GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking of trading my Ninja 1K for a GSXS, it's just too busy on the freeway. What is this bike like and how much of a difference does the 18 toother made? 70mph for me is plenty

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey guys, I'm thinking of trading my Ninja 1K for a GSXS, it's just too busy on the freeway. What is this bike like and how much of a difference does the 18 toother made? 70mph for me is plenty

Thanks!
I put one on my bike a few weeks ago and love it.....it makes a noticeable difference on the highway. For $25 and about 45 mins of your time it's definitely worth while. I posted a thread with pics, part numbers and some of the tools you"ll need, if you search for "18 tooth" you" find it and a couple of others threads that have some good info. :)

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-appearance-modifications/24305-vortex-18-tooth-sprocket.html

Reactions: German

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ditch. Welcome. BTW, you don't need the "s" in RPM's. R = Revolutions and is plural already. RPM's comes off more like Revolutions Per Minutes. lol On a side note, I have always wondered why the "Per" needs it's own letter. It's not even a word. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Gixxus, I named my middle son Per. He is going to be sad because of what you said.

Seriously, I wondered the same thing...."RM" would have covered it.

The ninja 1000 is a nice bike. It low end power, and torque is stronger than the Suzuki. Under 5000 rpm. Broken in, its vibration is similar. After a reflsh, the engine is a monster. However, one annoying part of the Ninja is its transmission.

Instead of 1.2.3.4.5.6, the ninja feels like 1.2.3.3a.3b.3c Gear 4.5.and 6 are too close to each other. Perfect for your race track bike, but on soemthign meant for sport touring?

At 70mph, the stock bike is turning 5000 rpm and I know any and all of us would prefer something closer to 4000. It doesn't hurt anything, but its annoying as can be.

If you raise your front sprocket to get closer to this, first gear becomes too tall and you lose low end snap.

I felt like the suzuki was much better, in this regard.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was thinking about changing the sprocket but after touring on the GSXS for about 4000 km I'm not so sure. It was fine. 6th could do with being a little longer. To use rcannon409's description 6th feels a bit like 5b. I'll think about going down 1 tooth on the back I think that would be enough for me.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ditch. Welcome. BTW, you don't need the "s" in RPM's. R = Revolutions and is plural already. RPM's comes off more like Revolutions Per Minutes.
Thank you. "rpms" drives me nuts... and what's with the apostrophe?

On my DL650, going up one tooth on the front sprocket brought the speedometer from nearly 8% high to dead nuts accurate. I would change it on the GSXS just for that reason, but I don't think the speed sensor on the GSXS is over top of the front sprocket the way it is on the 650.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The GSXS is geared low for ,as suzuki puts it, excitement.Luckily the simple changing of a front or rear sprocket can bring about whatever suits you. You must be very rich if you are thinking of changing the Ninja for a Suzy, simply cos you don't like the gearing.
You may find the GS even busier.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thank you. "rpms" drives me nuts... and what's with the apostrophe?

On my DL650, going up one tooth on the front sprocket brought the speedometer from nearly 8% high to dead nuts accurate. I would change it on the GSXS just for that reason, but I don't think the speed sensor on the GSXS is over top of the front sprocket the way it is on the 650.
The 's seemed appropriate. Unknown territory and all.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The ninja is much better with a one tooth larger front sprocket. The stock bike has a lot of torque and will easily pull it...however, third forth and fifth are still too close together.

I believe they should all be required to have the overdrive 6th of the concours 14. The c14 is turning 3000 rpm at 70 in 6th gear. You pretty much need to drop a gear to pass, but so what?

The thing is, why not? 1-5 is plenty of choices for normal riding, or can be designed as such. You reserve that 6th gear for droning along the highway.

I dont know if this idea is appropriate for this suzuki, but many other bikes could and should be set up this way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The ninja is much better with a one tooth larger front sprocket. The stock bike has a lot of torque and will easily pull it...however, third forth and fifth are still too close together.

I believe they should all be required to have the overdrive 6th of the concours 14. The c14 is turning 3000 rpm at 70 in 6th gear. You pretty much need to drop a gear to pass, but so what?

The thing is, why not? 1-5 is plenty of choices for normal riding, or can be designed as such. You reserve that 6th gear for droning along the highway.

I dont know if this idea is appropriate for this suzuki, but many other bikes could and should be set up this way.
The Suzy V-Strom 1000 i tested many years ago had identical gearing to my SVS1000 until you got to 6th. On the SV it pulled like a demon , on the V strom
the revs dropped right off , and you had overdrive for the hwy. The design brief for the GSXS is way different , but maybe if the touring style F outsells the naked bike, customer pressure may get them to change to an overdrive top gear.The GSXS was never meant as a long haul tourer, and on the rare occasions i travel far from home i find the ''busy'' top gear helps me keep my speed legalish on our over policed Australian roads. I personally like the yee haa factor of the current gearing including top. But we're all riding on different hwy's

·
Registered
451 Posts
4tune, I get what your saying, and it makes sense....however, we would still have gears 1-5 to work with. Many older touring bikes had only 5 gears, so the tall 6th could be a bonus. These bikes have 150 hp, and turn a lot of rpm's so its not as if we would be trying to pull gears our bikes were not capable of pulling.

Seriously, suzuki and kawasaki can say these bikes were not designed for long distances, and thats fine, but an overdrive 6th would be pleasant on a 5 mile freeway section.

We went through this on our dirt bikes. The close ratio transmissions were great for a track, but very poor for general offroading. Sadly, we've bought into the same thing here.

When you flipped the question around, and ask what would it hurt if the gears were further apart, the list is pretty short.

As far as using gears to keep speeds low, thats still possible. you just dont shift into 6th. Stay in 5th, or 4th.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We went through this on our dirt bikes. The close ratio transmissions were great for a track, but very poor for general offroading.
Haha, yup. I have a DRZ400SM with a bunch of bits ready to go into it. Last piece of the puzzle on the shopping list is a wide ratio gear box. 1st is too tall and everything else is too short. Still loads of fun though >:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone happen to know if the GSX is geared higher or lower than the ninja in 6th? I've been to Gearing commander and not found it very accurate regarding the bikes I've owned.

Getting a test ride on one of these bikes in not easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts