GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all,

I've been lurking here for a bit, and decided to make an intro post, even though I don't yet own a GSX-S1000.

I loved the specs and reviews from the start (other than the ubiquitious snatchy throttle stories), though it took me a while to get over the aesthetics (I really don't like those z-looking side fairings, or the "fang" looking headlight surrounds).

Judging by the TPS thread, it looks like there's hope for the throttle issues, though I do see that some in the 'constant throttle' thread are still complaining about surges ... so I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. And I've worked with fiberglass before, and think that if I did decide that I can't live with the killer robot look I could probably design replacements with less z-fang in them, lol. Probably even could make the jump into carbon fiber fabrication, which is something I've been thinking of anyway ... hmmm ...

So, I'm pondering. I have a thing about weight, so I love the fact that this is a naked superbike that is lighter than just about anything in its class. And if I switch to an Arrow full exhaust and lithium ion battery, I could easily drop another 15-20 pounds. And I love the features, the price point, the power, the handling reports, and the ergonomics (I haven't ridden one, but sat on one at a dealer).

I also love and am considering two other very different bikes that I really like, the Yamaha XSR900 and the Triumph Street Triple R. Either of these or the Suzuki will provide a nice modern change of pace from my old '88 Sportster cafe racer project bike, and in addition to modern performance will give me modern traction control and ABS for the wet Seattle weather I'm about to return to. Lol, decisions, decisions!

Anyway, sorry for a very long and rambly intro post, lol. Thanks to everyone for all the very cool and helpful information you've all shared! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Lia, I had the same thought about the shoulders. I came from Cafe Racer Projects and Suzuki Street Fighter projects with the exposed ram air duct look. The shoulders kinda grew on me. But maybe on day consider making something like speed/street triple shrouds.

The fact of the matter is, the moment anyone decides to install a full exhaust will eventually install a piggyback or remap. So that will instantly cure the throttle issue.

Test rode the XSR900. Quick for a cafe racer look. Have you test ridden the new Thruxton R????? That would be a killer bike.

Hello, all,

I've been lurking here for a bit, and decided to make an intro post, even though I don't yet own a GSX-S1000.

I loved the specs and reviews from the start (other than the ubiquitious snatchy throttle stories), though it took me a while to get over the aesthetics (I really don't like those z-looking side fairings, or the "fang" looking headlight surrounds).

Judging by the TPS thread, it looks like there's hope for the throttle issues, though I do see that some in the 'constant throttle' thread are still complaining about surges ... so I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. And I've worked with fiberglass before, and think that if I did decide that I can't live with the killer robot look I could probably design replacements with less z-fang in them, lol. Probably even could make the jump into carbon fiber fabrication, which is something I've been thinking of anyway ... hmmm ...

So, I'm pondering. I have a thing about weight, so I love the fact that this is a naked superbike that is lighter than just about anything in its class. And if I switch to an Arrow full exhaust and lithium ion battery, I could easily drop another 15-20 pounds. And I love the features, the price point, the power, the handling reports, and the ergonomics (I haven't ridden one, but sat on one at a dealer).

I also love and am considering two other very different bikes that I really like, the Yamaha XSR900 and the Triumph Street Triple R. Either of these or the Suzuki will provide a nice modern change of pace from my old '88 Sportster cafe racer project bike, and in addition to modern performance will give me modern traction control and ABS for the wet Seattle weather I'm about to return to. Lol, decisions, decisions!

Anyway, sorry for a very long and rambly intro post, lol. Thanks to everyone for all the very cool and helpful information you've all shared! :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Welcome lia. All good choices so go with the one that stirs your soul the most. There's no such thing as a perfect bike so either way you'll find something to customize. It seems we all did.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome Lia. I live in Skagit county just 1.5 hours north of Seattle so far I have not move traction control on my F model past TC1 even in the wet. Its a nice insurance though, as for the snatchy throttle once TPS is adjusted its pretty much fix. constant throttle is actually part of the snatchy thing. All the bike you mentioned are all good they all have pros and cons. I highly recommend test riding the bikes that your looking at and compare them your the only better person to judge which bike is for you. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! 16suzy1k, thanks for the local knowledge. :) Last time I rode a bike in Seattle was in the late 90's on a '78 Yamaha XS650 that I still kick myself for ever letting go of. What a sweet bike. I did lock up the brakes a few times in the rain, so ABS is very attractive to me.

I am going to test ride all three bikes. One dealer 3 miles from my house has the Suzuki and the Yamaha. Plus I really like the sales guy I spoke with at that dealer. No pressure, encouraged me to ride other bikes he didn't have and if I chose something he didn't sell to drop by and show him what I bought, etc. Just really wants people happily on the roads, even if they don't buy from him (though naturally he'd love it if I bought one of his, lol). Have to go a bit farther for the Triumph, but I'll be near the dealer this weekend.

The styling is growing on me ... it's just such a radical difference from anything I've ever owned, which have been older Japanese standards and the Sportster. But my Sportster is in a nice cafe style, and I want something much different, so maybe I should just embrace the dark side, lol.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
328 Posts
What an awesome selection of bikes to be choosing from! As has already been mentioned, go with what stirs your soul.

Interested to see pics of your Cafe Racer and also hear more about your fibreglass projects, if you don't mind sharing. I've done some carbon fibre projects for my Hayabusa and interested in getting into some for the GSXS. Like yourself, I'm after weight savings (got a Yoshi full system installed and EarthX LiFePO4 battery on the way) so looking at laying up a one-piece carbon 'monocoque' subframe and tail and also *gulp!* making a carbon tank. That's where I figure most of the weight savings are. However, that is also where the most work is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What an awesome selection of bikes to be choosing from! As has already been mentioned, go with what stirs your soul.

Interested to see pics of your Cafe Racer and also hear more about your fibreglass projects, if you don't mind sharing. I've done some carbon fibre projects for my Hayabusa and interested in getting into some for the GSXS. Like yourself, I'm after weight savings (got a Yoshi full system installed and EarthX LiFePO4 battery on the way) so looking at laying up a one-piece carbon 'monocoque' subframe and tail and also *gulp!* making a carbon tank. That's where I figure most of the weight savings are. However, that is also where the most work is.
Hi there, thanks! I've just done a bit of fiberglass work. Started with laminating fiberglass to marine plywood in building sea kayaks, then have done some vacuum bag molding of really simple parts such as kayak paddle blades. Sounds like yo've delved much further into this than I have!

A carbon fiber tank, oooooh, that sounds pretty and so lightweight ... and yes, work-intensive.

I'll post some Sportster cafe pics in a few days when I get the next round of mods done. It will look much better then. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds like your composites work is coming along nicely with the different styles of production you've already played with! The transition to carbon isn't such a big step at all, especially in the lay-up. The fundamentals are the same. I have been lucky, as I work in the IT department of an engineering company here in New Zealand. I am mentored in my composites by an engineer that also builds boats. He likes to chuck me in the deep end and drag me back to the surface.

The tank will be the crowning glory! I'd really like to not have to use my own fuel tank, as I'd like to keep riding and don't want to risk any damage to it whilst making the molds. At US$650 for a new one (not including shipping) I may have to just suck it up and use my own tank, maybe wrap it in 3M protective film before I start attacking it.

Thank you! It's always nice to see other peoples creations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Lia, I had the same thought about the shoulders. I came from Cafe Racer Projects and Suzuki Street Fighter projects with the exposed ram air duct look. The shoulders kinda grew on me. But maybe on day consider making something like speed/street triple shrouds.

The fact of the matter is, the moment anyone decides to install a full exhaust will eventually install a piggyback or remap. So that will instantly cure the throttle issue.

Test rode the XSR900. Quick for a cafe racer look. Have you test ridden the new Thruxton R????? That would be a killer bike.
Hi there - Thanks for the comments! No, I haven't ridden the Thruxton R. It does look wonderful, but I'm really wanting something a little further away from my cafe racer in style for a second bike. The XSR900 is a little more modernish, so makes the cut ... so far ... ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My story behind getting a GSX S1000F is I watched hours and hours of reviews for various bikes, test rode a Kawasaki Z1000SX and Triumph Sprint GT and decided I'd get the Kwak as it ticked all the boxes.

Someone asked me if I'd ridden the Suzuki, but I hadn't even looked at it. I took a look, decided it wasn't for me but thought I'd test ride it anyway just to confirm my choice for the Z1000SX. After 5 minutes I knew I wasn't going to buy the Kawasaki. :)

I still watched hours of reviews of the GSXS after riding it, took the F for a test ride (rode the naked first time round) as I knew I wanted fairing and a week later I bought one.

It does barely anything I thought I wanted in a bike (sensible pillion/hard luggage options, etc.) but honestly I just wanted something to spank at the weekends and, after riding it, I knew I'd always regret not buying it if I didn't go for it.

I might wish I had hard luggage and an adjustable screen when I take it touring, but I'll manage, and for the other 95% of the time I'm riding it, it's perfect.

So yeah, just ride them and let your mind make itself up. And then let us know you decided to get a GSXS. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Lia,
Suzuki, Ducati, MV, Aprilia, Truimph etc etc all have one issue or another. As someone said, no bike is perfect.

After testing the bikes you like, perhaps imagine walking into your garage each day and think about what feeling you'll get every time you look at your bike. Go back and look at the bikes in the showroom and you'll know straight away which one you like the most.

When I saw the black/red Suzuki, I knew it was for me and this is after having two MVs. This bike is just superb. I'm lucky touch wood as my bike has been set up correctly with the TPS from the get go and haven't had any issue with surging, throttle snatchiness etc. There are now solutions to the problem on the bikes that are suffering, but it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you'll get the problem or not. In Australia there are few bikes for sale second hand, which to me means that owners are enjoying them. At least the throttle issue is not unsolvable; my MV Dragster, like all Brutales, had sprag clutch issues and even with a redesigned sprag the issue continued. Unsolvable - hence the purchase of my Suzuki.

You'll note on this forum that by and large, the throttle issue is the ONLY major issue for this bike and not every bike is affected. Go onto the MV forum and it's loaded with every problem under the sun. Perhaps check out the Yamaha and Triumph forums for the bikes you are considering to see if these bikes have issues for their owners and if those issues are big for you (not being able to start my MV due to the sprag was a huge issue for me). Research pays off.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hello, all,

If you or anyone else reading this are hesitant to get the GSXS for its snatchy throttle and/or its surging power in the lower revs then find out where you could get an ECU reflash and dyno done and for what price from some one experienced nearby and weigh that up with the price for the other bikes price your looking at as this will solve your problems, i do not have my ECU reflash only due to no-one being within 4000km of me that i could find to do it but every post that i have read where it has been done has solved every problem and please anyone reading this that disagrees please reply and correct me.

Then if you were to purchase the bike only to find it not that bad like a lot of people and not needing a reflash then you have some more spondoola for more bling :)

My bike runs at 95% perfection with just the throttle tamer and i just purchased a PCV to try and get it to 100% more so as a project to tinker with and if it improves further then i'll just treat it as a bonus.

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the very thoughtful (and thought provoking) replies. Local dealer has blue and black/red ABS in stock, plus a grey non-abs. One wrench in the gears is that another dealer has a used BMW S1000R with about 3k miles at about the same price as the GSX-S1000 ABS models. That same dealer has the Street Triple R, so I need to visit ...

But the GSX-S1000 sure is sweet, and looking better to me each day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like the Suzuki is on the cards. Maybe ask the dealer what he plans to do to help you if you happen to have throttle/TPS issues and that way you have piece of mind. Get him to check the TPS position relative to the white lines and the -COO position on the dash (have a look at the link entitled "primary PTs could be the key to snatch" in the right hand column of this forum page) when he does the pre-delivery set up. My dealer didn't have a demo bike and was happy for me to ride my new bike before I bought it - if I'd said no to buying it he would have just turned it into the demo bike. Decent dealer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As part of your due diligence have a read of the issues owners encounter with the S1000R and street triple. I have no info on the Triumph but the BMW seems to suffer from a range of problems early on if the forums are to be believed. Still a cracking bike all the same. This is a review a mate of mine did for New Atlas (formerly Gizmag) S1000R Review

Here's his GSX-S1000 Review for comparison.

I have to say, if my dealer had a dyno that would have been my bike's first visit after handing me the keys.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks Jaked! I've seen the Gizmodo reviews of both bikes. So you know that guy? He's awesome - I love watching his videos!
No problem, happy to help. The bloke's name is Loz, excellent guy. He's been a mate of mine for years and I trust his view on bikes. He's critical without being harsh and is a proper biker, he really loves all things bike related. He's currently riding a new Speed Triple for an upcoming review if you're interested, keep an eye out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts