GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
307 Posts
No I was talking to GeoffC, he apparently is a tech. I meant sell mine brand new, but I would have to pay my dealer as I'm 90 minutes away and not a motorcycle tech

· Registered
278 Posts
I wish I could pull that off, but I hate the idea of wasting new tires. I guess I could see what my dealer would charge me and send him a pair of S22’s. I don’t know that I’m that advanced of a rider, I’m usually following fast guys in our ride groups.
Working at the dealership helps me more so not costing me lol. I have a great boss that looks after his employees also.:rolleyes:(y):p

· Registered
278 Posts
No I was talking to GeoffC, he apparently is a tech. I meant sell mine brand new, but I would have to pay my dealer as I'm 90 minutes away and not a motorcycle tech
I am only a dog's body lol I am there as a casual / part-timer to do anything required. I wish I had the brains to be a tech lol. Thanks for the advance in the job description but lol.

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
307 Posts
GeoffC, I hear ya! Glad they hook you up then! I may have to ride on the OEMs till I wear them out. I haven't ridden since before December, so they might be a good thing for me. They're probably plenty good for me anyway.

Reactions: Geoff C

· Registered
278 Posts
GeoffC, I hear ya! Glad they hook you up then! I may have to ride on the OEMs till I wear them out. I haven't ridden since before December, so they might be a good thing for me. They're probably plenty good for me anyway.
I sold my 2018 R1200RT around November 2021 so by the time the new bike comes in it will be early 2023. I am lucky if I want a bike to ride I can take one from work, I tend not to ride them on my time but at least I have a lot to choose from should I want one for a day or two. I have to say I loved my BMW bikes but this GT will be as good and cheaper to maintain and really for the price you are not missing out on too much. I am at an age where comfort, handling and dare I say speed are up there on my go-to list lol. 😄😉:rolleyes::unsure: I know I should slow down but !! I don't go stupid although I admit I am no angel when it comes to going a bit too fast haha.!!

· Registered
7 Posts
One of the reviews of the GT (this one, I think: Suzuki GSX-S1000GT (2021) - Review) mentioned the GT's rear tire size of 190/50. The author questioned why Suzuki didn't use the "taller" size of 190/55.

My question: What would the "taller" tire do for performance/handling, and would it affect anything if, at the next tire change, you replaced the 190/50 with a 190/55 tire? Would ABS or TC be impacted in any way, require a recalibration of the system software?

Author didn't mention the front tire, so assume that's optimal?
Letting you know once the oem tires were shot I replaced them with Dunlop road smart 4 and to answer your question I did go with the 190/55 rear. Totally changed the bike for the better. Yes the tires themselves are awesome butt moving from the 50 to the 55 rear made all the difference in the world. Fits fine, nothing to do except ride. So much nicer and quicker handling. Very predictable and much easier to ride a fast pace.

· Registered
855 Posts
Letting you know once the oem tires were shot I replaced them with Dunlop road smart 4 and to answer your question I did go with the 190/55 rear. Totally changed the bike for the better. Yes the tires themselves are awesome butt moving from the 50 to the 55 rear made all the difference in the world. Fits fine, nothing to do except ride. So much nicer and quicker handling. Very predictable and much easier to ride a fast pace.
Couldn't agree more! I replaced the original Dunlop Sportmax II's (or whatever they were called) with Pilot Power 2CT's front and rear. The change in rear tire size from 190/50 to 190/55 was immediately noticeable and MUCH better. The bike wants to lean on it's own with the new size, nearly zero effort required. The 190/55 is also slightly taller than the original 190/50 rear tire, so it did raise the seat height just a hair. At 5'11" tall, I can still flat foot it without issue. The taller tire also helps lower the RPM just a bit at any given speed, which was nice because I had already dropped one tooth on the front sprocket. The sprocket change gave me a good boost in acceleration, but at the expense of increased RPM. The RPM at speed was brought down a little by the taller rear tire without me noticing any effect on acceleration.

· Registered
20 Posts
I made this change on my Concours 14. It made huge difference in turn in. I had 8 years with the 190/50 before going to the 190/55. I was hesitant because I am so short. I am only 5'6 tall.
Even so this was an excellent change. No stability changes that I could detect and I rode that bike up to 150 MPH. I am very pleased with the handling of the GSXS1000GT. Does it need the change? No but more is always better, right? I am unsure if I will make the change. This bike great as is and I am comfortable with the seat height.

· Registered
7 Posts
I made this change on my Concours 14. It made huge difference in turn in. I had 8 years with the 190/50 before going to the 190/55. I was hesitant because I am so short. I am only 5'6 tall.
Even so this was an excellent change. No stability changes that I could detect and I rode that bike up to 150 MPH. I am very pleased with the handling of the GSXS1000GT. Does it need the change? No but more is always better, right? I am unsure if I will make the change. This bike great as is and I am comfortable with the seat height.
The change in rear tire size made no noticeable difference in the seat height. I am short as well, but I have to say its something absolutely worth doing. The oem tires suck but combined with the 150 rear tire aspect ratio its made far worse. It should be noted that i ride sport bikes as well and am very use to the more quick feel of the 155 tire size. Hope this helps

· Registered
87 Posts
The OEM tires for the GSXS1000 are about $200 for the set. Usually I'm fine with stock tires on every bike I've ridden those tires did not have much grip which probably was caused by 7 year old tires + not ridden much. They were worse than the bias-ply stockers I got on a GSF400, and that is saying a lot.

I notice the GSXS1000 with max traction control is gentle on tires. The bike is not allowing the rear tire to do even those tiny spins over bumps, and that is amazing to me. This is the first bike I've ever owned with traction control. Did we actually ride 100 hp bikes without traction control? Seems so dangerous now.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts