GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wonder how much more the fans have to fire up when you fit these as you are effectively halving the surface area of the cooling fins.
Nah.... bike works exactly the same. No difference.
I had two small holes in my rad due to following my mates at high speed on the Shap road.
Drained the rad and patched the holes with epoxy resin. Worked brilliantly. Banged a r+g rad guard on as soon as.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Australia it is essential if you do any touring, lots of gravel and unsealed sections, the front mudguard is very short on our bikes, putting a hole in a radiator in the middle of no where would be a pretty pricey pick up . Plus in town the tradesmen like to leave a trail of screws and rivets behind them , not to mention wheelbarrows and ladders. Am having one fitted when the dealer replaces my ECU in a week or two, as Rad guard have one available now.
R&G makes 3 different ones for the gsxs....the titanium one looks the best
as the rad is already aluminum in colour.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
R&G makes 3 different ones for the gsxs....the titanium one looks the best
as the rad is already aluminum in colour.
Reviving an old thread here, but I've always liked the idea of a radiator guard, even if it's for my own piece of mind. I kinda like the looks of the R&G model and was wondering if anyone had installed an R&G guard on an "F" model. Do the plastics need to be removed? How hard was the install?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Reviving an old thread here, but I've always liked the idea of a radiator guard, even if it's for my own piece of mind. I kinda like the looks of the R&G model and was wondering if anyone had installed an R&G guard on an "F" model. Do the plastics need to be removed? How hard was the install?
I have installed a Titanium R&G radiator guard (a high quality product) on the naked model.
In my case, the plastics did not need to be removed.
A 15 minutes job (including the beer). ;)

Installing tip: DO NOT tight too much those two top bolts, otherwise the plastic ears of the fairings can be broken.

·
Registered
586 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF>
I had two small holes in my rad due to following my mates at high speed on the Shap road. Drained the rad and patched the holes with epoxy resin. Worked brilliantly. <SNIPPED STUFF>
I've never 'holed' a radiator on a bike (knock on wood), but the one time I saw a friend get a hole in his radiator was just as MADMARTIN described: It was a group ride where the following bike got a rock from the rear tire of the lead bike right into radiator and that was that. End of his ride for the day followed by a costly repair bill.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This looks good

I've always put an aluminium mesh in my race bikes but never had any kind of radiator protection on my road bikes. This time I decided to put a mesh on a road bike too. Bought from a local hardware store for few euros.
This is the route I was thinking of going, too. Not elaborate or expensive but gets the job done and doesn't look 'off' at all. Thanks for posting the pic!

·
Registered
2016 f
393 Posts
Hi, yup i have one just like that, i had to drill holes to mount it on the top rad strap mts , in nz the roads are mostly tarsealed stone chip it very common for radiators to be damaged on bikes, my sv650 rad was punctured, and my gsxs one also, on the gsxs i think the very short front mudgaurd is the enabler, but combined with a screen, a fender extension is peace of mind

21 - 37 of 37 Posts