GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone what's going on? was hoping if anyone here could help me out with this. As you know i'm just a few months from getting this bike on my birthday and wanted to get the suspension sorted. Racetech has shock's and spring's that fit the 09-15 GSX-R1000, does anybody know if those would work on the GSX-S1000. I plan on getting the suspension tuned and also wanted to upgrade the equipment but don't want to spend a fortune on it either since i would be on a budget, thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
09-current GSX-R 1000 has BPF front forks which are not the same or compatible to the GSX front forks. Rear shock is totally different as well, GSXR unit is much better than the GSX rear shock. Rear GSX shock is pretty much junk I wouldn't spend a nickel on it even if one could. Unfortunately not much aftermarket offerings out there for the GSX rear shock. Wish there were I would probably buy one for my bike. The GSX front forks are fairly old school simple and not that bad stock for a 125-160lb rider. I am 135lbs and the forks work okay for me until pushed hard then the budget quality of them comes out. The forks are severely over compressed as are most Japanese motorcycles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why not try calling racetech and get info from the horses mouth? If they can help you, they will. Nitron makes a rear shock for the gsxs. If your not going to be tracking the bike regularly, then you don't really need to upgrade the front, unless your hefty. I took the gsxs to the track along with my gen 5 zx10r recently. I couldn't hold the same pace on the gsxs as I could on the zx10. But I was surprised at how well the stock form (other than tires) gsxs performed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about getting the suspension tuned, is that still something i should consider or no? Right now i'm at 220 lbs in my undies and probably at 230+ with gear on, i plan on losing another 20 lbs hopefully, i've already lost 30 lbs. Would 20 lbs make much of a difference when it comes to suspension. Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already called Race Tech and they said they don't have any products for the GSXS1K as far as suspension is concerned

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won't be tracking the bike, just spirited riding, my riding would mainly consist of about 50% city, 30% twisties and 20% freeway/highway

·
Registered
152 Posts
From what I have read, and can tell you from my experience on my bike is that the rear spring it pretty stiff and has a lot of damping. I weigh 187-190lbs, and I have spring preload on its softest setting......and I wish it could go even softer. At 230lbs, the rear might actually be just fine for you, but you will need to ride, adjust, ride, adjust a bit to dial it in. That said, If I could replace only one part on the entire bike it would be the rear shock for sure. It just doesn't have that supple, but controlled feeling.

The forks aren't too bad spring wise, and the rebound damping is easy enough to get set correctly. My only real gripe is that the compression damping is whacky. You either end up with some high speed harshness, or low speed "wallowing"......very hard to get both into the "acceptable" range. I have it adjusted pretty well now, and my track days are over now, so I am leaving forks alone for now. When they need to be serviced, I will probably to with a slightly lighter oil or a valve kit for them and call it a day. :)

Reactions: Rhyno54

·
Registered
49 Posts
I already called Race Tech and they said they don't have any products for the GSXS1K as far as suspension is concerned

Thats not good service, i guess it depends on who you get i suppose... I emailed and got this:

Thank you for inquiring! Your description of the GXS forks is typical of this style of motorcycle. We do have fork options though they are not yet listed in the online applications:

· FMGV S2040 Gold Valve Compression Kit $169.99/Kit
· FRGV S02 Gold Valve Rebound Kit, Standard $169.99/Kit – Or >
· FRGV SR2001 Gold Valve Rebound Kit, HP* $179.99/Kit – High Performance Kit with Mid-Valve, recommended for this app
· USF05 Synthetic Fork Fluid $ 29.99/quart – QTY 2 needed
· FRSP S3732 Fork Spring Kit $129.99-134.99/kit Spring Rates .85kg thru 1.2kg Offered

The stock fork spring is dual rate with .82kg starting rate & .89kg finishing rate. Our .95kg or 1.0kg straight rate spring should be a good 200lbs rider choice however I would need rider weight, type of use & preferred feel to be more specific. As this model is not yet posted in our system you will need to contact me for setup specs after making purchase.

You can place your order with Christie or contact me for more assistance with spring selection & further technical questions. Or if you are looking to turn key service simply send the forks into RT service where we can handle all the installation & setup $125 Labor/set of forks + parts as needed, service form attached. Forks are returned fully serviced, assembled & ready for install.
Please contact our service department for more details on this option.

Thank you for choosing Race Tech!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hi,
With reference to the reply email from RaceTech that greenturbobob received and Rhyn's phone call, I scanned by co incidence RaceTech's web page for GSXS1K about 3 days ago to see if they had any info by now as this bike has been around several years, and there was no listing.
Just checked a moment ago,and nothing listed.
So if the slack dogs that run Racetech can't update the web page bike parts finder, they deserve to go broke.

The list of product for the GSXS1000 that greenturbobob received would not take long to enter online, but I won't be holding my breath that they only developed it at the very same moment Bobs email was sent out.
How many people are asking for parts for the 1988 Suzuki Gamma 500 2 stroke that's listed still as of today? ;)

Rob.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm 215lbs w/out gear and I think the stock suspension is adequate. At times I think I might want to upgrade the shock but it's fine...especially for the riding you described.

I used Racetech to upgrade my FZ-09 as that was horrible. But I am happy with the Suzuki

·
Registered
379 Posts
Race Tech has the parts, you just need to call or email. I brought my bike there and they were able to rebuild everything in a half day - gold valves, springs, and whatever else they need for the install.

I think the reason it's not on their site yet is because I was only the second person to request work for this bike, and the first was a non-F and had mailed in the suspension parts. So they may not have the confidence yet to post part numbers.

I actually went back yesterday and got stiffer springs in the front (no cost) - it felt amazing but I was bottoming out on the ****ty LA roads we have after all the rain.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I actually went back yesterday and got stiffer springs in the front (no cost) - it felt amazing but I was bottoming out on the ****ty LA roads we have after all the rain.
What spring rates?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hate to say it, but I don't know what the spring rates are. I'll send them an email. I'm sure you can call and ask though - I called before I had my work done and they said they had someone send in a GSX-S suspension and told me what the numbers were. I just don't remember. The fork springs are pretty light but they said it's based on the way the bike is balanced. Notice when you're facing down (standing still) hill how much the springs compress, and when you sit on the bike almost all the movement is in the rear shock (at least if you weigh somewhere close to 180lbs) - that is/was my experience.

I had everything rebuilt with gold valves and new springs. The shock still only has 'rebound' adjustment, but adjusting the rebound also affects the slow speed damping somewhat. It feels like I have a softer shock spring, and softer low speed damping, with a better progressive feeling to the high speed damping over the stock shock. The front is too different for me to give that clear of an explanation. It's just friggin' butter over everything the road throws at it.

We have concrete highways out here - so there are breaks in the surface ever few feet. With the stock shock it felt like I was riding a jack hammer and my teeth were chattering. With the Race Tech suspension, I notice the bumps but feel like I could ride on them all day if I had to. The best part of the whole thing though is the feeling of control and traction in any situation.

I've had the rework for 24 hours now and haven't bottomed the front yet. They left a zip tie on there for me to check (there is 11mm of chrome showing when the fork is bottomed out). I rode the bike as hard as I've ever ridden in on my test ride and it felt pretty good. That includes a little air of a set of railroad tracks; high speed falling/fading turns, and some choppy roads with tighter turns.

Also last week I had the bike up to 143mph (on the speedo) and the ride was incredibly smooth and planted. The only scary part was slowing down to 60mph - I felt like I was crawling and almost wanted to put my foot down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How much did u pay for the fork and shock rebuild Joe? I'm thinking about getting the Nitron R1 shock and rebuild the fork.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts