GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a faff removing rhe rear wheel yesterday. Changed tyres and the most difficult thing was removing the rear wheel over the brake caliper.

Any tips from you maintenance gurus??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Remove the caliper rather than trying to manoeuvre the wheel around it. apart from that it is a bit of a faff.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,600 Posts
Read the manual ! Page 6-51 item 8 = remove the brake caliper.

Reactions: landy10

·
Registered
437 Posts
Read the manual ! Page 6-51 item 8 = remove the brake caliper.
In the motor trade we used to have code on job sheets when our lovely BMW drivers complained that things didnt work. It would read as follows
RTFM!

As dekker said "read the ****ing manual" >:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found removing the rear wheel was quite easy but the trouble i had was putting it back. Aligning the caliper with the rear disc while putting the whole thing back into place was bit hard. Any tips from the pro's would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I place a small pocketbike tire under the rear tire, almost the perfect height to align the rearwheel, brake caliper and put the axle back in the wheel.

I also use the small tire when removing the wheel, so you don't have to hold the wheel all the time, just pull the axle and the wheel will rest on the small tire, than you can easilly remove the caliper and the chain

·
Registered
54 Posts
I place a small pocketbike tire under the rear tire, almost the perfect height to align the rearwheel, brake caliper and put the axle back in the wheel.

I also use the small tire when removing the wheel, so you don't have to hold the wheel all the time, just pull the axle and the wheel will rest on the small tire, than you can easilly remove the caliper and the chain
Thanks for the tip bud.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use a large wedge of wood to aid putting the wheel back on.
Chain on sprocket, caliper carrier in slot with axle just hanging from the swingarm hole. Pull wheel up the wedge at the same time lining up axle as soon as it lines up get the axle past the first set of bearings then let go of wheel.
Remove wedge gently tap axle through with a rubber mallet and bobs your uncle.
I've had the back wheel off so many times now I impress myself how quick I can get it back on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Conventional swing-arms and wide/heavy rear tires are PITA to handle.
It helps of course to do it often and/or follow the important tips above, especially for puttin' it back on again.
Single sided swing-arms with central nut or even better, standard wheel lugs like a car is sooo much easier.
But this costs a lot more to make and often mean shaft drive.
And then some other stuff (maintenance) involves more labor and knowledge/experience.

You cant have it all.
:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
read the manual i refuse to read the manual it's just a book of information for silly people who know how to read. Much rather skin my knuckles and swear......
Gee i did read the manual once , it taught me how to ride my first bike after i told the dealer to deliver it to my home coz i didn't know how to ride......... maybe i will read the manual after all

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
When I'm doing the rear wheel on my own I have a 3 foot plank I place under the tyre. The end of the plank sits about six inches past the tire and the other 2ft 6 sticks out the back.
I find I can lift the end of the plank with my toe and still have both hands free to align the tire and shove the axle through at the same time. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it but works really well when you do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
read the manual i refuse to read the manual it's just a book of information for silly people who know how to read. Much rather skin my knuckles and swear......
Gee i did read the manual once , it taught me how to ride my first bike after i told the dealer to deliver it to my home coz i didn't know how to ride......... maybe i will read the manual after all

I'd rather skin my knuckles than get a paper cut. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
What a faff removing rhe rear wheel yesterday. Changed tyres and the most difficult thing was removing the rear wheel over the brake caliper.

Any tips from you maintenance gurus??
Everything said makes sense only other input i can add is that i push the pads as far back in the caliper as i can(compress the piston)that gives a little more room to maneuver the disc into the caliper.

Don't forget to pump the brake lever before you ride.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm about to remove mine. Just ordered a rear tire, waiting for it to arrive. Any other gotchas that I should be aware of? This will be my first time removing a motorcycle wheel. There are some instructional videos on youtube, but none for this bike, and they seem a bit different, for example they have a cotterpin which our bike doesn't have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not too familiar with these newfangled rear brake calipers. I'm used to torque arms. How does one remove the caliper? is it the hex bolt at the front and the bolt under the rubber boot? Does anyone know the torque specs? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,600 Posts
I'm not too familiar with these newfangled rear brake calipers. I'm used to torque arms. How does one remove the caliper? is it the hex bolt at the front and the bolt under the rubber boot? Does anyone know the torque specs? Thanks
Look in your handbook that came with the bike.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,600 Posts
Yep those are the ones.
The lower hex head bolt =22nm/16.5 lbf-ft
The upper allen key bolt = 27Nm/20.0 lbf-ft
The pad retaining pin = 18Nm/13.5 lbf-ft

Reactions: adrianpeds
1 - 20 of 29 Posts