GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if switching to alittle more narrower rear tire will help the bike cornering? I have the Stock Dunlops on it now and thinking of going with the Michelins Power 5's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wondering if switching to alittle more narrower rear tire will help the bike cornering? I have the Stock Dunlops on it now and thinking of going with the Michelins Power 5's.
Stock is 190/50 and if you are planning on 190/55, it will make it a tad bit taller, not narrower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh thanks for clarifying. Wondering if a slightly narrower tire be better to have on this bike. ? I believe my GSXR1100 has 180/55.?

·
Registered
217 Posts
yep

pirelli Angel gt2 190/55 , noticed it was more nimble in the turn - won't use a 50 on this bike again

·
Registered
291 Posts
A narrower tire on a wider rim will flatten out and actually turn in worse. The 190/55 on the same rim will have a more curved profile, resulting in better turn in.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
197 Posts
On ole 05 sv1000s I ran a Dunlop 180/60 & loved it. On a 5.5
Ran both 199/50 & 190/55 on a 6 inch busa wheel that swapped right over, & the 55 was comparable to the 180/60 - Better profile for turns. Depends on manufacturer also. They all use their own profiles.

lots of choices out there

·
Registered
986 Posts
I can't prove it, but what I've read from some others the Michelin seems to have a sharper profile in the 50 than the stock Dunlop. I went with a 55 Pilot Road and turn-in is much better, but in steeper leans, especially at slower speeds, it feels like the bike gets a bit "droppy", like it wants to fall over. (I'm not a track guy or a knee dragger but do enjoy spirited riding in the twisties.) When I do it over again, I'll probably go back to a 50, but a Michelin Road 5 or equivalent. YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts