from Pit-Bull in the meantime, I will post up the data

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to this it should be a 13mm pin and according to this and this 13mm equates to the [URL=http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6]#6 [/URL] pin.
Pit-bull also responded to my email. They are not 100% sure because they have not actually fitted one up on a GSX-S1000 nor has anyone reported that they have, but, the recommended a #5 pin. The #5 is the same diameter as the #6 (within 0.006 inches or 0.15mm of each other) but the #6 has a 2.5 degree angle machine into it. Pit-bull feels the #5 would work best with the GSX-S. So, I ordered a #5 today and soon as I get it I will give it a try and report back.

I ordered my swing-arm spools already off of fleabay and they should be here the same time. I will need this of course so that the rear is properly supported & I can exercise a full lift with my front stand and demonstration/test how well the #5 pin works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pin #5 is a winner!!! The pin slides in perfectly. Not too tight to where possible binding may occur and not too loose. The straight angle of pin #5 seems perfect for the GSX-S Head Stock.

I love the fact that I now have excellent access to work on the bike!!!

IMG_7210 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7208 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7209 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Here is the rear stand for reference purposes. I have always been very impressed with Pit-Bulls quality and their customer service is fantastic as well. Sweet Home Alabama!!!

IMG_7211 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7212 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you do steering head bearings with that stand?
The manual says you can lift the front of the bike by placing a lift/jack beneath the header. I have yet to try that method. When/if I do I will use some heavy duty foam for protection and when the bike is in the air I plan on working as quickly and carefully as possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the clarification.
I will be ordering the #5 Pin soon, as I have the same stands that you do. :cool:
I sent the same info (and pics) that I posted above to Pit-Bull. They are interested in seeing how a #6 Pin--with the slight bend angle--will fit on the GSX-S. They are sending me a #6 Pin for free to try (and keep). I will try it as soon as I get it and share the results here.

I love helping out a great company like these guys. I wish they wanted me to test some stands for free!!!

Reactions: LuckyGS

·
Registered
222 Posts
I sent the same info (and pics) that I posted above to Pit-Bull. They are interested in seeing how a #6 Pin--with the slight bend angle--will fit on the GSX-S. They are sending me a #6 Pin for free to try (and keep). I will try it as soon as I get it and share the results here.

I love helping out a great company like these guys. I wish they wanted me to test some stands for free!!!

In that case, I'm in standby mode. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a piece of wood should be ok. Those OEM headers are pretty stout, and they bolt to the motor in so many places they are like built in engine stands.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In that case, I'm in standby mode. :cool:
I received the #6 Pin today and performed a fit-check.

Initially the #6 pin wants to slide in easier than the #5 . However, it binds up before reaching the shoulder. I tried it two different times and i made sure the stand and bike were square with each other.

IMO the #5 is still the best fit for the GSX-S1000.

Here are two pictures showing two different attempts to get the pin to seat correctly in the steering head hole.

IMG_7298 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7299 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
434 Posts
having a hard time removing the pin.

inserting the pin and raising the bike.. pretty easy... but after i drop the stand i cant remove the pin without wiggling it around so much that the front fender gets pushed on... I put a towel to not scratch it but there has to be an easier way?

what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Good info as my 11 GSXR1000 racebike pin will not work.

I will order a #5 pin when I order new TRS pins from them since the same TRS pins off my GSXR1000 won't work on the GSX.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shop repair manual states, "do not lift motorcycle by the exhaust".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts