GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

For some time now I've been considering either the GSX-S or the Yamaha MT-10. I like both bikes but admit to be leaning towards the MT-10. The Suzuki, in my opinion, is the better looking, better constructed motorcycle and it's currently over £1000 less than the Yamaha. The PCP rate is also 4.9% versus 9% for the Yamaha - (I like the flexibility of PCP - even though I do have the cash to buy either).

My concerns with the Suzuki are the (potentially) jerky throttle response - that's about it. The MT-10's terrible fuel consumption (25-30mpg) is an issue for me as is the build quality and additional cost.

I would appreciate your help in choosing the right bike.

Jim

·
Registered
437 Posts
So the 2017 gsxs reports no jerky throttle and even on the old one it has proved an easy fix. The mt10 apparently has a worse throttle than the early gsxs.
I dont see any arguments in your statement above to not get the gsxs just make sure its a red and black naked as they are the best, the fastest and ridden by men :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 2017 gsxs reports no jerky throttle and even on the old one it has proved an easy fix. The mt10 apparently has a worse throttle than the early gsxs.
I dont see any arguments in your statement above to not get the gsxs just make sure its a red and black naked as they are the best, the fastest and ridden by men :)
Ha Ha OK, red and black it is then....actually thinking of the Z Phantom version, which is black with a bit of red, is that OK? :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
must say i did fancy the mt10 but glad i went for the zoook f for fast, my mate bought the mt 10 but thought it was made cheaper than the zook,he traded it in for a f and loves it, he reckons it handles better than the mt10 and is nearly as fast the mt just sounds faster , both nice bikes, and my throttle is fine the harder you ride the better lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
You've not seriously come to this forum asking if you should buy an MT10 have you?

As I've said many times before on here I didn't even waste my time riding the MT10, I just couldn't ride anything that ugly no matter how good it may have been. Choice made!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My concerns with the Suzuki are the (potentially) jerky throttle response - that's about it. The MT-10's terrible fuel consumption (25-30mpg) is an issue for me as is the build quality and additional cost.
Hi valid concerns. The jerky throttle can be cured. I have cured it to non existent.
first I tried the PCV with the supplied map and that helped a ton. Later for more power i did an overhaul with re-flashed eco, arrow headers, stock can, bmc air filter, and auto tune and now there is no snatch at all in any gear anywhere and the bike is very clearly more powerful everywhere.

The gsxs is a great base starting point and if you want to upgrade parts later youre not stripping off more expensive stock parts like the mt-10.

Albeit the mt-10 does have cruise control. But my god its ugly!

my video of the results with just the PCV:
https://youtu.be/Wn8V4uiU1Js

·
Registered
987 Posts
The MT-10 looks a lot like a Gixxus F with the fairings removed. :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
MT 10 at low speed is a handful and not just because of the throttle...like V2 and V4 engine layouts the big bang 4 is lumpy below 3,000 revs which makes slow or tight turns a roll and coast affair then power out whereas the inline 4 can drop to near idle and still pull smoothly away if a bit less characterful.
I had the Tuono V4 a year or so ago...fantastic bike for a fun days riding at silly speeds but not something to relax on and the Mt 10 i rode is similar...great for a blast but you don't feel like its a bike to do a 300+ mile trip at cruising speeds.
I've the F and its bit by bit with a few tweaks becoming a great all rounder and every bit as quick as you need and sub 3 figures isn't left by any bike doing overtake like acceleration....its fun, stupidly easy to ride and its a bike you can just enjoy and trust

IF YOU BUY THE GSXS DON'T LET THE FIRST FEW WEEKS OF OWNERSHIP PUT YOU OFF THE BIKE...ITS A VERY GOOD BIKE THAT JUST NEEDS TWEAKED....oh and if it ever needs parts or worked on its a **** site easier to fix at home than any of its rivals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great responses and thanks very much for taking time to answer. I am leaning more and more towards the Suzuki. Will bag another test ride soon (on the 2017) and see how I go.
Thanks again
Jim

·
Registered
379 Posts
There are not many GSX-S bikes in the US. It shouldn't matter, though, it's a phenominal motorcycle.

At least on the 2 US bikes I've owned, the throttle isn't enough of a problem to worry about. It's an annoyance at best. I'm getting mine tuned because I can, but I could honestly live without it. And a lot of my riding is on seriously fun (curvy) canyon roads, where I push the bike to the limits of my ability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently encountered the very same dilemma . . . ended up purchasing the GSX S1000FA about 2 weeks ago. I have no regrets, but second guessed myself about a dozen times so far. After much initial research, I conclude both bikes are awesome and there is no wrong choice. For somewhat of a comparison sake, I have the 02 FZ1 (gen 1) and still love it. I bought the GSX for its motor and because I know what it truly is and what it is capable of with a few minor mods. Love Suzuki's, Yamaha's and just about anything on 2 wheels, including my Fatboy; however, at the end of the day HP wins!

BTW, I think the FZ10 isn't ugly at all, just uniqu-ish. The GSX is the one that needs some cosmetic help IMHO. Maybe some OEM decals I saw in the forum links will help, but they are expensive.

Looking into ECU remap/flash after my M4 full exhaust pipes arrive; need to get some more advice on the hardware needed before I commit to the flash. Any advice on what hardware more I may need to increase HP is certainly welcome! : )

·
Registered
379 Posts
Haha :)

I didn't love the looks of the S1000F at first, but it definitely grew on me. I was looking at the FZ10, and my thought was that the full fairings (aftermarket) were a requirement if I were to get it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I had a great test ride on a 2017 GSX-S, no noticeable difference in power from the 2016 model and the throttle was fine on both models - coming from a Triumph Explorer with a fly by wire throttle I am used to a sensitive throttle. Not sure whether to sign up for a new model or wait a little while and see if a good used 2016 comes up for sale. Bikes are pretty expensive these days, especially in the UK. I don't feel that now is a good time to buy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Buy it and live a little ;)
Absolutely right but I like to get the best deal. I know for a fact that motorcycle sales are at their lowest they've ever been in the UK at the moment and I'm certain that better deals are on the horizon in a month or two. Besides, it's pissing down with rain at the moment!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts