GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about the seating position of the bike. It's hard to tell exactly how upright the seating position is from the videos/pictures I've seen and there's nothing in stock around me to go see for myself. What I'm curious about is whether the "upright" position is considered upright for sportbike riders or is it truly upright like you might find on an adventure bike? Somewhere in between? I'm 5'11 with a bit of a long torso and long arms. I'm going to be touring on this bike by myself and with my wife so planning on racking up a lot of miles and need to be comfy.

I haven't seen anything on the forum about this yet but is it possible to add risers or a taller bar to this bike to move the riding position back?

I had an '09 SV650SF with the clip ons and that position got to be a bit too much for me (my R6 was great at the track but that's about it). Having to look up when riding would pinch a nerve in my neck and then put pressure on my lower back. My current bike, DRZ400, is straight upright and no issues there. Along with the 1000GT, I'm also considering the Honda Africa Twin but with the Adventure model being more than $4k more (and the fact that I've loved my Suzi's), I'm really leaning towards the GT.

Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's the F... The GT is even more upright.
If I sit bolt-upright on my GT (I'm 5'8") with arms outstretched then my knuckles are just about touching the grips. It's a very slight forward lean.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I added some sw-motech risers to my F, a big improvement. The wide bars tended to keep my arms more taught than I prefer, the risers eased that a bunch and let the bars rotate down a bit which helped with hand comfort.

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F, __ 2022 GSX-S1000GT
81 Posts
This might help. It was reasonably accurate for me. I'm 5'8" with 30.5" inseam and I can reach the ground comfortably when stopped at lights but not with both heels on ground. The riding position looks like what it feels like. I'd add that there's room to slide forward and backward on the seat. I can sit almost fully upright if my nuts are up against the tank. Or I can slide my arse back until it touches the rear seat and it's more of a sporty position though still nowhere near sports bike territory.

·
Registered
77 Posts
omg yeah not remotely close to sportbike posture. The rearset position on the F gsx is a bit forward to facilitate much of an aggressive lean- similarly it makes weighting the pegs and lifting weight off the seat less effective. OTOH with a comfortable reach to the bars, posture is way less effort to maintain, I find I'm somewhat less prone to holding myself up with the bars. I'm about 6' so really needed the risers to make all that happen. I'm relatively forward on the seat but not jammed up against the tank, both feet can comfortably reach the ground but not both flat on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One of the reason I chose my bike (18 Naked) is so I could swap bars pegs etc to get the perfect riding position for me. We are not limited by clips ons (unless the new GT differs) which restrict our changes.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I can't flat foot the bike at 5'8 both my fronts of feet, I feel stable, but the previous gsxs1000 naked, I could flat foot. oh well
I thought that might be because the GT has a different rear sub frame compared to the Naked, but the seat is said to be able to be interchangeable.
So that stuff's that reason. As far I remember the stats, the old and new Naked have the same seat height.

Rob.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm curious about the seating position of the bike. It's hard to tell exactly how upright the seating position is from the videos/pictures I've seen and there's nothing in stock around me to go see for myself. What I'm curious about is whether the "upright" position is considered upright for sportbike riders or is it truly upright like you might find on an adventure bike? Somewhere in between? I'm 5'11 with a bit of a long torso and long arms. I'm going to be touring on this bike by myself and with my wife so planning on racking up a lot of miles and need to be comfy.

I haven't seen anything on the forum about this yet but is it possible to add risers or a taller bar to this bike to move the riding position back?

I had an '09 SV650SF with the clip ons and that position got to be a bit too much for me (my R6 was great at the track but that's about it). Having to look up when riding would pinch a nerve in my neck and then put pressure on my lower back. My current bike, DRZ400, is straight upright and no issues there. Along with the 1000GT, I'm also considering the Honda Africa Twin but with the Adventure model being more than $4k more (and the fact that I've loved my Suzi's), I'm really leaning towards the GT.

Thanks!
It wont be comfortable on long rides and you're better off with a road-biased ADV bike with a 19 inch front like the V-Strom.

I am 6'1 and amongst all nakeds I have found MT-10 and the R1250R to be the most comfortable due to a lower forward lean angle.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts

Thanks!
I'm 70. Bad back, knees, elbows, wrists etc. and recovering from a bad accident. The only issues I have with comfort on the GT are the seat and tight leg room. I can't believe how comfortable it is. What a joy it is to ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm 70. Bad back, knees, elbows, wrists etc. and recovering from a bad accident. The only issues I have with comfort on the GT are the seat and tight leg room. I can't believe how comfortable it is. What a joy it is to ride.
Good to know - what’s the longest you’ve spent on the bike? An hour or so and I can ride pretty much anything but those longer days in the saddle are what worry me.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
Good to know - what’s the longest you’ve spent on the bike? An hour or so and I can ride pretty much anything but those longer days in the saddle are what worry me.
Longest has been 4 hours with a refueling break. Butt starts to ache by 1.5 hours. I tend to never want to stop and take a break but if I do, even briefly, it's not a problem. The OEM grips are hard, which is typical and replacing them with softer aftermarket grips has helped a great deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Longest has been 4 hours with a refueling break. Butt starts to ache by 1.5 hours. I tend to never want to stop and take a break but if I do, even briefly, it's not a problem. The OEM grips are hard, which is typical and replacing them with softer aftermarket grips has helped a great deal.
I just found a dealer with three of them and got a chance to sit on one and have the wife get on the back. She complained about how hard the rear seat was so I think a Corbin would be in order like I had on my SV. The problem was that the dealer had just taken a '16 BMW S1000XR in on trade and I sat on that. Perfectly upright, very comfy and about $3k less...now I sit and ponder.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
I just found a dealer with three of them and got a chance to sit on one and have the wife get on the back. She complained about how hard the rear seat was so I think a Corbin would be in order like I had on my SV. The problem was that the dealer had just taken a '16 BMW S1000XR in on trade and I sat on that. Perfectly upright, very comfy and about $3k less...now I sit and ponder.
Aren't Corbins known to be hard? I had one many years ago and didn't like it at all. Have liked Sargent seats on many bikes but unfortunately they have no plans to produce one for the GT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aren't Corbins known to be hard? I had one many years ago and didn't like it at all. Have liked Sargent seats on many bikes but unfortunately they have no plans to produce one for the GT.
They're definitely not soft but they break in well and I found the one on my SV to be comfortable. Rode from Los Angeles to Wyoming and back on it and the seat wasn't an issue. But I don't know if they plan to make one for the GT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts