GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I will contact Dale. Only mods that i know of is K and N air filter and he took out a restrictive baffle inside the air box and O2 sensor is eliminated. Completely stock exhaust. This tuner runs to each injector and then ground. Nothing to the ECU!
Yes, that's how it controls the fuel curve. No need to go through the ECU, as it's a piggy-back device. If it's only a K&N air filter and airbox mod, you can get away more easily without accounting for those changes, although it's still ideal to do so. The tuner also has other advantages, one being that it cures throttle snatch. Although, depending on what year the bike was produced, you may not have that problem. You might notice that without the tuner, the bike isn't as smooth and feels less powerful.

As for the oxygen sensor being eliminated, the bike should also have an O2 bypass installed. This keeps it from throwing a code without the sensor in place.

I'd be interested in hearing what Dale has to say about this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, that's how it controls the fuel curve. No need to go through the ECU, as it's a piggy-back device. If it's only a K&N air filter and airbox mod, you can get away more easily without accounting for those changes, although it's still ideal to do so. The tuner also has other advantages, one being that it cures throttle snatch. Although, depending on what year the bike was produced, you may not have that problem. You might notice that without the tuner, the bike isn't as smooth and feels less powerful.

As for the oxygen sensor being eliminated, the bike should also have an O2 bypass installed. This keeps it from throwing a code without the sensor in place.

I'd be interested in hearing what Dale has to say about this.
The bike does have the O2 bypass done. I will contact Dale. I have not ridden the bike without the tuner yet. The bike did rip pretty good before this all happened. Thanks for all the help. I will keep you posted.

·
Administrator
553 Posts
Having used Dale's EFI Pro Tuner, I have never had a problem. I have heard of others that have issues you describe, and mostly caused by a bad ground. If it was not grounded directly to the battery, but to the frame, that is a likely issue. Something to consider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Having used Dale's EFI Pro Tuner, I have never had a problem. I have heard of others that have issues you describe, and mostly caused by a bad ground. If it was not grounded directly to the battery, but to the frame, that is a likely issue. Something to consider.
This was grounded to the battery direct. All wiring looked good. Previous owner bought the tuner this year so pretty early failure. Looks like he has a two year warranty listed on his site. Hope he helps me out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update, just got off the phone with Dale from Holeshot and explained my problem to him and his response was "Your screwed". Tuner is no more than 6 months old. I am not the original owner nor do I have a receipt! He did mention he could sell me a new one. Moving forward I am going to go with a ECU flash. Thanks to everybody that helped me with this!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Update, just got off the phone with Dale from Holeshot and explained my problem to him and his response was "Your screwed". Tuner is no more than 6 months old. I am not the original owner nor do I have a receipt! He did mention he could sell me a new one. Moving forward I am going to go with a ECU flash. Thanks to everybody that helped me with this!
Dang, original owner or not, I'm surprised that was his response. If my product failed in half a year, I'd be sending out a replacement ASAP. I expected better service out of him, TBH. Now I feel bad for recommending you reach out to him. I'm glad I chose to go the ECU tuning route versus his system.

Sorry, OP. I'd look into having Dano's Performance flash your ECU or have the bike dyno tuned by a trustworthy tuner. Get away from the Holeshot/Power Commander piggy-back devices. More options going straight to the ECU, anyway.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts