GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres one that will not trouble you Aussies! I have rode my bike (faired model) to work twice now in the rain, I go around several round-a-bouts just prior to turning into the works covered car park, so I bank the bike over left and right. I pull up dismount the bike and push it backwards into a parking bay. At the point where I have dismounted to the point where I rest it on the side there is a trail of water on the floor, once tilted on the side stand water pours from the fairing and a cloud of steam rises up where water has poured onto the hot exhaust.
There is quite a considerable amount of water I don't just mean run off. I don't know where the water collects or why it isn't tipped out when I negotiate the round - a -bouts. I will try and attach a couple of photos and a video that I took.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I will try next time I arrive in the rain to locate where the water is collecting and I will be informing the dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tends to gather in the fins of the radiator and tip itself out when you lean it over on the stand

·
Registered
237 Posts
Water

I too have experienced this, plus when stop at traffic lights its like having a sauna! Never know this before but service manager at dealers has similar problems with her CBR 600.
Also even though have lubed my chain as I always have I noticed it was rusty yesterday ! Gave it a good coating today :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup got caught in a deluge a few weeks ago and got home and even after getting straight back in the garage there was hot water pissing out for ages. Thought I had a coolant leak but was just the accumulated rainwater. And this was a naked one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this could cause issues in the future, steam will penetrate into wiring connectors and clock etc and could cause corrosion in the future. Im definitely going to mention it to the dealers.
Im not to sure if it collects within the radiator, there seems to be too much water.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fenda extends help as not do much water gets chucked at the rad. Don't know if anybody is doing them at the moment though.
The rad fins can hold a shed load of water

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I got a fender extender (£21.75) and a hugger extender (£31.78) from Pyramid Plastics

·
Registered
39 Posts
A buddy has an SFV650 that we washed for the first time in over a year, last weekend. Took the air hose and microfiber towels to it and got it mostly dry, then I made the mistake of pointing the nozzle at the rad. It's like we had to start all over again. Lots of surface area in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure where its collecting, its when it runs onto the hot exhaust and creates steam that worries me.
I might give it a wash tomorrow (its first) and give the rad a good ole spraying and see.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I got a fender extender (£21.75) and a hugger extender (£31.78) from Pyramid Plastics
Thanks for the tip! Fender extender now ordered from the UK. I pick the bike up tomorrow and have a nice 180 km trip home to dial into it. Unfortunately, it's the start of a holiday weekend so there will be lots of crazies on the road :|

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good luck fitting the extender, I couldn't wait for a proper one so I made something up. The problem here is when they repair the road they just grade a track through the bush to bypass the repair section of the road, of course this sprays a lot of crap up on the rad & the exhausts. Also I always seem to arrive at the diversion just after the water cart has damped the dust down, which makes a real mess of every thing. Any way I couldn't seem to remove the mud guard without taking out the front wheel, & even then with the wheel out it was a bit of a mission. At least the front was easy to remove, wait till you try the rear. I think the brake hose could be about 40mm longer as it all needs to be un clipped to give the maximum length to remove the brake calliper. The torque arm for the calliper is an L shape in cross section, so unlike the plain square section arms where you had some leeway horizontally with the alignment when refitting the wheel, the L shape must be correctly positioned in the vertical plane also, which does not make things easy. I filed a lead on the torque arm & the locator on the inside of the swing arm which helped when pivoting the calliper down & in. When I change to braided lines the rear will be definitely longer. I wonder how much is saved with a 40mm shorter brake line & a foolishly short front mud guard?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yep, I've had experience of your roadworks :) . We had a wonderful holiday travelling between Albany and Broome 3 years ago and stayed in the Swan Valley whilst we were in the Perth area, travelling to York and other nearby towns. Alas by car, not bike.

Thanks for all the info - why do the designers make it so bloody complicated? However, forewarned is forearmed!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Has anyone had trouble with their rear indicators filling up with condensation or water when out riding in the rain?
I've only had the bike two days and realised both my indicators lenses were wet on the inside when putting the bike away last night.
I removed the lenses and dried them off this morning and couldn't find any sign of a gasket or seal to stop the wet from getting in.
Is this normal?:eek:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've just fitted the Pyramid front guard extender and have attached some photos for anyone else thinking of fitting this particular model. Didn't want to drill the guard, so bought the version which uses aviation industry quality adhesive tabs. The kit has everything you need and the instructions are straightforward.

The only thing I thought didn't work well was the 2 small clips they supplied to pressure clamp the edges of the extender to the guard for a few hours. They kept springing off so I just used mini G clamps with anti-scratch packers.

The only other thing I did was run a small bead of silicone along the edge of the mating faces on the inside of the guard to prevent rain and road crap from wicking down between the 2 surfaces over time.

Will reassemble tomorrow. Just hoping that the extender doesn't appreciably stiffen the guard as I was able to remove guard ok with a bit of gentle squeezing and angling :|

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Has anyone had trouble with their rear indicators filling up with condensation or water when out riding in the rain?
I've only had the bike two days and realised both my indicators lenses were wet on the inside when putting the bike away last night.
I removed the lenses and dried them off this morning and couldn't find any sign of a gasket or seal to stop the wet from getting in.
Is this normal?:eek:
ive had this on all of my bikes. Ive nt checked this one but normally theres like a pin hole at the bottom.

never really been to bothered but maybe stick your hazards on for a few minutes to see if the small amount of heat disperses the condensation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts