GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while at the dealer today for my wife's bike, I was asked if I had the recall done on my Gsxs. Apparently they are experiencing leaky brembo calipers and from what I was told dealers in the US are replacing both front calipers. They ordered mine and also told me there is a stop sell on new bikes in the US. Not sure if this will be world wide or only on US models.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have not heard anything abut the Canadian bikes. I am sure we are not far behind. I will be checking tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nothing on the UK DVSA site for our bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just spoke to my dealer. Here is a portion of what was in the service bulletin from Suzuki USA:

Suzuki Motor Corporation has instituted a safety recall campaign to replace the front brake calipers. The supplier of the calipers applied a surface treatment to change the color of the brake caliper body. Due to insufficient sealing, some treating liquid may have entered the brake piston cylinder, damaging the surface of the brake piston seal groove in the piston cylinder. This condition can cause brake fluid leakage. To ensure customer safety and satisfaction, dealers will replace the front brake calipers.
My VIN was within the range and they say that parts should be available for ordering this coming week. My F's VIN ends in 00097 but each model (Naked w/ or w/out ABS, faired, California market or not) are each considered different models so it'll be hard to map this out.

Attached is the VIN decoder from the service manual. It is not the list of VINs covered by the recall.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Blue. The US site's recall page is here:

Suzuki Cycles - Recalls

Upon entering my VIN I get the following:

NHTSA Recall Number: <NULL>
Suzuki Recall Number: QJ
Recall Date: 11/19/15
Recall Description: The supplier of the front brake caliper applied a surface treatment to change the color of the brake caliper body. Due to insufficient sealing, some treating liquid may have entered the brake piston cylinder, damaging the surface condition of the brake piston seal groove in the piston cylinder, which can result in brake fluid leaking from the brake calipers.
Safety Risk Description: Brake fluid leakage can result in reduced braking performance, increasing the risk of a crash.
Repair Description: Suzuki dealers will replace the front brake calipers of affected motorcycles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is what mine said....

Model Year/Model: 2016 GSX-S1000L6 Nov 20, 2015Results Last Updated:
No open safety recalls found

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I called my dealer and my bike needs the recall. They have to order the parts and told me not to ride the bike until it's fixed. They're going to come and get it free of charge. It's gonna be a long week or so not riding it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One wasn't offered and I didn't think to ask. I've got my old bike to ride in the meantime. It will only make me love the new one more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So while at the dealer today for my wife's bike, I was asked if I had the recall done on my Gsxs. Apparently they are experiencing leaky brembo calipers and from what I was told dealers in the US are replacing both front calipers. They ordered mine and also told me there is a stop sell on new bikes in the US. Not sure if this will be world wide or only on US models.
I just purchased my s1000 today. Pickup will be next week after they replace the calipers. I was told all USA non ABS bikes

·
Registered
222 Posts
My blue one was not subject to the recall. I checked before closing the deal. That's good, 'cause I went riding today! :D

The red one sitting next to it needed the recall and the dealer could not sell it until the calipers were replaced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bummer, have had mine 2 weeks (naked w/ ABS version) and haven't been able to ride much.... Mine does say it's one of the bikes affected so I'll be riding it to the dealer tomorrow morning I guess...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts