GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been doing some poking around on here but is there a goto for buying a rear shock for us state side?
is there a forum vendor or group buy going on for a replacement rear shock ?
Thank you
Ray

·
Registered
358 Posts
Revzilla sells a K-Tech RCU Razor-R.
I went with a Wilbers 641. Home - EPM Wilbers Performance Motorcycle Suspension is the US distributor. It is more expensive, but has high and low speed compression adjust, along with rebound and preload. They will set it up for your bodyweight as well. The Wilbers also, IIRC, has a larger piston and rod compared to the K-Tech.
Penske and Ohlins also have a shock, but the Penske is even more expensive and the Ohlins lacks compression adjustment.

A cheaper alternative, which requires adapters, IIRC is the R1 used off ebay? You might be able to find details on here. There was a person who sold adapters, but I do not believe he shipped any. He left some folks on here shocked by his behavior (bad pun intended). If you are friends with a machinist, that might be one option, to have adapters made. Others will probably chime in here as a fair amount of replacement options that have been tried by others.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You don’t need a bracket for the R1 shock. You do have to trim some of the battery box and remove a cross brace from the subframe. You would also need a smaller battery. I bought an Antigravity 8 cell battery, and did the mods to the subframe and battery box. I used a 2015 R1 shock, and am really pleased with the results. I have less than $250 in the “upgrade”

·
Registered
36 Posts
You don’t need a bracket for the R1 shock. You do have to trim some of the battery box and remove a cross brace from the subframe. You would also need a smaller battery. I bought an Antigravity 8 cell battery, and did the mods to the subframe and battery box. I used a 2015 R1 shock, and am really pleased with the results. I have less than $250 in the “upgrade”
Same here - worth every bit of the time and effort to install the R1 shock.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it sounds worse then it is but .... cutting the sub frame

·
Registered
470 Posts
Only need to cut out the cross brace, not on the subframe. It’s more like support for the battery. Mines been gone for over a year and it made no difference in the bike besides having the R1 shock transform my bike.

I don’t think I have more than $165 in mine. Bought a new takeoff shock from a track junkie and a standard battery for a RSV Aprilia.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe it sounds worse then it is but .... cutting the sub frame
Pack mule addressed this, but yeah, not a big deal. Just the part under the battery. I left enough there to still support the battery!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Besides, our subframe is super heavy. I couldn’t believe what a lump it was when I removed it!

·
Registered
2016 GSXS1000
203 Posts
I need to quit being lazy & get mine installed. Have had for like 2 months now. Brand new takeoff R1 shock.
Was planning on sending ECU out for flash & doing it then.
Need to score a nice lil lithium batt.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I will have to look a bit more into it. What is the R1 shock sprung for .. I weigh 225
Not sure, but sag is perfect for me in the middle of the adjustment. I’m about 180 lbs in gear. It also is height adjustable, but sits about the same as stock fully extended.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Subframe is steel, and is still plenty strong without that bit. (IMO)
More of it is brand new with 0.2 miles and I am having a tough time cutting her up to save $500. She will be sitting in my living room for a few more months so-time will tell lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
More of it is brand new with 0.2 miles and I am having a tough time cutting her up to save $500. She will be sitting in my living room for a few more months so-time will tell lol
I get it. It took me nearly two years to do it after buying the shock!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you amortize that $500 over the number of years you’ll keep the bike, it doesn’t amount to much given you'll have a fully adjustable shock that is also sprung and valved for you weight.

That said, given your weight, I’d wait until you’ve had time to ride it some and done some adjusting first. The stock suspenders seem to work better for us heavier guys. I’m 240lbs and though I do plan on upgrading front and rear, the factory stuff seems to work fairly well for me on the street.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts