GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wind screen that comes with the F model is surprisingly effective based on its size and appearance. it's not much to look at however and I think in general in detracts from the overall appearance of the bike. and I would like to get some additional wind protection. Any recommendations? Anyone try the Ermax or the MRA models? Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you look around the forum, there are good reports on the MRA screen. I was wondering about the Ermax one too, but haven't seen any rider info on it. A few of us have/had the Powerbronze screen - which I think looks the best - but the improvement in protection seems minimal. I don't know how or why the MRA screen would be so much better, but people seem to like it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't have one yet, but I like powerbronze's look. Not so much a fan of the MRA look. Waited around year to see what Zero-Gravity-Racing would come up with and then gave up on their slow development process. Too bad, I was happy with Zero-Gravity on my previous bike. Powerbronze should be on the way to my house soon! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Powerbronze will customize the screen - they are made to order so you probably have time to make a change if you want. I ordered full clear (no fade/tint on the bottom) and no GSX logo. Others have just omitted the logo. I thought the fully clear looked awesome - although the lines of their screens fit the bike really well, so I think they'll all look good.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here's a hint: I think others have struggled with assembly, trying to get the spacers on the bolts and everything lined up. I removed the stock screen, then pulled the rubber bungs out from the bike. The bolts thread into the bungs and tighten when torqued down, so I loosly started the bolts in the threads, then pushed the bungs back into the bike and tightened everything down. I used a little spit to lubricate the bungs so they'd slide in easier, but then dry and provide the necessary friction.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Here's a hint: I think others have struggled with assembly, trying to get the spacers on the bolts and everything lined up. I removed the stock screen, then pulled the rubber bungs out from the bike. The bolts thread into the bungs and tighten when torqued down, so I loosly started the bolts in the threads, then pushed the bungs back into the bike and tightened everything down. I used a little spit to lubricate the bungs so they'd slide in easier, but then dry and provide the necessary friction.
I put the lower bolts in loosely, then tilted the screen out and installed the upper spacers. The rubber washer fits slightly snug on the bolt and helps keep it from falling out. I've changed all the spacers several times now and this works backwards for changing the lower spacers, too. The well nuts get a bulge on them over time from being tightened and become more difficult to remove and install.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am going with the dark tint look. All the pix that I have seen of it (in tinted form) did not have any GSX logo. Only the transparent faded to black had a logo. Is this logo a sticker that I can remove if i end up with one and not liking it? It usually is only a sticker (as the case with my former one on my FZ6R, another brand though).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll be looking to replace the bolts with black ones too, for a cleaner look, especially with a black tinted screen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
On their website, the black or dark tint (not sure which one is pictured) does not have that logo. Only the transparent with bottom shade. I have always assumed it was like that. But I have emailed them anyway. I'd prefer no permanent logo. Thanks for the heads up Joe!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I got the light tint with the black lower section. I don't have an objection to the logo or the dark part, as what's behind it is black anyway, just hides the spacers and makes the front look a little smoother. Now those chrome screws...

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I got the light tint with the black lower section. I don't have an objection to the logo or the dark part, as what's behind it is black anyway, just hides the spacers and makes the front look a little smoother. Now those chrome screws...
I like the looks of it that way too. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah the guy at Powerbronze thought I was strange to order w/o the black bottom half. But my approach was to go totally clear so the shield doesn't stand out - it does just the opposite, and disappears. I think it worked out really well - all the attention went to the bike, even the detail in the meter cover or whatever. If you're going with any tint or color, then I don't think there's a point to make that kind of change.

I just mentioned it earlier so the whoever orders one knows they have some options - and that Powerbronze is super easy and friendly to work with.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, only options are discussed. As you can tell, we all like different setups. Nothing wrong with that. Whatever floats your own boat is what matters! :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I might have gone the same route, but couldn't really make up my mind. So I just did an easy order on ebay and the options were limited. I was a little leery of the two-tone at first since the pic by itself looks a little strange, but actually fits in on the bike.

Reactions: Joe Garfield

·
Registered
179 Posts
FYI, powerbronze confirmed their dark screen did not have any logo, as we would not see much of it. :) Which means the logo is printed on the inside of the glass. Better safe than sorry anyway!

·
Registered
987 Posts
FYI, powerbronze confirmed their dark screen did not have any logo, as we would not see much of it. :) Which means the logo is printed on the inside of the glass. Better safe than sorry anyway!
The logo on my two-tone is in the black part of the screen and in silver color. Must be put on the screen before the black.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts