GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ****** up

Forgot to remove the rear speed/ABS sensor before removing and reinstalling my rear wheel.

Been looking for a replacement, found one site claiming to carry it in Hungary. SUZUKI GSX-S1000FA L6 (E28 E33) 533B - HYDRAULIC UNIT (GSX-S1000FAL6 E33) alkatrészek > oem-parts.hu

Google search for that part number only returned me to the same site. Wondering, does anyone happen to know if Suzuki uses this same sensor on any other models? Hoping to find a distributor in the US to buy it from, I suspect shipping time from Hungary is going to take a while.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, there is a number listed on the elbow at the sensor, hopefully that's a part number. In the mean time, I just squished it back together really tightly, ran a coating of liquid electrical tape around the outside, and put it back in the bracket. Hopefully that'll do the trick. From the glimpse I got of the internals, it's not like a traditional car induction signal generator with a magnet in a coil, this is consistent with the different style of tone ring we have. Instead it looks like this is more along the lines of field effect sensor with a control signal passing through the probe into one of two small leads, then the fluctuating field effect due to the passing of alternating conductor and air gaps modulates the signal passing into the return lead. If that's the case, then I may have been able to get the leads enough in contact where they broke to allow some current through, and the "tape" should keep water out. The amplitude of signal read will likely change, but I think that it should be the modulation that carries the information, not the actual current, otherwise at different humidity it would read different speeds. Of course, I'm not certain that's how the sensor actually works, but it seems like the most likely method.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bytheby, temp fixed worked, and held up to the commute. Hopefully it'll last a while. Even though I did find many more options with the PN from bike-parts, still only finding OCONUS sellers, so probably a couple weeks before I get the part in hand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When putting the rear tire back on a bike, I usually sit down behind it, balance it on my toes, to lift it in. This time it slipped off one foot and twisted sideways. So, I'd say it was more a matter of me being unlucky, but I'm gonna keep this in mind and disconnect the speed sensor first next time around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts