GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by lost I decided to play around with the coloring of my white F just to see what it would look like with blue panels replacing the black panels (including the tail piece behind the seat). I sampled the blue on a blue bike but I'm not sure I have the correct shade. In any event here it is. I may try coloring the "beak" part of the fairing blue too but I'm not sure that will look so good.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea its winter here in NorthernVA. Sand all over the roads. I bought my bike yesterday but it's not even in my garage yet (I pick it up next weekend). You are right on lost, basically I was just thinking a white themed 2018 blue/black. Here it is with the beak colored. Not sure if I like it or not. Blue is closer in tone but I'm not 100% happy with color. FYI I'm not a graphic artist so I'm just trying things that make sense to me...

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yea its winter here in NorthernVA. Ice and sand all over the roads. I bought my bike yesterday but it's not even in my garage yet (I pick it up next weekend). You are right on lost, basically I was just thinking a white themed 2018 blue/black. Here it is with the beak colored. Not sure if I like it or not. Blue is closer in tone but I'm not 100% happy with color. FYI I'm not a graphic artist so I'm just trying things that make sense to me...

Peter
Looks good and would definitely be unique, although the way Suzuki reuses the color panels, just swapping colors from year to year, blue and white might appear in a future release.

I've always really liked the all white too.

·
Registered
694 Posts
How much are the f fairing parts for the 2nd photo?

I like the blue white in first photo, but didn’t wow me. But that last pic w beak,

That is sharp. I like it a lot and I really think that would be a nice color combo offered from factory. If those pieces cost less than a few hundred, I would do it.

I am not a f bike owner but the pic you did w blue white and blue beak, I would of bought that version.

Asked my gf, I showed her stock 18 white black f model, and showed her the blue white photoshop w blue beak. She also agreed, that’s beautiful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike,

After staring at it for a few minutes I'm of the opinion the blue beak doesn't work that well. Yea it's funny my all white is kinda growing on me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tank cover in blue is $133
Tail piece in blue $55
Beak in blue $114
Each side cowling in blue $150 (x2 = $300)

If you skip the beak you're just shy of $500 in parts to make it blue like in my first picture. If you went to the 2017 parts bin you could presumably do a red/white version for probably similar cost.

Obviously you could look at parts from earlier years and do other things.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you really want to try this on the cheap dude. 50 bucks, but 40 square feet of metallic blue or some pretty blue wrap there’s tons of colors from both 3m and avery, wrap the pieces you want. Have enough for 5 bikes fold.

Dislike it? Pull it off. Can go to any vinyl store and look @ their color chips/pamplet that im picturing below. There are tons more, brushed metal, gloss, satin, matte.

Edit, here are my before after w vinyl. I only used 1/4 of my roll and my roll was 40 bucks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm impressed Freedom, I've never tried vinyl wrapping but that looks awesome. I'll check your thread. I'm starting to wonder how a blue front fender will look. May try that next. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm impressed Freedom, I've never tried vinyl wrapping but that looks awesome. I'll check your thread. I'm starting to wonder how a blue front fender will look. May try that next. Thanks for the ideas.

Order a 20 dollar vinyl wrap kit set (little tool set of useful items) then buy a cheap heat gun, (I bought a higher end model for 60 bucks as I knew I would be using it on different things not just vinyl) but cheap 20-30 dollar one would be fine if you dont have one. Then I went to a local vinyl store, looked through paint colors, found the one I wanted, found it cheap on amazon and then ordered it. Didn't take long to get hang of it.

Since then I've wrapped countless crap, even my ps4, MacBook, etc out of boredom, and friends phones etc. Lol. stupid but its entertaining. Amazon had my color I wanted in a 5x8 sheet for like 45 bucks I think it was. I messed up a few pieces initially but redid them perfectly honestly it was learning experience, now ive wrapped tons of stuff. even my car. Just find the cheapest place that sells the color you want, whether its amazon, or a vinyl site. Amazon had 2 day free shipping which was a bonus.

edit about my thread, I ran out of space so I have to delete/re add photos. if you have any specific questions, bump my thread or send me a message.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Tank cover in blue is $133
Tail piece in blue $55
Beak in blue $114
Each side cowling in blue $150 (x2 = $300)

If you skip the beak you're just shy of $500 in parts to make it blue like in my first picture. If you went to the 2017 parts bin you could presumably do a red/white version for probably similar cost.

Obviously you could look at parts from earlier years and do other things.
Re Suzuki, the last time I asked, the Spare's Guy said that all Suzuki body parts come unpainted. Have times changed?
I know from personal experience that Honda paint their's.

Rob.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is my attempt painting the front fender blue. I think I know why getting the colors right is so difficult. On the white bike the side panels are flat black while the fender and fairing beak are glossy white. While I can drop the same color into each spot they render differently based on the glossiness of the underlying part (that's why the shadows and edges look somewhat appropriate). I'm not enough of an expert in PaintShop Pro to compensate for that. One question would be: is the fender blue on the 2016 the same as the side panel blue of the 2018. I don't know the answer to that. As an FYI I'm just doing this for fun and am in no hurry to change my new bike.

Peter

I think this looks kind of nice tho...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts