GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the rear shock has no compression adjustment, I find that a bit odd... Anyone of you lucky lads who have the bike miss having this adjustment...:confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rear shock only has preload and rebound adjustment. I'm holding off on adjusting mine until I'm out of the break in period...however, I'm not really concerned about it. The suspension feels pretty good to me so far, though, I do need to give it a good test once it settles in a bit more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I see the rear shock has no compression adjustment, I find that a bit odd... Anyone of you lucky lads who have the bike miss having this adjustment...:confused:
The rear is fine if the road is smooth, but push it hard down a bumpy road & the rear just bangs off the bumps, I will try backing off the preload when I`ve got a few more mile on it. But that`s not really the answer as it will affect the pitch of the bike, would have to drop the forks to compensate. So in answer to your question, yes I do miss not having compression as I`ve just come off an RSV with ohlins suspension which used to just glide over all the bumps that are now bouncing me out the seat.I think I will put a better shock in it, no point having lots of power if you cant keep the tyres on the road & yourself in the seat. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found the rear to be quite hard so I have backed off the pre load to zero, next I'll fiddle with the rebound, but I think the answer is a good shocky. I am 65 kgs so i reduced the front preload to zero also which seems close as the zip tie on the fork leg indicates 30mm left before bottoming out. Also reduced compression to only 2 clicks in & backed off the rebound 2 clicks. Should be a good bike with a few tweaks. Go well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear is fine if the road is smooth, but push it hard down a bumpy road & the rear just bangs off the bumps, I will try backing off the preload when I`ve got a few more mile on it. But that`s not really the answer as it will affect the pitch of the bike, would have to drop the forks to compensate. So in answer to your question, yes I do miss not having compression as I`ve just come off an RSV with ohlins suspension which used to just glide over all the bumps that are now bouncing me out the seat.I think I will put a better shock in it, no point having lots of power if you cant keep the tyres on the road & yourself in the seat. :)
Shouldn't have to bugger about like this on a £10K bike... why didn't Suzuki put a proper shock on like the one on the GSXR1000 for instance, only talking pence in the cost... starting to have second thoughts about this bike...:(

·
Registered
190 Posts
I too am finding the juddering over the bumps is getting on my nerves. It is telling that the Yoshi spec machine has ohlins fork cartridges and rear shock.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Its just like Kawasaki did with the ninja 1000. Actually, the shocks on both of these bikes look identical.

Its a 10,000 bike vs 13,899 (American pricing) . What it means to it, and the ninja is every high dollar part was examined and a lower cost alternative put in its place.

In reality, this is a great thing they did for us. Instead of spending money on a shock 75% of the peopel wont notice anyway, they save money and let us buy an aftermarket shock instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its just like Kawasaki did with the ninja 1000. Actually, the shocks on both of these bikes look identical.

Its a 10,000 bike vs 13,899 (American pricing) . What it means to it, and the ninja is every high dollar part was examined and a lower cost alternative put in its place.

In reality, this is a great thing they did for us. Instead of spending money on a shock 75% of the peopel wont notice anyway, they save money and let us buy an aftermarket shock instead.
Exactly :D, you can even find a used shock (penske, jri, ohlins, etc.) that's the same length and use it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The stock rear spring s too stiff for solo work. I changed mine on my sv1000 for one that was 2/3 the spring rate of the original. A lot more pre-set and the bike now glides over bumps whilst giving the damper an fighting chance to deal with the spring energy. Was this wrong? I intend doing the same to my GSX.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You can get a Penske for under 1000. In ways I agree. The factory could have done it for way less.

Its not about riding ability as to why youd want good suspension. Even a brand new beginner will notice, and appreciate, the difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go and buy an S1000R then, no one's stopping you mate.
Might just have to, appreciate your advice.

By the time you spend the dollars sorting out the throttle issues (power commander, remap etc), revalve the front end, install stiffer rear spring and a decent shock. I'd also add a QS and a steering damper as well, you are getting real close to the purchase price of an S1R.
But you will still be way short of the standard inclusions of the Beemer as delivered in Oz:
Electronic suspension DDC
Slipper clutch
Heated grips
Cruise control
Led indicators
Quick shifter
Auto cancelling indicators

Not trying to be a hater, just think Suzuki could have done better which I would gladly pay a bit more for if it was made available as standard features or factory options.:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Might just have to, appreciate your advice.

By the time you spend the dollars sorting out the throttle issues (power commander, remap etc), revalve the front end, install stiffer rear spring and a decent shock. I'd also add a QS and a steering damper as well, you are getting real close to the purchase price of an S1R.
But you will still be way short of the standard inclusions of the Beemer as delivered in Oz:
Electronic suspension DDC
Slipper clutch
Heated grips
Cruise control
Led indicators
Quick shifter
Auto cancelling indicators

Not trying to be a hater, just think Suzuki could have done better which I would gladly pay a bit more for if it was made available as standard features or factory options.:)
So your only complaint is Suzuki doesn't have 4000 AUD of factory extras you can buy on top of the standard road price?

·
Registered
95 Posts
So your only complaint is Suzuki doesn't have 4000 AUD of factory extras you can buy on top of the standard road price?
You need to re-read my comment in its entirety to understand where I'm coming from perhaps?
Unfortunately 4000AUD would barely cover the power commander, remap, suspension upgrade, QS and damper.
And yes I would rather have factory options if available any day.
Euro bikes generally have available better packages than the Jap manufacturers.
Is it too much to ask them to lift their game?:)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need to re-read my comment in its entirety to understand where I'm coming from perhaps?
Unfortunately 4000AUD would barely cover the power commander, remap, suspension upgrade, QS and damper.
And yes I would rather have factory options if available any day.
Euro bikes generally have available better packages than the Jap manufacturers.
Is it too much to ask them to lift their game?:)
Yes my point exactly, This bike is looking more and more like a half finished budget bike but not budget bike money ... Don't get me wrong it's a brilliant bike but IMHO not £9.500 brilliant..!!...:|

·
Registered
451 Posts
Lets use Australian pricing. The Aprilia tuono rr factory sells for 26k. It is finished, as is , except for exhaust and suspension valving. So, we'll say 500.00 for shock and fork valving and maybe 1500.00 for exhaust? Thats the ohlins shock and fork model. Callit 28,000 all set up with custom suspension.

I cant find a good Australian suzuki price, but its advertised as "under 15,000" about half. I dotn see a problem there.

In America a suzuki gsxs 1000 starts at 9999.00 and a gsxr 1000 is 13,899. If you think you'll get top of the line stuff at 9999, your dreaming.

V strom 650 abs price is 8549.00.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lets use Australian pricing. The Aprilia tuono rr factory sells for 26k. It is finished, as is , except for exhaust and suspension valving. So, we'll say 500.00 for shock and fork valving and maybe 1500.00 for exhaust? Thats the ohlins shock and fork model. Callit 28,000 all set up with custom suspension.

I cant find a good Australian suzuki price, but its advertised as "under 15,000" about half. I dotn see a problem there.

In America a suzuki gsxs 1000 starts at 9999.00 and a gsxr 1000 is 13,899. If you think you'll get top of the line stuff at 9999, your dreaming.

V strom 650 abs price is 8549.00.
No I don't expect top of the line stuff, but at nearly £10k by the the time it's on the road I expect a bit better, what with the throttle problem, rear shock, thin paint etc, it would be only pence for Suzuki to put right... £10,000 is a lot of money where I come from..!!:|

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now an upspec Suzuki GSX S1000 'Factory' model with all the goodies could be very tasty.
Food for thought.
How about it mr Suzuki?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts