GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted the dark tint Powerbronze windscreen on my F model. My first reaction when pulling it out of the box was it seemed smaller than expected. I do like the dark tint. You can see from my pics the difference between stock and the Powerbronze.

Performance: I'm 5'11"....the stock screen had the air hitting me mid chest and going into my helmet, even with a chin windskirt on the helmet...and my eyes would water.

The Powerbronze unit takes the air off my chest but not over my helmet. But my eyes no longer water as no air is entering under my helmet. Cruising at 80mph is a nicer experience.

I was able to get the trim for the shield installed unlike another person on here. Nice to not have the crazy sharp edge.

If you are looking for NO air hitting you this isn't the option.

I paid $79.95 USD plus $10 shipping. Took about 10 days to get it shipped.

Im happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NOTE, if you install this shield check clearance for both mirrors when the bars are turned full distance. I have to move my mirrors outward about .25". No negative effect.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Installed

Powerbronze screen and tailtidy put on today, not too sure about the tail tidy but probably look better with a small plate;)
Then did 50 miles in the pouring rain:(
Bike now washed and back in garage!

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Powerbronze screen and tailtidy put on today, not too sure about the tail tidy but probably look better with a small plate;)
How do you find the wind now with the new screen, does it direct it over your helmet now?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm 6' 1" and the Powerbronze screen doesn't direct the wind blast over my head, but it is a noticeable improvement on the original (in looks too). Triple digit mph is perfectly sustainable >:D

Personally I wouldn't go any taller with the screen because I think they start to look fugly.

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the colour, pls? Is it "light tint" or "dark tint"? Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I ordered one in 'clear' with No Logo, and no dark tint at the bottom. It ended up looking really good! I personally didn't find much benefit and won't be getting one for the new bike. I guess I should say, I felt the benefit was outweighed by the performance above 90-100mph.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I ordered one in 'clear' with No Logo, and no dark tint at the bottom. It ended up looking really good! I personally didn't find much benefit and won't be getting one for the new bike. I guess I should say, I felt the benefit was outweighed by the performance above 90-100mph.
Are you saying it hurt high-speed performance? I have a Powerbronze fitted now as I was getting a lot of buffeting and pressure changes around the bottom of the helmet with the stock screen. The Powerbronze is better, but I'm just barely above a "buffeting layer" - if I dip down an inch or two I get the buffeting, if I sit up straight it gets better. I played around with the tilt of the screen using various length spacers and it really didn't seem to change or improve it, although at a higher angle it was better to tuck in behind for higher speeds. So, I believe that the buffeting is actually coming from around the sides of the screen. I still might experiment with something different, maybe a shorter screen that will block most wind to the torso but leave my head in clean air.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Are you saying it hurt high-speed performance? I have a Powerbronze fitted now as I was getting a lot of buffeting and pressure changes around the bottom of the helmet with the stock screen. The Powerbronze is better, but I'm just barely above a "buffeting layer" - if I dip down an inch or two I get the buffeting, if I sit up straight it gets better. I played around with the tilt of the screen using various length spacers and it really didn't seem to change or improve it, although at a higher angle it was better to tuck in behind for higher speeds. So, I believe that the buffeting is actually coming from around the sides of the screen. I still might experiment with something different, maybe a shorter screen that will block most wind to the torso but leave my head in clean air.
I found that the front end would buffet, or oscillate or something, at high speeds. I also felt the stock screen was more conducive to hanging off - maybe the PowerBronze screen was dumping air around the sides of the screen, and when I moved off the seat I'd move into the airflow.

I'm in the same boat as you, with my helmet just at the 'buffeting layer' - if I sit up really tall it gets better. The PowerBronze screen made the buffeting layer seem a little less drastic, but at the same time I felt that it created a larger turbulent zone and therefore wasn't any quieter. It might have taken a small amount of pressure off my chest but I felt that benefit was negated by the front end oscillation and 'wall of air' encountered when hanging off at high speed.

This is just my experience/opinion - I honestly didn't mean to detract from the thread. They are quality screens, look awesome, and PowerBronze is awesome to work with. The screen just didn't work for me and my riding style.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's not surprising that the protection area is narrower as the Powerbronze has a sharper curve in it towards the top. And I think all experiences and informed opinions only add to the discussion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts