GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at nuts for the new rear sprocket I got and they list 2 different sizes. 8mm and 10mm. I'm assuming I need 6 m10x1.25? They also have the m10x1.0 size too. Thanks. I did a search but couldnt find anything on it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
M10x1.25mm for sure.

Reactions: Squidbilly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Technically speaking, the service manual says to not re-use those nuts. So to remove one would be to effectively take the bike out of service until a correct replacement is obtained.
Good point, although I was more concerned with pulling a nut and driving it to my hardware store with only 5 nuts on it. I'm sure it would have been fine but it was easier just to find out online honestly. Thanks guys, I have them on order.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rear axle nut is one time use also, nobody will replace it each time they loosen it. This is utter nonsense. Use and reuse. They are not torque to yield they are selling you extra parts during service.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Rear axle nut is one time use also, nobody will replace it each time they loosen it. This is utter nonsense. Use and reuse. They are not torque to yield they are selling you extra parts during service.
The rear axle nut is not the same as a sprocket nut. To equate the two, and to state unequivocally that it is "utter nonsense" to replace the sprocket bolts after each use is a disservice to the readers.
I'm done here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
They are both not to be reused according to the manual. You can be done here or whatever, your words are of little use. I'd put more emphasis on the single axle nut than the four or five of the sprocket. You choose, don't be a *****.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Don't be a d-i-c-k.

There.
I'm glad the OP received the information required.
Just a heads up for OJB. I can't see who you are replying to but i can gather as there is a lowlife scumbag on these forums whom i have set to ignore. I am glad we have the option and i have put it to good use.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm glad the OP received the information required.
Just a heads up for OJB. I can't see who you are replying to but i can gather as there is a lowlife scumbag on these forums whom i have set to ignore. I am glad we have the option and i have put it to good use.
Ah, thanks for the advice, I did a little investigating and the lowlife scumbag has now been set to Ignore. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thanks guys. No need for name calling and all that, we all choose which risks we think are acceptable as far as reusing bolts, nuts, etc.

When I came on here about a question, and got the response 'it's pretty easy to inspect one isn't it?' I found that pretty obnoxious @Goon. If you don't know or don't want to share, just don't post. If you are a long time member that is tired of the same old questions, just ignore the post. It's pretty easy. When I went online to order the nuts, and they list 3 different sizes that are supposed to fit my bike, I just wanted to be sure so I didn't waste my time ordering, sending back, re-ordering, etc.

As an added note, I keep my bike in my cousin's garage most of the time when I am not riding it. I moved into a condo last year after my divorce and I don't have a secure place to store it. So a lot of times, I will be at home looking at and ordering parts online and my bike will be 20 miles away from me. So it is nice to be able to come on here and find the info I am looking for without having to do an hour of driving back and forth to physically check the bike.

I do almost all of my own wrenching and maintenance. I will try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum, but no guarantees. :) Thanks again to those who were helpful.

Safe riding out there guys.

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK kids, let's not fight! :LOL:
Well, this is a discussion forum. Some times we get a straight answer and some times we don't, but we may get an idea to get the answer to our question somewhere else.
No one is stupid to ask questions. So, don't be afraid to ask, someone may know the answer.
The one that does not know is like a blind person, but when someone open your eyes to see, sometimes it hurts.
You know what hurts me the most in the school? When I ask a question and the teacher, in stead of answering my question he/she ask me: "How long have you been here in the school and you don't know this yet?":cry:
Or worse: "How many times I have explained this to you already?":LOL:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK kids, let's not fight! :LOL:
Well, this is a discussion forum. Some times we get a straight answer and some times we don't, but we may get an idea to get the answer to our question somewhere else.
No one is stupid to ask questions. So, don't be afraid to ask, someone may know the answer.
The one that does not know is like a blind person, but when someone open your eyes to see, sometimes it hurts.
You know what hurts me the most in the school? When I ask a question and the teacher, in stead of answering my question he/she ask me: "How long have you been here in the school and you don't know this yet?":cry:
Or worse: "How many times I have explained this to you already?":LOL:
You'll get to know me as time goes on. I am never afraid of looking stupid. :p

·
Registered
285 Posts
Because these used nuts/bolts may back out break/sheer off under heavy acceleration and you may have a terrible accident. It has happened to some people.
It has to do with the old threads and stretching of the used bolt. It may not happen to many who are using their old bolts but it may happen to you.
Buy new ones, better to be safe than sorry 😢

·
Registered
28 Posts
Because these used nuts/bolts may back out break/sheer off under heavy acceleration and you may have a terrible accident. It has happened to some people.
It has to do with the old threads and stretching of the used bolt. It may not happen to many who are using their old bolts but it may happen to you.
Buy new ones, better to be safe than sorry 😢
Then I would replace with grade 8 nuts and bolts. Sheering off would never be a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts