GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to one of the guys at Hilltop Motorcycles www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk yesterday and they reckon that they can remap my bike. So far, DynoJet have told me their PCV and Fuel Commander are both still under development and all the other remap companies I have tried have told me they cannot remap the GSX-S yet.

They reckon it would take around 3 hours and would sort the throttle response issue, but it's getting on for a 200 mile round trip for me and at £350 it isn't exactly cheap!

I went to Santa Pod today and the last 20-30 miles at the end of the day through 30's 40's and 50's really took the shine off of an otherwise great day. I was struggling so much with the throttle it was quite a relief to put it away in the garage!

This really has to be sorted before I start disliking the bike because of it.....

.....anyone want to join me and see if we can get a group discount?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having this many problems with your bike but I wouldn't say mine is that bad. Sure yours hasn't got something else up with it?
How many miles have you done because now I have gone over 1500 I think it has smoothed out a bit.

Funnily enough mine is booked for a dyno run tomorrow so I can get a baseline before starting to think about straight - through headers and power commander. I will post up the results and what is recommended, he has already said it sounds like it is running lean at low revs probably to get it through the emissions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't have an issue with my throttle. I can ride one hand on the throttle without any concerns that I will do something bad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
People are overexaggerating the throttle response "issue" a little bit, this is a bike for purists it doesn't have rain,road,street,race,sport,track modes for throttle mapping, once you get used to it you should manage just fine
What's your definition of a 'purist' then?:confused::confused:
Someone who's willing to put up with a less than adequate fundamental feature of most modern bikes perhaps, namely a smooth throttle action?
Of late I have test ridden a 1290 Superduke and BMW - S1000R, 1000 XR and the 1200R boxer. All had excellent, smooth and predictable throttle actions and I tested all the bikes including the GSXS over a variety of conditions and roads.
Hands down the Suzuki was ****e and currently last on my buying list as a result.
Untill I see a credible fix for the throttle this bike isn't getting a 2nd look from me I'm afraid.:(

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think riding my MT09 for six months made me immune to throttle snatch as the GSXS seems spot on. Whilst riding the first 100 miles i took note on changing gear and when things take off and now its all there.

When i first got the Yammy it would Kangaroo around roundabout and all sorts. Loads of peeps complained and Yamaha came out with a remap. I didnt bother as i had the throttle control down within a week.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear you are having this many problems with your bike but I wouldn't say mine is that bad. Sure yours hasn't got something else up with it?
How many miles have you done because now I have gone over 1500 I think it has smoothed out a bit.

Funnily enough mine is booked for a dyno run tomorrow so I can get a baseline before starting to think about straight - through headers and power commander. I will post up the results and what is recommended, he has already said it sounds like it is running lean at low revs probably to get it through the emissions.
I've covered 1000 miles now and it's had it's first service so all should be settled down by now. If there is a fault, then it's going to be something like a sensor misbehaving, but I know it gets worse when the engine and air temp is hot so it's more likely to be an AFR issue. I'm sure the Suzuki dealer isn't going to be able to help, if they don't get any error codes then they'll just say its fine.

I would be really interested to see what the AFR figures are like on your bike in stock form, plus of course the power and torque curves >:D

People are overexaggerating the throttle response "issue" a little bit, this is a bike for purists it doesn't have rain,road,street,race,sport,track modes for throttle mapping, once you get used to it you should manage just fine
Sorry, but that's no excuse for a poorly developed bike.

Yesterday morning I was approaching a roundabout in third, planning on taking the first exit. As I approach, I close the throttle, drop down to second, clutch out and with a touch of front brake I slow to the speed I want, perfectly timed just to enter the roundabout. Roll on the throttle just a touch to maintain that speed just as I'm about the tip it left and what happens.... kick in the back as the bike surges forward and I have to slip the clutch a little to settle it down.

Sure it's controllable and yes, you can learn around it (I'm covering and using the clutch in places I wouldn't normally expect to) but that's not really the point. For me that's just settling for something that is sub-standard and I don't want to live with sub-standard.

I've ridden the CB1000R, Z1000SX and S1000R, all of which have much smoother, predictable throttle responses. Incidentally, my CB1000R with PCV and the S1000R both popped and crackled on the overrun... I can't help wondering if that's because they were both running much richer than the GSX-S.

If I do have it remapped and it sorts the issue then a I will have succeeded in doing what Suzuki should have been able to achieve in the first place... If not, it'll remain the only downside to an otherwise fantastic bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yesterday morning I was approaching a roundabout in third, planning on taking the first exit. As I approach, I close the throttle, drop down to second, clutch out and with a touch of front brake I slow to the speed I want, perfectly timed just to enter the roundabout. Roll on the throttle just a touch to maintain that speed just as I'm about the tip it left and what happens.... kick in the back as the bike surges forward and I have to slip the clutch a little to settle it down.
I'm in the same your situation and I agree with you

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have an issue with my throttle. I can ride one hand on the throttle without any concerns that I will do something bad.
Mine the same TTNORTH , thought a power commander would be 1st on my shopping list when its released, but mine really smooth so not going to bother now. I have taken the play out of the throttle grip which makes it even better , but I always do that on all my bikes anyway. Funny because the demo bike I rode was really snatchy , you wouldn`t dare take your hand of the bar at slow speed :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine the same TTNORTH , thought a power commander would be 1st on my shopping list when its released, but mine really smooth so not going to bother now. I have taken the play out of the throttle grip which makes it even better , but I always do that on all my bikes anyway. Funny because the demo bike I rode was really snatchy , you wouldn`t dare take your hand of the bar at slow speed :)
I'm happy with the throttle on mine but I will still get a power commander to mainly make the bike feel a bit more content when going through the 30's, at the moment it doesn't feel and sound very happy keeping it at 1/4 throttle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My thoughts exactly Kev, not really having a problem but when on part throttle engine sounds and feels like it is "hunting".
if a remap will sort it out then all the better if not may have to get the power commander as cant risk even a little snatchy throttle in the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re-Mapping

Hi Martin,
Just seen this message from you so I'll follow this thread.
Leicester seem a long way, did you contact PDQ Motorcycles, Twyford? Were they unable to help?

Matt

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Martin,
Just seen this message from you so I'll follow this thread.
Leicester seem a long way, did you contact PDQ Motorcycles, Twyford? Were they unable to help?
PDQ offer custom mapping with a power commander. Although I had a PCV on my last bike, the throttle response on my bike is bad enough in my opinion to warrant a more permanent remap solution.

I emailed all the GSX-R remapping companies and no one had anything for the GSX-S yet.

Hilltop are the only guys that I have found that will remap directly while on the dyno. I've researched them a fair bit and they have a very good reputation, so fingers crossed for a sweet result on Saturday (my appointment had to move from Wednesday)

I live 6 miles away from this place. I didnt even know it existed.
I'll pop in for a cuppa then.... or pop over and see mine on the dyno, I'll be on my own 'coz none of my riding mates are free to join me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Martin,
Thanks for your reply. I'd be most interested to hear about the results. Can you confirm the the S1000 ECU is not locked by the manufacturer?
I went through this 'snatchy throttle' pain with my MT-09. It is now updated by Yamaha software mod but they locked it too. I still think the bike is twitchy in 1st and 2nd gears at low speeds. Good luck on Saturday.

Matt

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Although I'm a qualified electronic engineer, I'm leaving this one to the experts at Hilltop. I've had a couple of conversations with them and they seem very knowledgable on the subject and have assured me that they can (and have already) remap the GSX-S.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts