GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a friends 2014 Aprilia Tuono this weekend and it has a quick shifter. The quick shifter is the greatest thing since rubber tires. Anyway, the experience made me start thinking about adding one to my GSX S1000. Dynojet makes one and it requires a PCV but that is no problem because I ordered a PCV from Fuel Moto yesterday. I couldn't resist the temptation because it the PCV was on sale.

So, has anyone added a quick shifter to their GSX S1000? If so, which brand and how did it work out?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yep. HM superlite. I had to send the first one back as it would randomly stop working. Apparently this is very unusual but there was no argument from HM, I can't fault their customer service.
The replacement works perfectly. A whole lotta fun but it's the base model so doesn't do downshifting. :(
I wouldn't be without one now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yep. HM superlite. I had to send the first one back as it would randomly stop working. Apparently this is very unusual but there was no argument from HM, I can't fault their customer service.
The replacement works perfectly. A whole lotta fun but it's the base model so doesn't do downshifting. :(
I wouldn't be without one now.
Excuse my dimness ..but why is a quickshifter so good and why would you need one on a road bike..?... :confused:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've got the HM Seamless, fantastic bit of kit, decided this bike had to have one after having a OEM unit on my Tuono V4. No moving parts so nothing to wear out, just plug + play and they are interchangeable between bikes you may just need to change the coil loom, HM Quickshifter
Would of been happy with the Plus but they had an offer on their fb page selling the Plus SS for the same price. Customer service is excellent too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Every HM Quickshifter works in EITHER the “up” or “down” shift pattern (standard or GP shift)

that's good then. I want quickshifter for both up and down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'll take a slipper clutch over a quick shifter any day; don't see an after market slipper clutch for our bike as yet...anyone?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excuse my dimness ..but why is a quickshifter so good and why would you need one on a road bike..?... :confused:
You certainly don't have to have one under any riding conditions but when you are riding hard and fast on the twisties, which is what I bought the bike for, it just makes shifting so seamless and "quick" that it added to the pleasure of the ride. But, more than that, I will be using the bike for "track days" and believe it will be helpful in that venue. For a racer, it is a must have; for me, I just like the way it works and feels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'll take a slipper clutch over a quick shifter any day; don't see an after market slipper clutch for our bike as yet...anyone?
When the bike was announced early this year, every article I read assumed it would come with a slipper clutch just like the R1000. Some review articles written after the bike hit the market expressed disappointment that it did not have a slipper. I assume it was omitted for cost reasons. I was in a Suzuki dealership this past weekend in Atlanta and a salesman told me that he felt sure that a third party slipper would become available in the future. My frustration is that the US after-market industry seems very slow reacting to the bike. A prime example is a decent add-on wind screen for the naked version. Oh well, I'll continue to wait and watch for new stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You certainly don't have to have one under any riding conditions but when you are riding hard and fast on the twisties, which is what I bought the bike for, it just makes shifting so seamless and "quick" that it added to the pleasure of the ride. But, more than that, I will be using the bike for "track days" and believe it will be helpful in that venue. For a racer, it is a must have; for me, I just like the way it works and feels.
If you want to see what all the fuss is about you need to borrow a bike with a QS and experience it 1st hand. If you are hard on the gas it's the only way to bang through the gears, no need to think about it just hold the throttle wide open.
The other benefit is the ability to change gears mid corner which enables safer gear selection when you need it without throttling off or clutching when you least want to.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
i would agree, i ordered the OEM screen, it's small but looks sharp. i don't plan on doing too much to the bike but a slipper would be nice, although the gearing and smooth clutch do make it feel like their is a slipper component even if there isn't one. just have to blip and be somewhat accrurate on timing and it is actually very smooth transition. so not a neccesity but a "want" for sure.

When the bike was announced early this year, every article I read assumed it would come with a slipper clutch just like the R1000. Some review articles written after the bike hit the market expressed disappointment that it did not have a slipper. I assume it was omitted for cost reasons. I was in a Suzuki dealership this past weekend in Atlanta and a salesman told me that he felt sure that a third party slipper would become available in the future. My frustration is that the US after-market industry seems very slow reacting to the bike. A prime example is a decent add-on wind screen for the naked version. Oh well, I'll continue to wait and watch for new stuff.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have used Cordona, Healtech on my (ex)B-King and now Translogic quickshifter on the Gixxus.
I also have the "pot" to adjust the killtime.
Works perfect on my bike. Shifting during wheelies is so easy now. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a mate here in Aus who has his own business selling a few things for bikes and one of them is a quickshifter and he gets his stuff from Cordona Italy. If you want to try him out, Quick Lap Performance.

He is in Queensland Australia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After about 100 miles of twisty uppy downy roads my left hand hurts like ****. A quick shifter would be a great add on for me. I am not 21 any more!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I spoke to my mate and told him that I am hoping to buy a quickshifter from him in the near future. And he is more than willing to help out who ever wants one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't think an aftermarket one helps with cluthless down changes. But I have read with the GSX-R 1000 coming out next year(stand corrected) that it has a quickshifter which is clutchless up and down shift so you only need the clutch for take off.

If that helps, unless someone else knows a little more.

But I then have to ask has anyone changed the up and down shift to up shift being down and down shift being up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Patroontjie
I'm really interested in quickshifter. Do you know if they are easy to install?Doesn't have much info on it. might give him a call later.
Prices look decent. much cheaper than HM.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts