GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking to upgrade the rear shock and respiring for my weight. Issue is I am right on the line between two spring levels for my weight. Is it better to be on the highside of the spring rating or at the bottom of the spring rating? What is the pros and cons of being on the high end or low end of the spring level?
2020 GSX-S1000F

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
106 Posts
I would go for a little too stiff. I would think you could adjust to suit you, and once you get more miles on the spring you could adjust again to suit. Too soft, and it stays too soft. (My 2 cents worth)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’d be careful what spring you get. Here’s what Racetech say a 190 lb rider should use on the gsx-s. Stock is 9.1 kg/mm and they recommend 8.88 kg/mm.

I weigh 190 lbs and got an Ohlins with a spring with 9.7 kg/mm. spring. I’m still playing with it to get the correct sag, but it made a big difference compared to the stock spring.

Dont know why, but of all the bikes I’ve owned, the majority being sport bikes, I’ve found this is the hardest to set the suspension to a setting I like. Every time I rode it the suspension, before getting the Ohlins, seemed to behave differently.

Good luck. Get the suspension to a setting you like and then leave it alone.
Computer Personal computer Font Gadget Operating system

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm right on the edge like you, and here's a thread about my spring rate dilemma. There's a lot more to a shock than spring rate. ;)
After installing the new shock, the difference was immediatly noticable and rides fantastic. Same spring rate, but different feel entirely, and if I need to take extra gear or a passenger it should handle it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm right on the edge like you, and here's a thread about my spring rate dilemma. There's a lot more to a shock than spring rate. ;)
After installing the new shock, the difference was immediatly noticable and rides fantastic. Same spring rate, but different feel entirely, and if I need to take extra gear or a passenger it should handle it.
Agreed. Every adjustment makes for an improvement on my stock bike. Of course dialing it in would be simple, if it wasn’t for the fact I have to let the bike cool down before turning the rebound adjuster, as the cats hot from a ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I’m looking to upgrade the rear shock and respiring for my weight. Issue is I am right on the line between two spring levels for my weight. Is it better to be on the highside of the spring rating or at the bottom of the spring rating? What is the pros and cons of being on the high end or low end of the spring level?
2020 GSX-S1000F
look up or contact dave moss tuning.. youtube videos are 2clicksout

1 - 7 of 7 Posts