GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard acceleration FI light comes on and stays on power seems down. Stop shut off bike and restart bike light stays off until next hard throttle. Baby the bike and bike runs fine and light stays off. I don't know how to pull codes.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS 1000
69 Posts
Under the rear seat locate the white plug and jump the terminals as shown in the picture and the codes will read out on the dash. C00 is no error
Finger Font Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring

·
Registered
493 Posts
What year is your bike? If I remember correctly, jumping the terminals only works on the older ones.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,042 Posts
Jumping the terminals should work for all bikes (excluding the new models) it's just that later ones wont show the bar (-) for tps setting. You will still see any fault codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
_C00 No codes! Start it in the shop and twist the throttle quickly and engine light comes on and fi flashes. Shut it off and restart no engine light or fi flash. So apparently no code is being stored. Any ideas?

·
Registered
493 Posts
_C00 No codes! Start it in the shop and twist the throttle quickly and engine light comes on and fi flashes. Shut it off and restart no engine light or fi flash. So apparently no code is being stored. Any ideas?
Have you done any work to the bike recently?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you done any work to the bike recently?
Oil and filter change. Rode the bike 175 miles after that riding aggressive on and off no problems. Next day 100 miles no problems and went to pass a car and the engine light and fi came on. Pulled over shut off and restarted no trouble lights. Went on and same thing happens. Like clockwork. Ride real easy and the light stays off. Start to accelerate hard and light comes on every time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oil and filter change. Rode the bike 175 miles after that riding aggressive on and off no problems. Next day 100 miles no problems and went to pass a car and the engine light and fi came on. Pulled over shut off and restarted no trouble lights. Went on and same thing happens. Like clockwork. Ride real easy and the light stays off. Start to accelerate hard and light comes on every time.
How many miles are on this bike?

·
Registered
493 Posts
26,000 miles
At that mileage, the bike is certainly ready for some scheduled maintenance if you haven't already performed it recently. If not, I'd install a new air filter and a set of spark plugs. While the tank is off for those two items, I'd also pull the fuel pump out and inspect the fuel filter/strainer that's attached to the pump and if that is clean and clear, I'd test the pump itself. We've seen several cases of failing fuel pumps here, as well as plugged strainers. I believe there may have even been a recall on the pump at one time due to a number of premature failures.

There was also a thread here not too long ago where a member had similar symptoms as you're describing. I can't recall if he was getting the FI light along with it, but his bike would run fine at light load/low RPM, then fall flat on it's face and lose almost all power under heavy load/high RPM. He pulled his fuel pump assembly and found a plugged strainer. Replaced it and he was good to go again.

One other possibility is bad fuel. If you started experiencing this problem immediately, or very shortly after filling up, it's possible you got a tank full of bad gas that contains water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At that mileage, the bike is certainly ready for some scheduled maintenance if you haven't already performed it recently. If not, I'd install a new air filter and a set of spark plugs. While the tank is off for those two items, I'd also pull the fuel pump out and inspect the fuel filter/strainer that's attached to the pump and if that is clean and clear, I'd test the pump itself. We've seen several cases of failing fuel pumps here, as well as plugged strainers. I believe there may have even been a recall on the pump at one time due to a number of premature failures.

There was also a thread here not too long ago where a member had similar symptoms as you're describing. I can't recall if he was getting the FI light along with it, but his bike would run fine at light load/low RPM, then fall flat on it's face and lose almost all power under heavy load/high RPM. He pulled his fuel pump assembly and found a plugged strainer. Replaced it and he was good to go again.

One other possibility is bad fuel. If you started experiencing this problem immediately, or very shortly after filling up, it's possible you got a tank full of bad gas that contains water.
Just bought the bike couple weeks ago from the second owner who only had the bike this summer and said he only put 1800 miles on it. So unfortunately i could not get first hand history on the bike. I will dig into the work you mentioned. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since it will throw the FI light while sitting still, I would if you haven’t already leave the passenger seat off so you can get to the diagnostic plug and make the bike throw the FI light and without turning the bike off see what code is showing while the light is still on and motorcycle is running. I had a similar problem with my motorcycle doing the same. It would turn the FI light on but when I stopped and turned the bike off so I could get into the trunk to pull the code it wouldn’t store it. In my case it was my quickshifter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since it will throw the FI light while sitting still, I would if you haven’t already leave the passenger seat off so you can get to the diagnostic plug and make the bike throw the FI light and without turning the bike off see what code is showing while the light is still on and motorcycle is running. I had a similar problem with my motorcycle doing the same. It would turn the FI light on but when I stopped and turned the bike off so I could get into the trunk to pull the code it wouldn’t store it. In my case it was my quickshifter.
BINGO! It threw a code C34. I will get to work on this and let you know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
493 Posts
BINGO! It threw a code C34. I will get to work on this and let you know. Thanks guys!
Code 34 is an issue with cylinder number three injector. Does your bike have a Power Commander installed? I see a lot of threads popping up where there's an issue created by the Power Commander that triggers injector codes, along with the flashing FI light under heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Code 34 is an issue with cylinder number three injector. Does your bike have a Power Commander installed? I see a lot of threads popping up where there's an issue created by the Power Commander that triggers injector codes, along with the flashing FI light under heavy acceleration.
Yeah the second owner installed a Hole shot shot efi super tune pro (i have not seen one of these till i bought the bike) he installed a k and n air filter took out a baffle from the air box and took out the O2 senser and used some kind off cap plug for the harness and plugged the exhaust where the O2 senser was.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah the second owner installed a Hole shot shot efi super tune pro (i have not seen one of these till i bought the bike) he installed a k and n air filter took out a baffle from the air box and took out the O2 senser and used some kind off cap plug for the harness and plugged the exhaust where the O2 senser was.
Got it. I'm not as familiar with the Holeshot tuner as I am the Power Commanders, but I believe the Holeshot is plugged into the injector harnesses just like a Power Commander. Since your code points to a problem with the #3 injector, I'd start by checking the simple stuff. Lift the tank and confirm all the injector connectors are properly seated. Do this with the OEM connectors, as well as the Holeshot connectors. It might not be a bad idea to unplug each one and inspect all the terminals in the connectors just to confirm that none are bent, broken, corroded, etc. If they all look good, reconnect them, making sure you get a positive lock out of each one. Then try running the bike again and see if the problem is corrected. If not, it could be an issue with the injector itself, especially considering the mileage on your bike. If you don't have a way to test the injectors, you can simply swap the #3 injector with one from another cylinder and then run the bike again to see if the code follows that injector and points to whatever cylinder you moved it to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it. I'm not as familiar with the Holeshot tuner as I am the Power Commanders, but I believe the Holeshot is plugged into the injector harnesses just like a Power Commander. Since your code points to a problem with the #3 injector, I'd start by checking the simple stuff. Lift the tank and confirm all the injector connectors are properly seated. Do this with the OEM connectors, as well as the Holeshot connectors. It might not be a bad idea to unplug each one and inspect all the terminals in the connectors just to confirm that none are bent, broken, corroded, etc. If they all look good, reconnect them, making sure you get a positive lock out of each one. Then try running the bike again and see if the problem is corrected. If not, it could be an issue with the injector itself, especially considering the mileage on your bike. If you don't have a way to test the injectors, you can simply swap the #3 injector with one from another cylinder and then run the bike again to see if the code follows that injector and points to whatever cylinder you moved it to.
Connections all seemed good. Started following the trouble tree in the manual and got to a step that confused me. Decided to remove the Holeshot tuner and retested. Not lights!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Connections all seemed good. Started following the trouble tree in the manual and got to a step that confused me. Decided to remove the Holeshot tuner and retested. Not lights!
Glad you figured out what was causing it. I would suggest contacting Dale Walker and see what he suggests. I would assume like the bike has some modifications and that's why the tuner was in place? If so, it's job is to dial in the fueling and correct any issues with ridability. Unless you'll be reversing whatever performance modifications were made, it's best to have the tuner in place. Or you could have the bike tuned or have the ECU flashed instead of running the tuner, but you really should do something to account for the changes made to the bike unless you want to put it back to stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you figured out what was causing it. I would suggest contacting Dale Walker and see what he suggests. I would assume like the bike has some modifications and that's why the tuner was in place? If so, it's job is to dial in the fueling and correct any issues with ridability. Unless you'll be reversing whatever performance modifications were made, it's best to have the tuner in place. Or you could have the bike tuned or have the ECU flashed instead of running the tuner, but you really should do something to account for the changes made to the bike unless you want to put it back to stock.
I will contact Dale. Only mods that i know of is K and N air filter and he took out a restrictive baffle inside the air box and O2 sensor is eliminated. Completely stock exhaust. This tuner runs to each injector and then ground. Nothing to the ECU!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts