GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, Suzuki and many dealers across the US are blowing these bikes out the door now and it's getting harder and harder for me to NOT buy one. I think they are gorgeous machines combined with Suzuki's typically bulletproof and proven engine there. I've got some really ridiculous old white man questions to ask about it before I put the coin down - supposed to speak with a dealer about one later today even so any input you as owners can provide me on my questions is much appreciated.

I've owned and driven a lot of bikes in the last 12 years. It's a problem, okay :D but my most recent bike is a KTM 950 Supermoto and it is probably my favoite of all time. This being said, as much hootenanny fun as it is, it takes a great amount of additions and adjustments to tour with it. Even after a custom made seat and other accutrements it is still not the kind of machine you generally hop on in 30 minutes and head for the next state (though I have on many occasions). I have to swap windshields, seats, etc. I'm whining here as it's a miraculous bike in many regards and I've stuffed those last 10k miles into 9 months so I must be enjoying it and what it can do when you reach the twisties is ridiculous. Even said, what I would hope the Zook would give me is just a little better wind protection, more modern engine (with FI, the 950 is carbed) with some mode adjustability, and something I wouldn't have to literally climb aboard each day.

Even said, here are my questions:
1) Seating position very neutral but when I sat on the Suzuki in the showroom I noticed my slight lean to the bars and immediately got concerned about the slipped discs in my lower back. I assume there are risers for the bike that could give up to an inch or so in pullback and/or lift? I've also got a 32" inseam so have any of you made modifications as per the pegs?

2) This is petty but one thing that irks me about my wonderful 950 is it gets about 26-30mpg in general. Touring I can manage 34-36 tops. I twist the throttle and generally forget it but it does get on my nerves with all the gas stops and the idea that my wife's car gets about the same :). Does the Suzuki generally return at least 35-40mpg (US)?

3) I've had a lot of bikes - my 950 included here - that were just plain hot machines. Get stuck in traffic and they were/are a sweaty chore. In general have you found the Suzuki to be about the same, worse, better than other bikes as per heat?

Any answers much valued and appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

1) Seating position
Coming from a naked Street Triple, I found the seating position on the GSXS one of the best aspects - very upright compared to the competition, incredibly similar (almost identical, I would say) to the Triple. Which was just what I was after - very upright, easy on the wrists and back. Compared to, say, other "sports tourers".... I tried a BMW R1200RS for example, and was surprised to find it less comfortable - more sporty in seating position - even though it was nowhere near a sportier bike!

Does the Suzuki generally return at least 35-40mpg (US)?
My bike is new, not sure I can comment fully on this, but given my 17 litre tank gets me 160 miles easily - probably more like 180 I would hope, when run in/etc... I believe that's 4.5 US gallons, so I would say yes, just about. Others with more miles on the machine can probably qualify better....

I've never had a hot bike, to be honest - having had faired and naked bikes - but certainly no aspect of this bike seems hot to me, no.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey folks, Suzuki and many dealers across the US are blowing these bikes out the door now and it's getting harder and harder for me to NOT buy one. I think they are gorgeous machines combined with Suzuki's typically bulletproof and proven engine there. I've got some really ridiculous old white man questions to ask about it before I put the coin down - supposed to speak with a dealer about one later today even so any input you as owners can provide me on my questions is much appreciated.

I've owned and driven a lot of bikes in the last 12 years. It's a problem, okay :D but my most recent bike is a KTM 950 Supermoto and it is probably my favoite of all time. This being said, as much hootenanny fun as it is, it takes a great amount of additions and adjustments to tour with it. Even after a custom made seat and other accutrements it is still not the kind of machine you generally hop on in 30 minutes and head for the next state (though I have on many occasions). I have to swap windshields, seats, etc. I'm whining here as it's a miraculous bike in many regards and I've stuffed those last 10k miles into 9 months so I must be enjoying it and what it can do when you reach the twisties is ridiculous. Even said, what I would hope the Zook would give me is just a little better wind protection, more modern engine (with FI, the 950 is carbed) with some mode adjustability, and something I wouldn't have to literally climb aboard each day.

Even said, here are my questions:
1) Seating position very neutral but when I sat on the Suzuki in the showroom I noticed my slight lean to the bars and immediately got concerned about the slipped discs in my lower back. I assume there are risers for the bike that could give up to an inch or so in pullback and/or lift? I've also got a 32" inseam so have any of you made modifications as per the pegs?

2) This is petty but one thing that irks me about my wonderful 950 is it gets about 26-30mpg in general. Touring I can manage 34-36 tops. I twist the throttle and generally forget it but it does get on my nerves with all the gas stops and the idea that my wife's car gets about the same :). Does the Suzuki generally return at least 35-40mpg (US)?

3) I've had a lot of bikes - my 950 included here - that were just plain hot machines. Get stuck in traffic and they were/are a sweaty chore. In general have you found the Suzuki to be about the same, worse, better than other bikes as per heat?

Any answers much valued and appreciated.

1) Seating position very neutral but when I sat on the Suzuki in the showroom I noticed my slight lean to the bars and immediately got concerned about the slipped discs in my lower back. I assume there are risers for the bike that could give up to an inch or so in pullback and/or lift? I've also got a 32" inseam so have any of you made modifications as per the pegs? I adjusted the handle bars some, put Buell footpegs ($40) on which lowers them about an inch, and bought a Saddlemen seat ($200). The seat is quite a bit firmer, so it helped take the weight off of my tailbone, and had the effect of giving me a little more leg room since I don't sink into the seat as much. I also have a 32" inseam, so you could expect the same if result with those mods. I had considered bar risers, but I like my setup so much now that I will probably not do that anytime soon

2) This is petty but one thing that irks me about my wonderful 950 is it gets about 26-30mpg in general. Touring I can manage 34-36 tops. I twist the throttle and generally forget it but it does get on my nerves with all the gas stops and the idea that my wife's car gets about the same :). Does the Suzuki generally return at least 35-40mpg (US)?I get around 37-40mpg on the highway, and around 50mpg when cruising around on secondary roads at 45-60mph. Also, I did go up 1 tooth on the front sprocket....calms the bike down quite a bit on the interstate and MAYBE adds a 1-2 mpg if I am behaving... lol

3) I've had a lot of bikes - my 950 included here - that were just plain hot machines. Get stuck in traffic and they were/are a sweaty chore. In general have you found the Suzuki to be about the same, worse, better than other bikes as per heat? It's a bike, and ya it can get hot, but I think its not too bad and its certainly better than my FZ1 was. I live near the NC/SC state line, and temperatures are in the mid 90's quite often with hi humidity.I loved my FZ1, but it was a leg cooker and miserable to ride on hot days....the GSX is much better in that aspect so far.

Reactions: Bpreynolds

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just for OP, on my way back home from the office tonight I filled up - put 15 litres into the 17 litre tank. For that, I'd done 172 miles on the trip. Running-in miles, so pretty easy time of it, no significant time spent past 6000rpm.

So that's 52mpg right there.

Given the way this thing pulls, who needs more revs anyway ;) <joke, people!>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, Brum and Denver. Interesting about the ST ergos; I too had a wonderful ST in the past. The only thing that really kept it from being a longer weekend bike was a good screen and a better saddle than stock. Super wonderful little machine. Sadly, I never truly bonded with the thing in the 5-6k miles I owned it, or at least bonded with it in the same way I did with my former Guzzis and this KTM. Great motorcycle though and the ergos didn't seem to bother me too greatly. Maybe would have appreciated just a half inch or more greater legroom but that was about it.

And Denver, good to hear about your mods and same inseam as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
A couple of your comments would raise a red flag for me regarding this bike. It's not really a touring bike and not really built for luggage. Even on the faired version, you're still going to get a lot of wind, especially from the shoulders up, although there are aftermarket screen options that work to varying degrees. It's a great bike for what it is, but may not be the best for what you want. Have you looked at something like a Versys 1000 or Super Tenere? V-strom 1000, 2014 up, is a great bike if you like V-twins, although it would be pretty tall for 32" inseam. I average 45 mpg with spirited riding, but this drops on the slab. These would also have more upright seating. Just my opinions, I'm sure some would disagree...

If you're not familiar with this site - Motorcycle Ergonomics - it's excellent for comparing the ergonomics of many different bikes and lets you change parameters like handlebar rise and pullback, seat height, rider details, etc.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hi BP R,
I love my Naked, it's a keeper; I find the wind experience is as good as all the other Naked's out there. No issue for me.

What I do notice is that I would not like to go touring on it, because the motor has a vibey feel brought about by the air induction and fuelling.
What thrills when you are up it for the rent, would tire me after a few hours. My rides are 2 hours at a time for a sporty 60 -70 km duration.

The fuelling system is port throttle body but it feels like fuel injection type where the fuel is machine gunned into the cylinders.

The motor does not purr, nor feel like a sewing machine.
It's like modern car motor, when you lift the bonnet you hear ticking and clicking sounds as the injectors inject.
With the GSXS I feel the firing pulses as vibrations in the foot pegs and handle bar and if you are sensitive to this, you should have a test ride rather than buying blind even if the bike is a used example.
The Super Moto would be similar I suspect.

Good Luck and hope your soon a fellow GSXS Guy,

Rob.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
my motor feels smooth as silk...less buzz then any bike i ever owned..dont feel any come to think of it...but im sure some buzz is there if i look for it.....on off throttle seems to get better more miles i ride its not an issue...2016....more i read about about snatchy throttle i find lots of different makes have this issue...i dont ride in traffic ....and if someone uses there gsxs to commute to work in traffic they should buy a different bike..its not built for that its not fun and a waist of a good bike...nice dr650 would be the way to go,one of the best bikes ever built

·
Registered
538 Posts
my motor feels smooth as silk...less buzz then any bike i ever owned..dont feel any come to think of it...but im sure some buzz is there if i look for it.....on off throttle seems to get better more miles i ride its not an issue...2016....more i read about about snatchy throttle i find lots of different makes have this issue...i dont ride in traffic ....and if someone uses there gsxs to commute to work in traffic they should buy a different bike..its not built for that its not fun and a waist of a good bike...nice dr650 would be the way to go,one of the best bikes ever built
I think I will be saying this in 15 years time when I eventually sell it.... these bikes are great when there great but crap when there crap, I've riden 3 extact same bikes aledgley all from 2016 (feb, march and may build dates) and everyone was completely different and I mean wildly different, yes all seats, bars gears etc are the same but not the way the engine works.
1 utter absolmol, I thought it was ****** it was that bad, I rode a ninja 250 with 117k that felt better
2 smoothest injected bike I have ever rode (honestly pure silk), i bought based on this test ride, I wish I bought that exact bike.
3 my bike, it's somewhere in the middle, it's was a bit meh... when I bought it but after tps adjustment it's reasonable, still nowhere near my cbr600f 2001 carb but a whole world better than no1 bike. I'm sure given time, knowledge and experience I will get it smooth but not out of the box as a gaurentee.
I'm sure some of you have one of the best bikes ever made but please be patient with the guys who have no1 bikes, the only thing I can say is shame on Suzuki for this discrepancy.

I will say this, the cbr600rr (06-16) and gsxs1000 (no2 bike) are the best bikes I've ever owned/riden for me personally.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Further to the above, on my last fill I brimmed it with 15 litres and reset the trip - and I've currently got 178 miles shown on the trip, with 20 miles allegedly left in the tank.

So it seems 200 miles on a tank is entirely doable (if you trust the trip as accurate, of course). I'm a bit surprised by that, but I'm only telling you exactly what I've seen :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why can't you use just a single period instead of ...? What the **** does ... mean? I use my gsx-s1000 for driving on the street in all capacities, including commuting. I use my 2016 ZX10r for the track. I have had a lot of bikes 30+ including a 2012 drz650. Right now in my life the perfect combination of bikes are a new era superbike (6 axis imu and over 200hp for the track and a naked upright 1000cc for the street. This has evolved and changes as my life changes.

The gsxs was the only bike in it's price category that included traction control and abs. It also makes the most power. Plus I can ride faster than my friends on their 1000cc super bikes on the fun section of street turns because they never go to the track. Now if I wanted to spend more money for a street bike, I would have gotten a s1000r or Tuono Factory. But those are overkill for the street and I'll put that money saved into track time and slicks for the zx10.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Further to the above, on my last fill I brimmed it with 15 litres and reset the trip - and I've currently got 178 miles shown on the trip, with 20 miles allegedly left in the tank.

So it seems 200 miles on a tank is entirely doable (if you trust the trip as accurate, of course). I'm a bit surprised by that, but I'm only telling you exactly what I've seen
My bike is barely 3 wks old and it's half way through it's 3rd tank ful at 430 miles...claiming 77 left... so that's about a 170 mile average... well happy given it's not even run in which from past experience yields another 10 or so miles of my riding.
Reserve comes on so far somewhere around the 140mile Mark of mixed riding which is 40 better than the Tuono V4 I had and is 10 or so better than the K7 Gsxr 1k I had.
I'm over the moon so far with the GSXSF ...does exactly what I needed.... makes riding fun again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, you all rock. Thanks so much for the honest responses here. I think I've probably, for the time being, and based upon my touring wants and other small things, decided to hold off on the F. I still love the look of the bike and think it would be a total and complete hootnanny, a stellar motorcycle in fact, but I can't get two bikes in the garage now and that means whatever I have must serve double, or triple duty even for touring and everything else. Right now I think the KTM 950 will probably stay around for a while longer at least.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fair does! Simple answer, of course, if you're genuinely interested in one is to just go and test ride one. On the technical queries like economy, we can give you the details - on how it feels for you, the riding position, etc. that's something that only a test ride will firmly answer. Then again, it might end up with you putting some dollars down, so maybe it's best avoided ;) ;) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts