GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather here has been a bit wet so took advantage of the down time and installed a Powerlet plug into the side cowl upper, powered by the switched accessory plug under the tank. This will run my detector or phone charger as needed.

What a pain those fairings are, although it went a lot quicker than the first time.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Weather here has been a bit wet so took advantage of the down time and installed a Powerlet plug into the side cowl upper, powered by the switched accessory plug under the tank. This will run my detector or phone charger as needed.

What a pain those fairings are, although it went a lot quicker than the first time.
Sounds like you did an install similar to mine

I've taken the fairings on and off so many times its a 12 minute job to remove and replace all of it

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
nice work both of you.

off topic:
@PhuketPaul how much did you lower the front? how does it feel?
Its no longer lowered, I did lower it 4mm but with the new shock and the 200/55 rear tyre the front is now back to stock height and turns in beautifully.

Did a fast 400km ride with a mate on his 750 yesterday and my bike felt absolutely awesome, perfect even - Engine was smooth and powerful and every point in the range, suspension was compliant but handled wonderfully - It felt like perfection - couldn't have asked for anymore

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it fair to assume that this is only waterproof when nothing is plugged in and the rubber is covering the USB ports? You can't have phones plugged into the usb ports while its raining... right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
As an FYI I did find these marine waterproof (while charging) USB ports from Scanstrut.com They do have a big footprint though.

The first one is 1.53" by 3.7". The second is 2.2" by 3.15". Last night I made some cardboard cutouts just to approximate the size. I think you could install the first one on the flatter horizontal part of the fairing (on an F model) almost underneath the handlebars. It would look pretty big though; not sure I'm willing to compromise that much.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are pretty cool. I noticed they have theirs mounted vertical...just wondering if mounting it flat would compromise the weatherproofing? Probably as long as you had some degree of slope where the water would not run up the cord, you'd be fine.

Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agreed, some slope would be better than none. I was wondering if there was a way to install it inside the fairing but looking around nothing jumped out at me; plus you'd have the hassle of reaching in there to hook it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just want to confirm the location of the switched accessory plug on a 2018F. If you lift the tank it is in front of the airbox on the right down low between the frame and the airbox... right? I don't see how I can plug something into it without removing the airbox first (which would also require removing the tank too), is this correct? The plug seems to be on a short leash...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it's not easy to access but it can be done with just lifting then tank. When you get ready to plug into it, just use something long to brace behind it, reach down and try to get it started, then push it the rest of the way in with a screwdriver or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks, I'm leaning toward getting an EasternBeaver 3C-S kit made for my F and I'm debating what to use for the signal connection. The accessory connector is pretty far away from where the kit would be (near the battery) so that's why I'm wondering; they should be able to make a tailight signal connector which would be a lot easier and closer to the kit.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts