GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering if the slippers clutch of the gsx s1000 won't prevent push starting. On a flat battery i push start my sv by letting myself fall onto the saddle while releasing the clutch but won't the slipper clutch ... slip by doing this exercise on the gsx?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hayabusa wouldn’t fire either, I think the injectors couldn’t get primed. If the fuel pump came on but not enough battery to turn it over, I could still bump start it. I never tried my SV though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmmm, I didn’t even think about it and my gsxs fired right up dropping the clutch in second gear rolling downhill. You saying it shouldn’t with this clutch? However, my battery wasn’t dead either.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hmmm, I didn’t even think about it and my gsxs fired right up dropping the clutch in second gear rolling downhill. You saying it shouldn’t with this clutch? However, my battery wasn’t dead either.
What year is yours?
Only the newer ones have a slipper clutch. No disrespect but yours looks like 15-16 colours

·
Registered
113 Posts
What year is yours?
Only the newer ones have a slipper clutch. No disrespect but yours looks like 15-16 colours
Beaker, didn't realize they had changed the clutch, thanks for the info.
My bike is a 2016 and it does not bother me one bit if it's "old" cause I guess I'll start that sucker rolling down the hill when I need to and I got it for half-$$$ compared to a new one including a few grand of aftermarket parts already on it. And it matches me perfectly, cause I'm "old" too :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Curious, trying to think this through. If the battery is dead, then you'd need to get the engine turning enough to power the fuel pump to enough pressure to activate the fuel injectors before it'd fire, right? Is this possible?

I failed to bump start my carb'd FZ1 down a parking garage, did succeed in bump starting my DRZ, but haven't ever tried bump starting an FI bike before.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Beaker, didn't realize they had changed the clutch, thanks for the info.

My bike is a 2016 and it does not bother me one bit if it's "old" cause I guess I'll start that sucker rolling down the hill when I need to and I got it for half-$$$ compared to a new one including a few grand of aftermarket parts already on it. And it matches me perfectly, cause I'm "old" too :)

That’s the spirit!
Mines a 2015 too and to be honest I haven’t found a time street riding when it would need a slipper clutch anyway.
Just modulate the throttle properly on the down shift and you can reduce the engine drag to suit.
I can only see a use for it on the track or if someone is completely ham fisted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Curious, trying to think this through. If the battery is dead, then you'd need to get the engine turning enough to power the fuel pump to enough pressure to activate the fuel injectors before it'd fire, right? Is this possible?

I failed to bump start my carb'd FZ1 down a parking garage, did succeed in bump starting my DRZ, but haven't ever tried bump starting an FI bike before.

If it’s completely dead you won’t get it started. You are right, the fuel pump won’t prime and you are stuffed.
Most often a really low battery or just an old weak one will try to turn the engine over but the starter motor takes so much current there isn’t enough left for a spark as well.
That said, if there is enough juice left to prime the pump and fire a spark. In those circumstances you can still bump start. My RC 51 used to get bump started quite regularly cause it wasn’t getting regular use.
Mind you, it took a lot of effort to get that beast going

·
Registered
113 Posts
That’s the spirit!
Mines a 2015 too and to be honest I haven’t found a time street riding when it would need a slipper clutch anyway.
Just modulate the throttle properly on the down shift and you can reduce the engine drag to suit.
I can only see a use for it on the track or if someone is completely ham fisted

Doing the throttle "blipping" just right is part of the fun of riding a bike if you ask me!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts