GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just wondering if someone has any preference on tyre replacement for my 1000 f, I ran Meltzer road Tec 1s on my MT 09 and found them to be very good tyres. I want to change the standard Dunlop's I have now, I find them a bit soft, waiting for replies, thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
well i have tried dunlop sport smart 2 and now i have the bridgestone s21, there both very good tyres but i think by the looks of it the s21 are going to last a bit longer and i think the sport smart seemed a bit softer and just a touch sticker but both are good and i put a 55 what a difference that made

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
noticed a few ordering the 55...was the choice of 55 for handing ...lower rpm...longer tire life.....ect......are they as stable as 50 on highway.......like to hear members experience...thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
noticed a few ordering the 55...was the choice of 55 for handing ...lower rpm...longer tire life.....ect......are they as stable as 50 on highway.......like to hear members experience...thanks

The bike specifications is 50 so I kept it that way , they had a PR4 50 in stock and it does me fine, I'm not usually a tyre specific person but it was a big difference turning in even without going to a 55.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dunlop Road Smart 2 or 3 190/55

Have previously posted in this regard, the 55 handles better (quicker/lane changes/canyon blasts/street splitting),
much , much better.

Hard riding, freeway, canyons, roads/streets average 5,000 to 5,700 miles the 3's not flat spot, the 2's just a bit after 4,600 miles or so. But to be fair to the 2's, had to ride quite a bit of freeway (concrete) that specific month.

In the rain, some mud the 2's did fine (just don't punch it over slick/paint marks on the road/mud/etc). TC 3 in heavy rain handle just fine.

Angel GT (55) got about 4,500 as the pilot 4. Angel very sticky in the rain ( also in canyons).

Try the 55 (dip the bike much quicker/punch out of corners with a big 11k smile!;)), what do you have to loose? most likely you won't go back to the 50.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have previously posted in this regard, the 55 handles better (quicker/lane changes/canyon blasts/street splitting),
much , much better.

Hard riding, freeway, canyons, roads/streets average 5,000 to 5,700 miles the 3's not flat spot, the 2's just a bit after 4,600 miles or so. But to be fair to the 2's, had to ride quite a bit of freeway (concrete) that specific month.

In the rain, some mud the 2's did fine (just don't punch it over slick/paint marks on the road/mud/etc). TC 3 in heavy rain handle just fine.

Angel GT (55) got about 4,500 as the pilot 4. Angel very sticky in the rain ( also in canyons).

Try the 55 (dip the bike much quicker/punch out of corners with a big 11k smile!;)), what do you have to loose? most likely you won't go back to the 50.
The photos (55's) show pretty good wear considering all the freeway (concrete crap) time over 50 %. Still round. They order me the 2 by mistake in lieu of the 3. also like the 2's and a bit less$ (40 $ or so). The new tire (2) is already mounted next to the 3 (about 5,600k, i think it was)

Hope this helps. (also side cases with files/tablet/ water/plug kit/compressor/etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
a mate of mine kept telling me you must put a 55 on when you need tyres so i did, what a difference it made, when i sat on the bike in the car park after having the new tyres i thought is this my bike:eek: it felt higher and different just sitting on it :D when i got out of the town and hit the twistys it felt a totally different bike quicker to tun in and seemed to power out better, weird how just putting a 55 on made so much difference

·
Registered
327 Posts
Forget about all those. Buy the Michelin PR 4. Best tyre on the market... why?
Minimal warm up time have good grip right away, even when cold unlike all the other brands (especially Pirelli!) They all need at least 15 mins riding time to warm up and achieve good grip.
Great mileage
Good grip dry AND Wet.
Good longevity
Predictable tyre
Nice angle for predictable turn in.
Finally Stay with stock profile! Bike is engineered for the OEM sizes and geometry.

And most important that most don't have...these have very close circumference measurement to OEM tyres so that they perform as closest to stock geometry & ABS ( as it's engineered & designed)
That's about it. I have tried them all and recommend the above for your application
Good luck

All the above advice for a road bike on street riding conditions
For track completely different advice
Jeffro

·
Registered
117 Posts
motorrad just made a very good test of supersport tires. 6 2017 Kawasaki ZX10R with different supersport tires, rode 4000km around Europe, on a couple of track and so an. It is a 5 page review.

The Pirelli Diablo Rosso III was the overall winner.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As far as rear tires go, I got 3600 miles out of the OEM tire (and a good portion of that was easy riding during run in). Then I got 5900 miles out of Angel GT riding it pretty hard, nice tire. And just for the heck of it I put a Roadsmart 3 on. Seems like it is going to be a great tire. Local shop got it cheaper than I could have one shipped to my house.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have now done 6000 miles with the PR4's and found them excellent, even did 2 trackdays.
I don't want to hijack the thread but have a question someone might be able to answer; The rear is now squared off and illegal down the centre due to too much motorway riding, I was looking into putting on a part worn tyre to last till I replace both later as the front is still good for 3000 miles. I cant find a PR4 but can buy a PR3 at a good price, can I run PR4 front and PR3 rear?
Thanks Brent

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have now done 6000 miles with the PR4's and found them excellent, even did 2 trackdays.
I don't want to hijack the thread but have a question someone might be able to answer; The rear is now squared off and illegal down the centre due to too much motorway riding, I was looking into putting on a part worn tyre to last till I replace both later as the front is still good for 3000 miles. I cant find a PR4 but can buy a PR3 at a good price, can I run PR4 front and PR3 rear?
Thanks Brent
Of course, there is no rule that your front and rear tires need to match.

I replace each one separately when it wears out, no need to replace them at the same time. A front tire tends to last me about twice as long as the rear.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts