GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I'm considering a 2016 at my local dealership they have a pretty good discount.
I currently own a 2016 R1, 08 FZ1 & 14 Concours I will be trading my FZ1 and R1 for the GSX-S1000

I'm really concerned about the twitchy throttle. I had a 2015 FJ-09 that I threw money at and still never fixed it.
I have been stalking your forums looking for all the info I can in order to make a good decision.
I have no problem sending the ECU to have it flashed. Really I'm looking for some sort of reassurance that it indeed can be fixed..

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm considering a 2016 at my local dealership they have a pretty good discount.
I currently own a 2016 R1, 08 FZ1 & 14 Concours I will be trading my FZ1 and R1 for the GSX-S1000

I'm really concerned about the twitchy throttle. I had a 2015 FJ-09 that I threw money at and still never fixed it.
I have been stalking your forums looking for all the info I can in order to make a good decision.
I have no problem sending the ECU to have it flashed. Really I'm looking for some sort of reassurance that it indeed can be fixed..

Thanks
not all bikes have a throttle issue. Mine don't.
Tell the dealer that buying the bike is conditional on trying it first for throttle issue

·
Registered
111 Posts
My bike never had the throttle issue either. After installing PC and deactivating the PAIR system, still no concerns. I love riding this bike more each time I throw a leg over it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine had some of the "snatchiness",but after I adjusted the TPS sensor and it is much better. My last bike was an '05 FZ1 that was re-jetted and dyno-tuned, so its fueling was sublime.
I put 50,000 miles on that bike before trading it for the GSX, so I was probably a little hyper-sensitive to the " on - off " throttle transitions to begin with.

·
Registered
307 Posts
mine was a early model last year and mine was a bit snatchy but nothing terrible , i took out the huge free-play out of the throttle had a new ecu on warranty and now it is brill best bike i have had so far better than my old zzr14

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine was a late model 2015. I adjusted the TPS and it helped a little bit then i had the ECM replaced under warranty and it rides better then ever. I commute to work on it everyday in heavy traffic and its no problem it also sorted out the surging at low speed.

Love this bike not that i have a lot of bikes to compare it to.

Don't make you judgement based on the throttle i am glad i didn't.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mine had some of the "snatchiness",but after I adjusted the TPS sensor and it is much better. My last bike was an '05 FZ1 that was re-jetted and dyno-tuned, so its fueling was sublime.
I put 50,000 miles on that bike before trading it for the GSX, so I was probably a little hyper-sensitive to the " on - off " throttle transitions to begin with.
Do you have any tips on adjusting the TPS? Do you have to lift or remove the tank? I have a service manual, but some of the details are not clear. I'm seeing recommended output voltages of 1.1 - 1.14 closed and 4.5 open. Is there a direction to fudge these voltages to reduce the throttle abruptness?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Your best bet is to a forum search for tps adjustment. Extensively covered and difficult to reiterate in one post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
Your best bet is to a forum search for tps adjustment. Extensively covered and difficult to reiterate in one post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried to use the forum search, but that was completely useless ("TPS too short and not included in search"). Was able to find results using Google site-specific search, though. I've just been wading through a thread called "Primary TPS could be the key to SNATCH???" which is VERY long but has a lot of good info. So far I haven't found anyone who has actually checked voltages on the TPS, only used the service mode to read -C00 on the dash. But that may be good enough, at least a good place to start since checking that doesn't require removal of any fairings.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I tried to use the forum search, but that was completely useless ("TPS too short and not included in search"). Was able to find results using Google site-specific search, though. I've just been wading through a thread called "Primary TPS could be the key to SNATCH???" which is VERY long but has a lot of good info. So far I haven't found anyone who has actually checked voltages on the TPS, only used the service mode to read -C00 on the dash. But that may be good enough, at least a good place to start since checking that doesn't require removal of any fairings.

Hi Gary,
Start reading the same thread from Post 124
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...ns/28994-primary-tps-could-key-snatch-13.html

Going back to Tab 13,Post 60 - 124 there are pictures of the TP sensor position, references to the test plug wiring connection layout, and a photo of the service manual open on the page showing the where the TPS test voltages are taken from.

If you do remove panels, a seriously good hint is to mask up the frame side edge of the 'meter' panel. That's the cover around the ignition key.
A few people have found that when you pull to dislodge the retaining pins behind the panel, it moves in an unexpected direction with the result of deep 10 mm gouges in the paint of the panel.

Rob.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi G-Dub,
In that thread check out pg 38, post 373. It shows the voltage range that is required for proper operation of the TPS. Then a few pages later there are pics and part numbers for the Kawasaki test harness that works on our bikes. Same function as Suzuki's test harness, for a lot less money. You will also want to make some sort of junmper for the "service mode" plug under the passenger seat to see the C00 indicator.

I know there are a lot of pages in that thread, but if you take an hour to read the whole thing, you won't have any problems setting your TPS. :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks guys, I just finished reading that entire thread, some fluff, but a lot of good experience and advice there. Thanks for the tip about the fairing - I would be seriously bummed (to put it mildly) if I gouged a brand new bike. I've ordered the proper cables to make the TPS adjustment as free from frustration as possible.

Reactions: DenverYZF
1 - 14 of 14 Posts