GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to replacing my rear axle nut. The user manual describes the specd rear axle nut to be replaced each time it is removed (which is like telling someone to replace the crush washer for each oil change). I never liked that the rear axle nut was grinding into the rear axle (removing metal) so I replaced it with a different Suzuki rear axle nut (Part 09141-25001 used on a number of pre-2008 bikes like my 2003 SV1000).
Milling Wood Machine tool Jig grinder Saw

The new nut uses a cotter pin for security so I also drilled holes through the axle. Thankfully a friend had a nice drill press and offered to help.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part

Installed, torqued and clipped using the spring clip (from KurveyGirl dot com). Added safety wire so the clip won't go missing.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Gear

· Registered
808 Posts
I finally got around to replacing my rear axle nut. The user manual describes the specd rear axle nut to be replaced each time it is removed (which is like telling someone to replace the crush washer for each oil change). I never liked that the rear axle nut was grinding into the rear axle (removing metal) so I replaced it with a different Suzuki rear axle nut (Part 09141-25001 used on a number of pre-2008 bikes like my 2003 SV1000).
View attachment 47983
The new nut uses a cotter pin for security so I also drilled holes through the axle. Thankfully a friend had a nice drill press and offered to help.
View attachment 47984

Installed, torqued and clipped using the spring clip (from KurveyGirl dot com). Added safety wire so the clip won't go missing.

View attachment 47987
Nice and clean mod and work. I like it!

· Registered
668 Posts
After having to buy a new axle from the oem nut galling it, I bought a Ti nut off of Ebay. There is really no need at all for the castle nut or pin folks. There are ZERO rotational forces affecting the axle and nut if the axle is installed correctly. Just torque it properly and you are good.

· Registered
155 Posts
Simple vibration can do strange things with fasteners, even with lockwashers and fancier retension methods. Even jam-nuts aren't foolproof- cotter pins or similar, OTOH, are (modulo getting the fastener suitably tight and so on)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts