GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally made some plates about 2 years ago to install a R1 rear shock, which transformed the ride of the bike. Doing it that way created some other problems that I excepted because I didn’t want to cut my battery tray. Well after riding my dorsoduro for a while and switching between them I could no longer deal with the issues. One was by raising the rear approximately 15 mm it made it turn quicker, which probably wouldn’t have been too much of a difference but with a 55 series rear tire and bigger rear sprocket, which shortens the wheelbase it was kinda twitchy. Another problem is the piggyback on the shock would hit the swing arm if I had the rear too soft, which I loved the ride. I trimmed my battery tray, made a small plate from some thin aluminum which you can buy at a home improvement store to fill the bottom of the tray and had to buy a small battery $30 on amazon. All the problems I had before are gone, I should have did it this way to begin with. I could have went all out and bent and cut everything at work but I wanted to see if it could be done with simple tools most guys have laying around. Dremel, 4” grinder and basic hand tools, took me about 3 hrs to do. I actually took some pictures if anyone is interested in giving it a go, I know a few have a shock laying around.

·
Registered
698 Posts
...and if you don't have one laying around and want one, I've got one for sale! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beeza62

Have had my R1 shock in for about 6 months now, have been over some of the roughest roads in Aus, I’ve had no problems whatsoever, has never touched the swing arm, and it has totally changed the ride, no more bouncing around like your on a pogo stick, hugs the corners. Will say if rip-off Paul had not come up with the idea of the shock I wouldn’t have thought of it myself, and I got my money back from PayPal, so for me it turned out win/win.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have had my R1 shock in for about 6 months now, have been over some of the roughest roads in Aus, I’ve had no problems whatsoever, has never touched the swing arm, and it has totally changed the ride, no more bouncing around like your on a pogo stick, hugs the corners. Will say if rip-off Paul had not come up with the idea of the shock I wouldn’t have thought of it myself, and I got my money back from PayPal, so for me it turned out win/win.
My piggyback unit was about 2 or 3 mm off of the under seat brace. I would only have problems with it making contact if I softened the suspension and hit a very abrupt bump. With it softened the bike rode like a Cadillac. R1 does transform the bike though.

·
Registered
698 Posts
So, by cutting the tray it bolts straight up without any other finagling? Different bolts or anything?

·
Registered
894 Posts
So you aren't running any adapter plates now?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, by cutting the tray it bolts straight up without any other finagling? Different bolts or anything?
Cut the plastic tray and part of the brace underneath it, then it bolts up. I made a plate to cover the hole, which I bent by hand then a small battery off of Amazon for $30, I think it’s for the Aprilia rsv.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Couple of questions based on your photographs and looking at my bike.

1. Did you also cut the subframe crossbar?
2. The front of the battery tray has a sensor attached (possibly TOS, I didn't research) and where was that relocated to?

·
Registered
698 Posts
...and if you don't have one laying around and want one, I've got one for sale! /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Reagenn….how much?
$110 shipped. That's what I have in it. I believe it's a new take off.
I'm out of town but can shoot you a pic when I get back if you're interested.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

2. The front of the battery tray has a sensor attached (possibly TOS, I didn't research) and where was that relocated to?
Crossbar was cut, sensor is in the same place. Tight getting it back on the top clip but it went, bottom clip was removed. It stays just fine with the top one the way it’s made.

·
Registered
117 Posts
$110 shipped. That's what I have in it. I believe it's a new take off.
I'm out of town but can shoot you a pic when I get back if you're interested.
Yes...do that, no hurry.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Pic of said sensor and brace

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
What's the deal with R1 shocks , are they better than our stock shock? I owned a few Yamaha's and I always changed the stock shock.

·
Registered
894 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts