GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've been riding a 2012 "heavily modded" honda cb1000r the past few years, at the track and for day rides in the canyons, etc. was time for an upgrade, so...

i test rode the 2016 suzuki gsx-s1000 abs yesterday, and loved it. there are not a whole lot of after market parts as yet (suspension and brakes in particular), but with the brake recall i was a bit concerned about the bike i demo'd (which would be the one i would purchase) and the bite on the brakes. it does not fall under th VIN numbers released for the recall. but it really was the only issue i had with the bike; even the choppy throttle was no big deal; but those brakes....

so i'm wondering if any of you can elaborate on how the brakes are working for you. in particular, i found you really needed to get on them to slow the bike. the brake curve felt linear but needed a very firm grab; to the point i felt like i was just not slowing as fast as i would have wanted. i do a ton of trail braking at teh track and in the tight stuff so how a brake feels matters a lot to me. maybe with a master cylinder and better pads/brake lines it would not be an issue and if so i'd buy the bike tomorrow. anyway, any input here from existing owners would be great!

the bike in general is really fantastic especially considering the price. i test rode the 'duke, s1000r, and tuono factory and to be honest, the suzuki just checks all the boxes as a fast "all arounder."

thanks in advance, look forward to the responses so i can buy this bike!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi,

As a recent owner having covered a little over 2000 km, you might be interested in my review: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: The Suzuki GSX-S 1000A - after 2000 km . Because it's a personal review, other riders will have different experiences.

With respect to the brakes, they were quite poor on the delivery trip home but as you have mentioned, they settled in but require a firm pull. They're ok though, although not as startling as I thought they'd be. I may experiment with EBC HH copper sinter pads in due course as I found they gave more "bite" to both my Blackbird and Street Triple.

I'm really enjoying ownership and have nothing negative to say about it.

Hope everything falls into place for you!

Cheers,

Geoff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Geoff, I ride a 2008 street triple and am very keen on the GSXS. I find your review incredibly interesting and useful. I test rode the naked version and also found that they are very similar. I think the Suzuki carries its weight even lower than the Triumph. At very low speeds, around 5kmph it is very stable and easy to keep in a straight line. Maybe the wider rear tyre helps.

Have you had a chance to play with your suspension settings to your liking? The only reason I would switch is that I'm looking for something with a bit more stable front end that gives me more confidence in sweeping corners. I have Ohlins rear on the street triple and revalved the forks to get a bit more feel. The change to Ohlins was a revelation. The rear is very supple and controlled. I would trade off a bit of the "nimbleness" for a bit more stability at the front. I would be interested in F model for that reason.

Would you say the Suzuki is slightly more stable in corners compared to the street triple given its longer wheelbase?

Just like you I see myself as a triumph man and I'm tossing between waiting for the 800 triple or go for the Suzuki now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi - you have excellent taste!

In short, I'm waiting for everything to settle down and free up before I measure sag and start playing with the suspension. Based on my experience with my Street Triple and upgrading suspension, the GSX-S is going to need the front and rear softening a little for the type of roads I ride on. Incidentally, you can see my Street Triple review here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Triumph Street Triple review revisited..... At present, the Suzuki isn't more stable on bumpy roads than the Street Triple as it's a bit harsh and I'd got the Triple spot on.

I sold the Triple as the km's were getting up a bit, although it was running perfectly. Love the Suzuki but for the type of riding I do, it doesn't offer a huge advantage over the Triple. That's not to say that I don't love the grunt, traction control etc but for most things, the Triple did the job extraordinarily well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi - brakes yes they benefit from a pad change if you prefer more immediate bite. It's a common point of discussion on GSXRs that run the same calipers. I went for the EBC pads (HH) and they made a good improvement, I've read that Vesrahs are also great replacements. It's relatively cheap to change so I recommend it - simple job too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Based on my experience with my Street Triple and upgrading suspension, the GSX-S is going to need the front and rear softening a little for the type of roads I ride on. ------------------... At present, the Suzuki isn't more stable on bumpy roads than the Street Triple as it's a bit harsh and I'd got the Triple spot on.
Hi Geoff
I was quite surprised by hardness - especially front as I am also a light rider.
When you do adjust - I found adding Rebound made biggest improvement.
I am now at 5 clicks out on front and 3/4 of a turn out on rear shock on my 1000f.
I also softened front compression a couple of clicks from standard , but rebound made most improvement.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Geoff
I was quite surprised by hardness - especially front as I am also a light rider.
When you do adjust - I found adding Rebound made biggest improvement.
I am now at 5 clicks out on front and 3/4 of a turn out on rear shock on my 1000f.
I also softened front compression a couple of clicks from standard , but rebound made most improvement.
Hi Redbeard and thanks for that - duly noted and stored for experimentation. My wife doesn't know it yet but she's buying me an ABBA Superbike stand for Christmas >:D . When I've got that, I can measure the extension front and back with wheels off the ground, then the static and loaded sag on the standard setting. I can then start to experiment using your settings. I'm 75kg in my socks :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hi Redbeard and thanks for that - duly noted and stored for experimentation. My wife doesn't know it yet but she's buying me an ABBA Superbike stand for Christmas >:D . When I've got that, I can measure the extension front and back with wheels off the ground, then the static and loaded sag on the standard setting. I can then start to experiment using your settings. I'm 75kg in my socks :D
Hi Geoff... Bit off topic but go for the Abba Skylift brilliant versatile bit of kit IMHO...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts