GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a service manual, but it hasn't arrived--that might have my basic shock answers.

And I'm thinking I'm surely not the first person to wonder about these things,
but I also figure the answers might be enlightening.

Anyway, by chance is the spring on the stock shock removable?
If so, it would be a cheaper option to replace it with something less stiff for the lighter folks, no? Cheaper than a new shock.

And I am guessing the stock shock is not otherwise rebuildable? And by rebuildable, I mean modifiable by RaceTech or Cogent?

It bothers me a bit that for both the Bandit 1200 and the SV650, one could easily find used/cheap shock upgrades from the Busa & GSXR models, but this GSXS doesn't have such a cheap option. What's up with that? Could someone that is hip to other the shocks on other Suzuki models please elaborate on why the GSXS is such a difficult bike for which to find a suitable shock swap. Does it look like Suzuki HAD to make it difficult or was it just a lot easier for them to make thrifty people miserable? Ha, ha.

Thank you.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The stock spring was correct for my weight. The issue with the stock shock is the lack of any compression damping adjustability . It's set incredibly hard and there's nothing you can do with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes, you can swap out the spring for a progressive one, there is a thread on here about it. He was happy with the difference. The R1 shock works great if you don’t mind cutting the support under the seat and buying a smaller battery. Tuono shock bolts in too but not near as good of a shock as the R1 and no cutting is required.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beeza62

Yes, you can swap out the spring for a progressive one, there is a thread on here about it. He was happy with the difference. The R1 shock works great if you don’t mind cutting the support under the seat and buying a smaller battery. Tuono shock bolts in too but not near as good of a shock as the R1 and no cutting is required.
As I’ve said before I put in an R1 shock and did not cut anything or use a smaller battery!😤🤬🤯

·
Registered
446 Posts
As I’ve said before I put in an R1 shock and did not cut anything or use a smaller battery!😤🤬🤯
In doing so you have to make plates, then raising the rear of the bike because the shock is longer than stock. I was the first one to do it that way. If you want to keep the stock geometry you need to cut the support. The r1 shock has adjustment for length, all the way out is about the same as our stock shock. With a 55 series tire bang on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beeza62

In doing so you have to make plates, then raising the rear of the bike because the shock is longer than stock. I was the first one to do it that way. If you want to keep the stock geometry you need to cut the support. The r1 shock has adjustment for length, all the way out is about the same as our stock shock. With a 55 series tire bang on it.
Yes it raises the rear about 10mm, I’m only 5’ 6” and about 12 stone and have no problems with the geometry!

·
Registered
584 Posts
You can take out ALL the spring pre-load in your stock shock and it is still going to feel too stiff at times because the spring is not the issue. The shock has too much high-speed compression dampening and that is not adjustable. The shock works okay until you hit sharp bumps and the shock has to react quickly. Under those circumstances, it doesn't feel like a shock ABSORBER at all...more like a shock TRANSFERER.

You can try an R1 shock or Tuono shock as described above (model years that would work would help you guys!) but you would be better off getting a replacement shock that is built specifically for this bike. You can get one for as low as $480 (Wilbers type 540 Road shock). See attached pic.

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Suzuki/GSX-S-1000-F-DG/?cur=3&year=2016

They will ask you questions about your weight and riding style when you order so they can match the shock to you. Keep in mind that when I ordered, they were asking for weight in KILOGRAMS so I had to find an online calculator to convert POUNDS to KILOGRAMS and get the form filled in correctly.

Use the money you were going to spend on a LAP (loud-azz pipe) and get the shock absorber instead. You'll be happy you did. Besides, this bike is already pretty 'throaty' for a factory machine. That surprised me. Kinda cool, really.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
You can take out ALL the spring pre-load in your stock shock and it is still going to feel too stiff at times because the spring is not the issue. The shock has too much high-speed compression dampening and that is not adjustable. The shock works okay until you hit sharp bumps and the shock has to react quickly. Under those circumstances, it doesn't feel like a shock ABSORBER at all...more like a shock TRANSFERER.

You can try an R1 shock or Tuono shock as described above (model years that would work would help you guys!) but you would be better off getting a replacement shock that is built specifically for this bike. You can get one for as low as $480 (Wilbers type 540 Road shock). See attached pic.

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Suzuki/GSX-S-1000-F-DG/?cur=3&year=2016

They will ask you questions about your weight and riding style when you order so they can match the shock to you. Keep in mind that when I ordered, they were asking for weight in KILOGRAMS so I had to find an online calculator to convert POUNDS to KILOGRAMS and get the form filled in correctly.

Use the money you were going to spend on a LAP (loud-azz pipe) and get the shock absorber instead. You'll be happy you did. Besides, this bike is already pretty 'throaty' for a factory machine. That surprised me. Kinda cool, really.
I agree that the stock shock issue isn't the spring. The shock does not respond to high speed hits, even on the lowest compression damping setting. I went with a K-Tech (same spring rate as stock) which is more money than the Wilbers but more adjustable too.. I don't know whether the K-Tech is worth the added expense over the Wilbers, but I know both are worth the cost of upgrading from stock. My spine thanks me on every ride.

·
Registered
584 Posts
K-Tech is a great shock! Didn't mean to imply otherwise by omission. If a guy can afford to spend more, they'll get more by picking up a shock with more adjustments available. Wilbers also has two other shocks with more adjustments available (for more money.) I was just trying to point the guy toward the least expensive "fix" for the problem. I just wish Suzuki had left the rear setup to match the old GSX-Rs so we could be buying those old shocks for cheap to use as replacements.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anything literally is better than the stock shock, I seems like Suzuki has heaps of them left over from the mk1 Bandit and thought what a great idea to save a bit of coin, it really ruins an absolute brilliant bike. I run a Nitron and am very impressed, all the quality aftermarket stuff is very good I just choose Nitron as my local suspension guy sells them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for cluing me in and weighing in on the rear shock.

I have decided to buy the Wilburs 641, and will be specifying
comfort and compliance on crappy roads rather than
high speed handling on glass smooth roads.

And then I will think about the fork. Am hoping it will be good enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry if i am necroing your thread here Verbatim, i am in the process of deciding if i want the faired or naked version of this machine. Initially i thought the F might handle better, as apparently it has a better front suspension to handle the extra weight, but looking at the different versions i cant really tell if this is true. Is the F just a heavier version or is there a benefit to it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The "F" model forks and springs are the same. As I understand it, all Suzuki did was put more oil in the forks on the F model to account for the slight weight gain of the fairing.

If you like to do long distant days at freeways speeds, the F model is for you. If you like day rides at various speeds, the "naked" model is more your cup of tea (or coffee.) Both great bikes. I'd just pick the one that looks "best" to your eyes and be happy.

We now return you to the OPs original thread regarding the OEM shock...which is a boat anchor with too much high speed compression dampening...and needs to be replaced by something (anything!) better. Wilbers has three options at various price points (all good) and K-Tech has a nice unit that's worth the money, too. And for our world readers, there are other options that'll work as well (Nitron?)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
OP, I had my stock shock rebuilt/revalved with new spring for my weight by Race Tech and it works great. A beefy aluminum spring collar was added as well as different spring color, so also looks trick now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put a Hyperpro progressive spring on 2016 F and it transformed the ass end as far as I'm concerned. Also the shocks slips out from underneath rather easily. Well worth the $$ and time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP, I had my stock shock rebuilt/revalved with new spring for my weight by Race Tech and it works great. A beefy aluminum spring collar was added as well as different spring color, so also looks trick now.
The plot thickens.
How much do they charge for that work? (I assume shock was off bike, sent in.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a Hyperpro progressive spring on 2016 F and it transformed the ass end as far as I'm concerned. Also the shocks slips out from underneath rather easily. Well worth the $$ and time.
Just to be clear, is the Hyperpro a SHOCK spring?
And if so, are you over 200 lbs?
I believe someone said the stock shock's compression damping was excessive, so only useful for heavier riders.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I weigh 220 lbs and my only worry was that the softer portion of the spring would be negated by my weight. Not sure what you mean by SHOCK spring but it is made to fit the shock on our bike. The spring that's on the bike now has a constant spring weight and tends to be too firm on the smaller jarring bumps. The progressive wound spring soaks up the imperfections in the road and makes the bike more comfortable to ride but still tightens up when you need it. I consider myself a very aggressive rider and spend most of my time on the twisties and Hyperpro has done a great job figuring out the compromise. In fact I also ride a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST which just today I installed one of their springs on that bike. I haven't had it on the road yet but I'm expecting the same results as I did on my 1000F. I don't have an issue with the rebound or the shock itself but only the spring and that problem is now solved for me.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just to be clear, is the Hyperpro a SHOCK spring?
And if so, are you over 200 lbs?
I believe someone said the stock shock's compression damping was excessive, so only useful for heavier riders.
I'm 225 lbs without gear on and the compression was too harsh even at that weight.
Made it a little better when i had my lady on the back, but she suffered a helmet shuddering ride unfortunately.
I understand those looking for a cheaper alternative as it's a budget bike to begin with.
There is no equal to a wilbers 641 or similar ktech, nitron etc
Skimp on other accessories, grab those $20 ebay mirrors or $30 windscreen, it matters not.
Spend the money on suspension where it counts and you will have a smile ear to ear every time you pull out your driveway.

I spent thousands on decat, Yoshi R11 pipe, mirrors, screens, seats, woolich tuning and race tools and the wilbers 641.
I bought it new for $15,500 and i'm probably around $21,000 with all the mods.
If i had to do only one, it would be the shock, and then the corbin seat. I could honestly live without the rest.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts