GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past month or so I’ve completed a few mods to the bike and even though I have not had much seat time since their addition, I will give my initial impressions.

Moore Mafia tune/M4 full system/air box restrictor delete/K&N filter: Why didn’t the bike just come like this? Fueling is so much better after the tune that there is no comparison. It’s so much smoother that it almost feels uneventful. I didn’t realize how bad it was and how much I was compensating for it. The first time out, it felt so much less dramatic that I almost thought it was detuned. Then I looked at the speedo and saw I was at go to jail speeds. Oops. 😬 There is NO dip in the power band anymore. It just pulls like a monster from bottom to as high as I’ve gone, 11,500-ish. No drop off at the top thus far. I’ll venture higher in the revs next outing but weather cut that short today. Definitely wants to loft the front wheel under power more now.

G2 quick turn throttle tube: Also should have been like this from the factory. Not too aggressive for the street and nice to not have to grip up to get to WOT.

Driven Meteor handlebar: Much improved over factory. Was going to use the Renthal street low but no one had black in stock so grabbed one of these. Body position is much improved with slight lean forward but not enough to add pressure to the wrists. Definitely feels better to my back. Also, reduced wind buffeting when I was in the highway headed to the office yesterday.

Overall I am very happy with these mods and will post up more as I get additional seat time and complete the rest of the build.

Remaining items to add: Andreani fork cartridges and adjust the Healtech QS and bring it online. Figured I should ride the bike the way I did before while getting used to the mods, and try it after.

Didn’t take a lot of photos as I was working on it but here are a couple. Pardon the garage mess, my son has been using it to work on his ND Miata.

Attachments

· Registered
204 Posts
Why didn’t the bike just come like this?
Suzuki sell it fuelled to get through emissions and because they didnt fit automated throttle bodies to the mark 1 [ride-by-wire] the fuelling is atrocious. When it gets remapped the fuelling is enriched and would fail homologation if it were sold as new - aftermarket mapping can do what the oem map simply cannot do [well unless you put smaller, ride-by-wire throttle bodies on, and alter cam-timing [which is what suzuki have ended up doing on the mark 2].

It's good that you are now enjoying it as a result of the mods.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suzuki sell it fuelled to get through emissions and because they didnt fit automated throttle bodies to the mark 1 [ride-by-wire] the fuelling is atrocious. When it gets remapped the fuelling is enriched and would fail homologation if it were sold as new - aftermarket mapping can do what the oem map simply cannot do [well unless you put smaller, ride-by-wire throttle bodies on, and alter cam-timing [which is what suzuki have ended up doing on the mark 2].

It's good that you are now enjoying it as a result of the mods.
It was a rhetorical question.Unfortunately I fully understand the requirements for emissions tuning and have see what it can do to performance. I’ve been tuning my Subarus via RomRaider and ECUFlash for the past 6 years since I weaned off the Cobb Accessport.

· Registered
204 Posts
It was a rhetorical question.Unfortunately I fully understand the requirements for emissions tuning and have see what it can do to performance. I’ve been tuning my Subarus via RomRaider and ECUFlash for the past 6 years since I weaned off the Cobb Accessport.
Apologies. Unfortunately there are a lot people on a lot of forums who think the manufacturers are at fault for these issues. It's like the folk who think carbs are better than efi, when they fail to realise that efi is the only way to make bikes compliant with ever tougher emissions regs.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies. Unfortunately there are a lot people on a lot of forums who think the manufacturers are at fault for these issues. It's like the folk who think carbs are better than efi, when they fail to realise that efi is the only way to make bikes compliant with ever tougher emissions regs.
No apology needed. Completely understood. Lots of people just don’t know and aren’t edjamucated on them ther things. 😬

· Registered
21 Posts
G2 quick turn throttle tube: Also should have been like this from the factory. Not too aggressive for the street and nice to not have to grip up to get to WOT.
I'm irritated at Suzuki for providing us a bike with handlebars that aren't angled back far enough to properly grip the throttle in a tennis grip instead of the "toddler with a spoon" grip. The tennis grip allows one to rotate the throttle without moving the wrist at all but the toddler grip forces movement of the wrist. It's all very irritating and this is the first bike I've ever owned that I've needed to use my wrist on.

· Registered
668 Posts
Its amazing how smooth the Moore Mafia tune is. I think your bike felt slower post flash because of the throttle tamer. There was no need for that tube to tame your throttle, you just needed a proper tune and now you have one.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its amazing how smooth the Moore Mafia tune is. I think your bike felt slower post flash because of the throttle tamer. There was no need for that tube to tame your throttle, you just needed a proper tune and now you have one.
It felt slow because it was significantly smoother throughout. Not a throttle tamer. I added the quick turn throttle tube which I had on the bike prior to the tune.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work - a tune is a must for these bikes, I had Dano's on mine and it was night and day. Now you just need a headlight from us!

View attachment 49904
Was looking at the headlight upgrade but am holding off for a bit. Building a new house so have to lay off the toys for a while. Especially since I also filled the safe some as well this year. 😬 Too many hobby’s.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been fortunate in that I have gotten in several hours of riding over the last couple days and I have to say “This thing is a monster”! It flat out hails ass! Have had a couple people I ride with comment on how f’in fast she is now. What a difference. Bike is amazing. Now I just need to find time to install the fork cartridges and tune the quick shifter. Really need to do the brake lines and headlights also. I’ve already planted that seed and watered it with some purchases for the new house the Mrs. wanted. 😂😂😂

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been fortunate in that I have gotten in several hours of riding over the last couple days and I have to say “This thing is a monster”! It flat out hails ass! Have had a couple people I ride with comment on how f’in fast she is now. What a difference. Bike is amazing. Now I just need to find time to install the fork cartridges and tune the quick shifter. Really need to do the brake lines and headlights also. I’ve already planted that seed and watered it with some purchases for the new house the Mrs. wanted. 😂😂😂
Well I quickly screwed that up and won’t be doing any mods for a bit. Bought another rifle today. Way too many hobbies. 😂😂😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts