GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at least I know what is wrong now. I noticed the smell coolant on my last few rides. Surge tank was full and radiator was missing coolant. Replaced the radiator cap, refilled and bled the system. Everything looked good last night after a ride. This morning there was coolant on the floor but at least it showed where the problem is. I have a feeling this may be related to changing coolant to Engine Ice recently. If you make the change do it right and removed the radiator to dump all old coolant, I did not do that. Just flushed system with distilled water and drained and filled/ Not sure if that is the cause of a failed radiator, but Engine Ice makes it point to tell you to get all the old coolant out so they don't mix.

Time for a new radiator :poop:

· Registered
75 Posts
I think Eng Ice recommends a thorough removal of old coolant (if the old coolant is not Engine Ice) because of what's in it. I think their active ingredient is propylene glycol and antifreeze uses ethylene glycol. Based upon my experience, I don't see how a possible incomplete emptying of the cooling system and addition of Engine Ice's product would cause a leak. Where specifically is the coolant coming from? A hose? a metal joint? Perhaps a projectile from the ride struck the radiator and damaged it. Double check that. If the radiator is damaged, a repair might be possible. I have done it.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its coming from the center of the cooling area where all the little fins are. Whats crazy is I have a Evotech radiator guard since its new. I flushed the system until it was just distilled water coming out before final drain and putting the Engine Ice in. Could a bad cap cause an over pressure condition that could cause a leak? This is just after removing the radiator guard. Apparently quite a bit of crap still gets through it. Last week I get a nail in my rear tire that only has 600 miles on it. Now a hole in my radiator. The motorcycle God's have a sh!t list and I appear to be at the top this month.

Automotive lighting Wood Chair Grille Automotive exterior

· Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I've heard mixed stories about radiator guards. Are they effective? To some degree, they probably are but air still needs to flow through; that's how cooling of the coolant occurs. If air is flowing through the guard then debris is flowing through as well. It makes sense that the guard would protect the radiator from larger debris.
Back to your issue though. Maybe try pulling the necessary bodywork off and run the bike at idle. Watch it as the engine runs and pressure is built in the system. You should be able to see where its coming out. Wipe off any residual coolant that might be on the surfaces before you do. Its about the same as if you were trying to locate the source of an oil leak. Make sure that you have good lighting. You typed that you spotted coolant at the center of the radiator but this might be where the leaked coolant is pooling which might throw you off. Pressure testing can be done as well and a local shop should be able to assist if you don't want to mess with that.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its coming from the center. Looks like something did impact the rad through one of the holes in the guard.I already ordered a new radiator from Ebay. $139 coming from Cali. 1 year warranty. My bike should be back in action by the weekend I hope. Its prime riding season here in the Carolina's now.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New radiator. Filled with Engine Ice and bled system. So far so good. Super easy to replace the radiator on our bikes once you get the body panels off. The one I bought is of course made in China but is a pretty faithful reproduction of the original and 1/4 the price of the Suzuki part. I did plug the tire and it has held proper pressure for two weeks now.

Attachments

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update. This radiator works great for $140. Only issue is the tabs for the bodywork are not angled slightly upward like the OEM radiator. I got the bodywork on but it took some wiggling and bending the tabs a bit. Next time I take the bodywork off I will remove the rubber sleeves from the radiator tabs. I think without them the panels would have gone on easier. Fit and finish are pretty good and it looks like the side tanks hold a little more coolant than OEM. Came out of the box with no damaged fins.

Cooling system is fixed and converted to Engine Ice. (y)

· Registered
75 Posts
Glad to see that its working out. Its unfortunate; I'm not a fan of the CCP but this is how it goes.
I suspect that those rubber caps were intended to reduce vibration on the abs plastic and/or help facilitate a more solid hold on the radiator. If you end up putting them back on, considering putting some oil on the rubber first. When you lube your rubbers, things go on TONS smoother.

· Registered
13 Posts
I don’t think you did anything wrong.

On my bike, exact same as yours, I did not do a full flush. I simply drained as much as I could and filled with Engine Ice. Not a single issue after some 5000miles.

If I were to do a flush, I would personally get an extra bottle of engine ice and do it with that rather than water. As to not dilute cooling properties.

I have an R&G radiator guard. It protects very well and is a perfect fit. I recommend it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts