GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12V Power time for the MF'rs GSX-S.

I used to install the cigarette style 12V power outlet clamped on my bars for my on-board 12V power. But this time I wanted something different so I went with a dual USB port charger. This can supply power to my cell phone and my Garmin at the same time. And it is small and simple.

It is "water proof" because that what Amazon told me it was. It has a 48" cord with a SAE connector on the end. I simply connect it to my battery tender lead and if I plan on parking the bike for an extended length of time I will on disconnect it. The mini transformer inside this device introduces a very small parasitic load and it will drain the battery over a very long period. I am too lazy to install a fuse block to have switched power so this was my compromise.

My battery tender lead is on the left side of the bike just below the seat. I routed the cable under the tank on the left side--generally following the throttle cable path. 48" is just barely enough which is good--leaves no extra slop.

I used a small patch of velcro to secure the USB outlet housing to the top Triple Tree clamp. This is my first iteration and I may change this if it does not work over time.

I just wanted to share this install with everyone and maybe get some new and better ideas how to go about getting power to the handlebars on the GSX-S.

IMG_7280 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Handlebars full right:
IMG_7281 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Handlebars full left:
IMG_7282 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Overall view from riders view:
IMG_7283 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
974 Posts
This will be one of my next projects only i will be installing a cigarette lighter socket, the reason for the socket is that i have a very small usb port that plugs into it to charge my phone and unlike your setup i use my phone as a GPS so i only need 1 USB port.
Also the socket will serve two other purposes, one is to supply power to pump up an air bed when away on the bike and also as it will be run direct to the battery with a fuse i use the socket also to plug in a trickle charger over winter.
I have the F model so i'm gong to drill a hole and flush mounting it in the top of the fairing next the instrument panel and the sockets comes with a waterproof cap and this is the same as i did with my GSXF, only downside is you need to unplug it when you remove the fairing but no big deal as it will have spade lugs for easy disconnection, i will post some pics when i'm done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts