GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running Arrow headers into an SP Engineering slip-on. I'm wanting get a slip-on that mounts to the factory location on the rearset and not the passenger footpeg. Really liking the Remus and that new Akrapovic they recently released. I'm wondering which of those two would be less noisy with the headers? What's everyone think?

Also I would welcome other options that mount to the factory location.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. I know someone on here is running the Remus Hypercone with a decat. How does it sound?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump. I know someone on here is running the Remus Hypercone with a decat. How does it sound?
Remus won't fit on the Arrow headers. I contacted them and they said so.
That can't be right. Anything that will fit on the stock exhaust will work on the Arrow. It exits in the exact same location with the same diameter tubing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That can't be right. Anything that will fit on the stock exhaust will work on the Arrow. It exits in the exact same location with the same diameter tubing.
That's what I thought as well but that's what they said. Apparently there are very few that will fit. I contacted Revzilla and spoke with someone there and the guy made the same comment. There is also a thread on here somewhere where someone could not get their muffler to fit on Arrow headers, although on paper it looked like it would be no problem. I think they ended up buying some kind of pipe expander to make it work, something I am not prepared to do.

I contacted Hotbodies Racing who confirmed their muffler connects to the stock location and to the cat but wouldn't give me dimensions.

I ended choosing the Arrow Pro Race because it will definitely fit the headers, connects at the stock location and comes with a baffle if it is too loud without one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't understand that. The slip-on I bought from SP Engineering was made to work on the original headers, and it slipped right onto the Arrow headers PERFECTLY like it was meant for it. So I'm confused.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah I don't understand that. The slip-on I bought from SP Engineering was made to work on the original headers, and it slipped right onto the Arrow headers PERFECTLY like it was meant for it. So I'm confused.
The difference is the gasket. The stock can is fitted with a fairly thick gasket which in total is equal to the outlet diameter of after market headers.
The problem is, many manufacturers have made cans to fit the stock system minus the gasket (M4, shorty Akra etc).
None of these will fit an after market header.
Cans that do fit after market include: Stock can, Yoshi R-11 and Alpha, the original Akra etc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The difference is the gasket. The stock can is fitted with a fairly thick gasket which in total is equal to the outlet diameter of after market headers.
The problem is, many manufacturers have made cans to fit the stock system minus the gasket (M4, shorty Akra etc).
None of these will fit an after market header.
Cans that do fit after market include: Stock can, Yoshi R-11 and Alpha, the original Akra etc
So, how can the Yosh Alpha for example, fit the stock headers and the Arrow headers without modification?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see now. I always assumed the Arrow headers and the stock headers had the same outlet size. I never looked close enough at it. I don't know why they would be making slip-ons that only will fit the stock headers, instead of making the tubing size bigger and having the option to use that exhaust gasket for the stock headers. Stupid. Really limits the options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts