GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
All my bikes have had radiators since about the mid 80s. I've never punctured one yet. Doesn't mean it can't happen. I've had car windscreens put through by stones. I think it's one of those accessories which depends on the individual and how secure they want to feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
Makes sense, just not sure how "at risk" it is on our bikes of being damaged.
Prevention is better than cure as the saying goes. I've not lost a rad in a few years now but I have lost an oil cooler on the bandit thanks to a small stone that embedded itself into the core and covered me in oil and leaving me with a large repair bill. I bought one from R&G for 60 odd quid and it fits and looks really nice.
Just had a quick look, can't find one for our model but a GSX-R rad is £529 oem or £462 for GSX-S750

·
Registered
285 Posts
How necessary is it to have one of these on our bikes?
In Australia it is essential if you do any touring, lots of gravel and unsealed sections, the front mudguard is very short on our bikes, putting a hole in a radiator in the middle of no where would be a pretty pricey pick up . Plus in town the tradesmen like to leave a trail of screws and rivets behind them , not to mention wheelbarrows and ladders. Am having one fitted when the dealer replaces my ECU in a week or two, as Rad guard have one available now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
if youre not sure you need it... after owning your bike a while inspect your radiator... if you see any hits to it then you really need it. Some people ride on gravel and rocks get thrown right into the radiator... me... i dont need it... you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think, you need it. When I took my bike for the first 1000km service the Technician already showed me there were 3 small stones lodged in the radiator what made quite a bit of damage to the fins. That was only after a few rides and in the mountains, and no touring. Last thing you want to get is a leaking radiator cause of a bigger stone and having to replace a radiator. Radiators guards are however overpriced I think. Made my own, looks fine and does the job. 2 to 3 hrs labour to make and install and between $10 to $15 in material VS about $125 for an aftermarket product.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts