GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to purchase an S1000F (red) in the next week or two. Does anyone have any regrets about questions they wish they would have asked, or questions they were glad they did ask? Mods they did/would have asked dealer to include w/ deal?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would suggest you ask if all recalls have been addressed before you pick up the bike
1. rad hose
2. calipers

i would also try to negotiate the first service cost to be included. and try to get some oil as several people have noticed the oil level drop right after they pick up the bike (prob due to empty oil filter etc.)

·
Registered
647 Posts
First service free and not "subsidised"
Try and get as many Suzuki extras as poss. These wasn't actually out when I got my bike.

Regrets... absolutely none.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love this bike. It just gets better and better every ride. It's a different bike with the Puig windscreen. A totally different bike. I'm so confident with this bike that I'm going to take it on our annual trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains to Ashville this year. That's a 2,600 mile round trip. This bike will do that distance no problem. I'm positive it will be more comfortable than my last Harley.

After 3,000 miles, my bike fully broke in and settled down. Now it runs as smooth as a baby's bum.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not really, but I'd formed a pretty good impression of what I'd be getting, and it has been almost exactly that.

Read every review you can from as many sources as possible, learn the good/bad. Watch as many videos of riding as you can, pay attention to how it handles/corners and the riding position. If you can find a place to test ride it, do so. If the dealer offers to let you ride it in the parking lot, don't (won't learn much and can negatively impact engine break-in) also verify no-one has ridden the bike you intend to buy, to include dry shifting (don't know why people do this, but it's bad, can cause false nuetrals years down the road). Read up on maintenance schedules and mods, make sure you've budgeted for them (especially first service, that comes fast) before you buy. If anything, ask the dealer questions you've already learned the answers to, get an impression of the trustworthiness and technical knowledge if you plan to have them perform any maintenance. Also ask if they have any gear discounts with purchase, and what the restrictions are (I did not, nor did they advertise it, just happened to need new boots at the time and got lucky), budget ahead to take advantage of that. Do some research on engine break in (you only get one chance) decide which concept you trust most, plan on that right from the start.

-Jaren

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. This is helpful so far.

Did any of you have the dreaded snatchy throttle issues? Is strange -- some people describe the S1000 as a death trap & others say it's perfectly fine once you get used to it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Two petty annoyances for me about the bike after I bought it... and they are minor.... no hazard lights (emergency flashers) on US models, I thought that was odd and no ambient temperature display as advertised. Some people are clock watchers, I'm a temp watcher.

GREAT advice by USSENTER... Ask the salesman things about the bike that you already know the answer to, to see how knowledgable and more importantly, how honest he is or is not.

The bike is a beast though and I love everything about it. 5500 miles and climbing. I installed a full M4 exhaust system less than two weeks ago and what a difference it made!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
GREAT advice by USSENTER... Ask the salesman things about the bike that you already know the answer to, to see how knowledgable and more importantly, how honest he is or is not
When I picked mine up from the dealer I was teaching him about the no clutch start and one button push and which GSXR the swing arm was from and the motor was from and .....
, he learned a lot that day :)

Reactions: m0bnd

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I picked mine up from the dealer I was teaching him about the no clutch start and one button push and which GSXR the swing arm was from and the motor was from and .....
That is very typical. Most sales floors are staffed by know-nothings, learning as they go who may last three months, six at most. One of our local shops had a kid who had never ridden.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This bike is very comfortable but a tad on the slow side so if your wanting top perf go with the R version as you cant really squeeze any more HP out of it and for what you’ll spend on mods could’ve gotten the R version anyway. i would sell mine but will take too big of a loss unless someone want to trade out with some extra cash i’d be down on a 2017 or newer R model

·
Registered
23 Posts
This bike is very comfortable but a tad on the slow side so if your wanting top perf go with the R version as you cant really squeeze any more HP out of it and for what you’ll spend on mods could’ve gotten the R version anyway. i would sell mine but will take too big of a loss unless someone want to trade out with some extra cash i’d be down on a 2017 or newer R model
This thread is 4 years old. I am sure he has bought something by now lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts