GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm considering picking up the throttle Tamer to help smooth out the sensitivity. So my question is does this help at steady cruising at different RPMs or is it only for on off throttle movement. Cuz I'm finding as I ride down the Road at a steady speed every bump jolt whatever has me moving the throttle whether I want to or not LOL. Thanks guys. Gene

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hopefully someone who has one fitted will pipe up

I've fitted them in the past though so I assume for our bike, like others, it will provide for less cable movement at the beginning of the throttle position only...meaning it reduces sensitivity in that area only.

However the snatchiness seems to come mostly from there anyway.

Others will hopefully confirm

·
Registered
891 Posts
Both. It spreads out the control so you need more movement for the result from the engine. It'll be much more controllable and softens out the jerks over the bumps. I don't even think about the throttle anymore since I got everything fixed on this bike.

Also, if you are worried about it being too soft, it's not, it's pretty **** perfect. In fact, when I switch to my other bikes their throttle feels soft in comparison.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's all I needed to hear thanks brother. Yeah I'm not worried about on off the throttle the B King has that a little it's just that steady cruising I mean this is like my 12th Street Bike and I've been riding now for about 35 years so I feel my throttle controls at least average. But this thing is so darn sensitive I try to relax my grip a little loosen up my wrist it still Yanks me around when I hit a bump I'm going to order me up one right now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have a Kaoko throttle lock on mine and ride with just a tad of tension dialed in. Not quite enough to hold the throttle solidly in place but enough to prevent my hand from jerking the throttle when I hit bumps and such. This was a big improvement too in addition to the Throttle Tamer.

Ron

·
Registered
333 Posts
I installed a Throttle Tamer on my 2018 S1000F mainly because of what I perceived as an overly sensitive throttle (fueling was not an issue). From a purely mechanical standpoint it only made about a 20% difference in the throttle response, but that amount actually made quite a substantial difference in overall controllability at light throttle operation (almost all of my riding is done at light throttle, lol, I'm an old man). IMO the throttle is pretty close to perfect now.

Another thing that helps with throttle control over rough roads is the fact that I'm still using the factory rubber grips, and there's a sort of friction "option" available at the root end of the grip because the Throttle Tamer doesn't have the root-end flange that the original throttle tube had, so I can just kinda hold the rubber flange on the grip up against the kill switch assembly and use that friction to help steady the throttle on rough roads.

The Throttle Tamer is the only mod I've made to my bike, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Okay so I'm considering picking up the throttle Tamer to help smooth out the sensitivity. So my question is does this help at steady cruising at different RPMs or is it only for on off throttle movement. Cuz I'm finding as I ride down the Road at a steady speed every bump jolt whatever has me moving the throttle whether I want to or not LOL. Thanks guys. Gene
Have you set the suspension up properly, I've upgraded and setup the suspension on my bike and then went the other way to a throttle tamer by fitting a much faster throttle as I don't get jolted around much by bumps and i hat having to twist my wrist too much to get WOT

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like a problem with riding technique rather than the bike. Going over bumps never causes me to move my throttle. Have you had this problem with other bikes?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds like a problem with riding technique rather than the bike. Going over bumps never causes me to move my throttle. Have you had this problem with other bikes?
I disagree that the OP's problem lies with his riding technique. The issue of difficult throttle control on less-than-smooth roads has been widely mentioned since the bike's initial release.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Lots of people have this problem with this bike. I have several bikes in my garage and only one of them did this. None of my previous bikes did this. Throttle tamer calmed it down quite a bit on the GSX-S. I agree that suspension setup would help too.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have the throttle tamer and also did the Kaoko trick mentioned above. A Nitron shock helped immensely and I was able to remove the Kaoko to install bar end mirrors. More than variations between bikes and riding technique, a lot of the differences experienced are in the types of roads ridden on. There is one stretch of road I regularly ride that has horrible pavement buckles...if I never had ridden on that or a similar road I may have never noticed the problem, or at least not thought it severe enough to take corrective action.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two thumbs up it worked better than I anticipated. I have a very choppy Road where a lot of the black top is peeling away for about 3 miles. Got to the end of it and then realized that I did not notice any issues with jerking or chopping of the throttle. Just like it should have been from the factory. And for those guys saying it slows the throttle down too much I say hogwash I can still whack the throttle and it responded just as quickly as it did before. If you're having issues holding it steady give it a try it works for me. Cheers Gene

·
Registered
333 Posts
Two thumbs up it worked better than I anticipated. I have a very choppy Road where a lot of the black top is peeling away for about 3 miles. Got to the end of it and then realized that I did not notice any issues with jerking or chopping of the throttle. Just like it should have been from the factory. And for those guys saying it slows the throttle down too much I say hogwash I can still whack the throttle and it responded just as quickly as it did before. If you're having issues holding it steady give it a try it works for me. Cheers Gene
Agreed. A throttle tamer was exactly what was needed to transform my bike from a difficult-to control animal to a well-behaved best friend. It's the only mod I've made to my bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had a throttle tamer on three bikes now. A Yamaha FZ-09, which was really twitchy. It really helped but I should have had it re flashed. I had my 1000F re flashed by Dano's and I had one that fit so I used it and it took out any studder that was still there, which wasn't much. I think they're great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts