GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Twag4, I was hesitant at first to cut it, simply because the bike was brand new. It’s way better to just cut the bracket, bolt the R1 shock, then go out and actually enjoy a good shock under the bike. I found the bike’s grip is much improved in the rear, I can’t remember the last time I saw the TC light flash since installing the R1. Before I could see it flashing constantly.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I too was hesitant, but what’s left of the bracket is more than sufficient to support a 1lb battery. Also, the Adhesive padding supplied with the battery made positioning it rearward of the shock reservoir very simple.

Twag4, I was hesitant at first to cut it, simply because the bike was brand new. It’s way better to just cut the bracket, bolt the R1 shock, then go out and actually enjoy a good shock under the bike. I found the bike’s grip is much improved in the rear, I can’t remember the last time I saw the TC light flash since installing the R1. Before I could see it flashing constantly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I have a standard battery, smaller than stock, and I haven’t had an issues with it either. Lithium is the way to go for sure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is a massive improvement! Plus the fun of losing about 7 pounds in battery weight. For my $240 invested, I’d say this is exceptional value. It is so much more comfortable, plush, better handling, and confidence inspiring! I cannot imagine $800-1000 in a really good three way shock being a better value. This one has high and low speed compression, rebound, and spring preload, as well as height adjustable. It is really pretty good now! I have a very well setup track only bike, and a host of other bikes as well, 10 in all. I know what great suspension and brakes feel like. This bike with stainless brake lines and HH pads, and this rear shock, is monumentally improved! I have also got the holeshot tune, arrow header, holeshot slip on, TRE, and a few aesthetic mods, and I believe I’m done with Modding this bike. I may put it on track someday, but it’ll be with whatever limitations I currently have. I’m very happy with this bike. I cannot think of any other mods I want to do to it.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
212 Posts
Sorry, I never catch the post that explains which year R1 shock works best. If you do not mind☺

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry, I never catch the post that explains which year R1 shock works best. If you do not mind☺
I got a 2015 model that was taken directly off a new bike that was upgraded for track use. It looked brand new, and had completely undamaged stickers on it. $90 shipped maybe 2 years ago. It sat in my garage unused for well over a year before I bit the bullet and bought a small batte4yand put the shock in. Worth it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
bumping this thread again.

I may get my hands on a re-valved r1 shock with Ohlins spring and give it a shot. Regarding the battery size, what are the actual width dimensions? I checked my battery and it has already been replaced with a lithium battery, which looks to be smaller than stock since there is a bit of room in the battery tray. I measured it and it is 3.35 inches, would that be enough clearance? The anti-gravity 8 cell battery that was recommended by a user is 2.25 inches in width.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I’ll check the size of my battery when I get home but imagine a lithium battery will easily fit. I have a standard battery for an Aprilia rsv 2009 model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ll check the size of my battery when I get home but imagine a lithium battery will easily fit. I have a standard battery for an Aprilia rsv 2009 model.
Great, I'd appreciate it! Yeah I looked up the dimensions of the Aprilia battery your using and it seems to be the same dimensions as my current so I should be in the clear

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I’m sorry, I actually forgot to measure when I got home, life gets in the way sometimes. There’s a couple of pictures of the battery in the bike with the strap still being used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m sorry, I actually forgot to measure when I got home, life gets in the way sometimes. There’s a couple of pictures of the battery in the bike with the strap still being used.
No worries man, had no real issues getting everything to clear. I was a little concerned since there was only a few mm of clearance so I decided to cut out the bump in the front portion of the battery tray. That allowed me to move the battery up about 1/4 inch, with some foam padding on the left side corner of the tray and 3m tape at the bottom of the battery to hold it in place. Ample clearance after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took the bike out to the canyons this morning with the R1 shock and I gotta say, it is much better. I still have to figure out a decent setup to get it to work with the bike, but at least there is no more pogo rear end that always wants to buck you out of the seat. Driving out the corner seems to be much more stable as well. I feel like I can get on the throttle much sooner and harder without the rear end fighting to hold grip. Something that was very apparent last weekend at the track.

As for shock length, I set it about 5-6mm shorter because if you try to set it at the same length, there are only a few threads holding the adjustment/connecting rod. Just didn't feel comfortable with it being like that. This made the bike a bit slower to turn in and transition from side to side, very slightly though. Which could probably be fixed with some setup changes.

Overall pleased with this upgrade. For $140, can't complain. Excited for the next track day to really test it out!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Are you running a 55 rear tire? I honestly couldn’t tell much difference after installing the 55 rear as far as turn in goes. 50 series, yes.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts